I may be THE FIRST.... Nah, I can't be...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
RogueCustoms;1876013 said:
Has anyone seen anything like this crank before???

Yes, on a 2000 Corolla. Meaning a short block just coming apart. It has been a while so I am not sure on the year. Manufacturing defects do happen. I don't know that is your problem, but that looks like a fairly clean break. By clean I mean going across and not following the weight. The Corolla, (low rpm) tossed a rod and it tore through the now aluminum blocks. No rhyme or reason. When it is out, you can inspect it more closely at all sides to see if it was outside influences.

Notsafe1jz

Aug 16, 2012
Ohio
What did the top of the piston look like?

That break looks way clean and has to be contributed to something, especially in the location it's in.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprarx7nut;1875805 said:
Speaking of, there's a dumb toyota tundra commercial recently where they brag about a forged steel crank. Right, because that's special. Not like every modern car uses forged steel...
Buddy of mine who is a Mustang collector/hoarder seemed rather surprised that Supras came from the factory with a forged steel crank. I guess this is something fancy in the domestic world. That may be who said Tundra commercial is aimed at?

As for the snap Ryan, I'm wondering what the #1 cylinder wall looks like. I'm wondering if something didn't get momentarily "stuck". Never seen a counterweight break like that. Will be following this thread for the carnage pics. :)

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
te72;1876322 said:
As for the snap Ryan, I'm wondering what the #1 cylinder wall looks like. I'm wondering if something didn't get momentarily "stuck". Never seen a counterweight break like that. Will be following this thread for the carnage pics. :)

I'll be taking it apart this next... Pics to follow. And believe me... I'm looking forward to see what's going on.