How to Mount an ipod / itouch in a Supra?

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I'm sick of my itouch sitting in the coin tray and would like some ideas on where/how to mount it so it is easily visible and easier to control.

Ideas anyone?

Shaz

You are being, illogical
Jan 12, 2009
Brownslow, London
As I said in OT, possibly a dock in the ashtray, although I'd hope for a more sturdy mounting point than that. I plan to run a headunit-less system so I'll need this sort of set up.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
This may be a dumb question, but how does a headunit-less system work?

I only listen to my itouch these days, so it sounds like something I would be interested in!

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
Does your current headunit have full iPod control, or is it just connected with an Aux In? i.e. do you need to play with your iPod whilst driving, or can you select tracks, etc. from you headunit.

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
Ah OK, I can see why you want a decent mount then.

My DD has a full control headunit, so my touch lives in the glovebox and I make all track selections, etc. through the headunit.
Heaps easier IMO, and this way your iPod gets charged while drving too...
Plug it in and forget about it :)

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
Here's my solution to ipod interaction.

p1490074_1.jpg

p1490074_2.jpg

Still gotta install the thing.. but not bad for twenty bucks:naughty:

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Would be keen to see other pics of people's setups :)

I really don't want to buy another headunit, as I'm not really into sound or audio and can't justify spending money on that kind of stuff.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Here's mine, basically take the pin out of the back of the ash tray, drill a hole and insert the headphone jack cable through the back of the tray. Get a 90 degree earphone jack adapter and connect it to the cable. Take a piece of plexi glass and cut out the hole so the iHome adapter fits in and drill a hole for the 90 plugin to stick through. Once you've done that just epoxy it all and put the pin back in so it stops the tray from sliding out, it works great. Here's mine.

p1490085_1.jpg

Shaz

You are being, illogical
Jan 12, 2009
Brownslow, London
Don't you find it interferes with the heater controls?

In the Golf I have a fairly simply headunit-less setup.

Speakers > Amp > RCA front and back to 3.5mm > Headphone splitter (3.5mm) > Cheapo iPod dock with 3.5mm input then an iPod extention cable which runs into one of my dash blanks and that lets me mount the iPod.

I'll try and post up a picture or something but it's pretty useless visually as far as mounting in a Supra goes. I forgot about the heater controls... I really need the car back so I can have a good look at where I want to mount it.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
gurley - are there adapter things available that will let you dock the itouch/iphone with a cover on it?

Looking at yours made me realise mine won't fit with the cover on :(