I may be THE FIRST.... Nah, I can't be...

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
supra13's;1877450 said:
I wander what the #1 and #2 main bearings look like? If the load wasn't even between the two it might cause it to crack?

#1 bearing is down to the copper and #2 looks almost perfect. I had the bottom end rebuilt less than 15,000 mi ago. My oil pick still looks brand new!!! It's crazy.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
GrimJack;1877667 said:
The only guy I've heard of who has damaged a crank is Mibrum on his rail dragster, and even that didn't break, it twisted, IIRC. And that car is, well, a bit above 425 at the wheels. ;-)
How does that even happen? The resistance from slicks and trying to move a 2000 lb car all fighting each other cause that much stress on the crank?

RogueCustoms

Apr 7, 2012
As I said earlier... I grew up with the Hot Rodders, gear heads, and muscle. I've never heard of a crank breaking or cracking... But, it would happen to me. I love my MKIII... I don't quite know if it has the sentiment...

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Smashey;1877939 said:
this rail dragster at 425?

[video=youtube;9loVGkCVQ-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9loVGkCVQ-M[/video]

Ahh I believe he was trying to be sarcastic "well above 425 at the wheels" :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
RogueCustoms;1877934 said:
As I said earlier... I grew up with the Hot Rodders, gear heads, and muscle. I've never heard of a crank breaking or cracking... But, it would happen to me. I love my MKIII... I don't quite know if it has the sentiment...
Seen a few over the years... "MAGNAFLUX" is King

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
te72;1877909 said:
How does that even happen? The resistance from slicks and trying to move a 2000 lb car all fighting each other cause that much stress on the crank?
Quoting from memory here... something about fuel washing past the rings and contaminating the oil, so he didn't have enough lubrication on the crank.

Angry7M;1877948 said:
Ahh I believe he was trying to be sarcastic "well above 425 at the wheels" :)
Guilty as charged.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Orion ZyGarian;1877997 said:
More like magicflux...what sorcery is this that shows us cracks in unbreakable metal??
The theory behind it is actually quite simple. Pass a magnetic field through a chunk of metal. The field is quite happy flowing through the metal, but not so happy flowing through air. Now, spray iron dust on the part. The magnetic field is happier with metal to flow through, so where ever there is a crack, the magnetic field will attract more of the iron dust to fill the crack.

Not an entirely accurate explanation, but it's simple enough that the layman can understand it.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1878395 said:
Got the guided tour at my Crank shop and watched it in action, cool stuff :)
We had a box with a kit of it at my last job. Not quite sure why, as it isn't really something that would come up at our little operation, but I always did want to play with it. Can't imagine it is cheap enough to be "playing" with though...

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
MPI consumables are dirt cheap. Costs a bit to get into for the backyard mechanic though.

If the crank didn't fail due to a casting flaw that was brought out of hibernation by increased engine ou, its possible that the machinist managed to gouge the fillet radius of the journal creating a stress riser. Stress riser = fatigue crack. How long had that crank been in the engine since last rebuild? 10^7 fatigue cycles is around 55 hours at an average of 3000 RPM.

RogueCustoms

Apr 7, 2012
adampecush;1878904 said:
MPI consumables are dirt cheap. Costs a bit to get into for the backyard mechanic though.

If the crank didn't fail due to a casting flaw that was brought out of hibernation by increased engine ou, its possible that the machinist managed to gouge the fillet radius of the journal creating a stress riser. Stress riser = fatigue crack. How long had that crank been in the engine since last rebuild? 10^7 fatigue cycles is around 55 hours at an average of 3000 RPM.

Crank has about 65k miles on it....