How many MPG do you get on your supra?

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
Shawndude said:
Remember kids, the stock gas tank holds 70 liters or 18.5 US gallons. The car will run out with about 5 liters still left in the tank. So even if you're getting crappy 20mpg (US), you should be able to rack up 350+ miles on a tank.

Ignore the useless orange light on the fuel gauge when judging how much gas you got left. When you fill up, take note how much it took, to really see where you stand.
wow are you serious :aigo: the last 3 times i filled my car up, it was very close to being empty but it only took 13 gallons to fill up each time

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
Yea shawndude is right - around 18.5 gallons. The sticker on these cars said 18 MPG CITY and 23 MPG HIGHWAY.

I am getting an average of 23 MPG city/highway driving. I have the Lexus/550/Walbro/AFPR mod. Boost to around 12 PSI with stock turbo.

I found that my "super" monitor is/was always wrong in the MPG, RANGE (miles left in the tank) and gallons of fuel used statistics. The only things that are exact are the calendar, clock, and timers.

I've been tracking the mileage for 6 years now, off and on at the beginning when it was stock and with the mods. Most of the time the car got between 22 to 25 MPG throughout the process. It was at 25 MPG when my fuel pressure was way too low for the Lexus/550 upgrade and I was running lean. Not long but I know it was not smart. I would worry if I got 28 to 30 MPG on the average.

It's as shawndude says: just run the car for even 200 miles and fill it up until it automatically clicks - I even go to the same pump at the same local gas station if I can. Then just do an average - mileage on the odometer divided by the number of gallons displayed on the pump. Easy.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Guessing between 20 and 40 mpg...my odo doesnt work so I'd have to go off of how my gauge reads, which isnt good at all as everyone knows! I'm happy with how long I can go and even only on half a tank...cant wait for my MAF-T and get some basic stuff situated to get better even..

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
are there any ways to try and improve this 13 mpg my supra is getting and now im wondering why my gas tank size is only 13 gallons. :1zhelp:

CassMori

Boost Addict
suprajjang said:
are there any ways to try and improve this 13 mpg my supra is getting and now im wondering why my gas tank size is only 13 gallons. :1zhelp:

Maybe you're not letting it get as empty as the rest? With mine, I generally get about 14.5-15 gallons in it, if I let it go until the little light comes on, it starts to sputter in curves/when I turn/acceleration. Even then, I've never gotten up to 16 gals. in it, but the pump can't reach the rest. I've got 550s now, but even with the old, uncleaned JDM 440s, I was getting about the same mileage. As someone said earlier, try the o2 sensor, maybe some injector cleaner. Definately something wrong, unless you drive around with your foot on the floor all the time.

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
CassMori said:
Maybe you're not letting it get as empty as the rest? With mine, I generally get about 14.5-15 gallons in it, if I let it go until the little light comes on, it starts to sputter in curves/when I turn/acceleration. Even then, I've never gotten up to 16 gals. in it, but the pump can't reach the rest. I've got 550s now, but even with the old, uncleaned JDM 440s, I was getting about the same mileage. As someone said earlier, try the o2 sensor, maybe some injector cleaner. Definately something wrong, unless you drive around with your foot on the floor all the time.
i have already used some injection cleaners and a new o2 sensor is on the way so hopefully it will be better

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
25+ on the freeway with the AC on. Under 20 around town. I think the bigger turbo (SP61GT) has increased my mileage (harder to hit positive manifold pressure). I averaged 23 on a trip with 350 miles freeway and 90 miles around town.

I don't beat on the car on a regular basis though.

Maroon88

I collect BHG's
May 3, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
Mine gets good mileage on the freeway at about 75, gets about 30 MPG.

A couple of trips I have done.
Cincinnati to Chicago - 10 gal.
Cincinnati to Las Vegas - 5 1/2 fillups of about 13 gal each over 2050 miles

Around town with mixed driving, I go about 220 miles on 3/4 tank

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Gas mileage is directly attached to boost levels. :)

More boost, more fuel.

Also your state of tune really comes into play in how well your car runs. IF your running rich to save the motor and run more boost, your going to get crappy gas mileage. If your O2 is bad, same deal. Plugs, wires and other stuff that affects how well your engine runs also affects your gas mileage. (Misfires are just wasted fuel.)

On that note, last time I checked, with an extended run from Boise to Pocatello, I averaged 28mpg on cruise control at 82mph. (No boosting was done, or very minimal amounts.)
This was with idle vac clamped off to the AFPR, and showing 2.5v at the check connector. (Stock base fuel map.)

My mods at the time were a SS Stage V BB CHRA 60-1, 3" exhaust out, no cats, HKS catback, 550's and Lexus meter. Larger FMIC and hardpipes etc. Also had 275/50/17's on there at the time. (Slightly larger than stock, so you get slightly better fuel economy due to the "higher" final gear.) And this was on a 165k mile motor. :)

New engine is running richer than I'd like, but I can't get the Vf signal to produce 2.5v, only 3.4v.... Not sure why. Also have been getting terrible fuel mileage, but I'm into the boost all the time, so one tank in about 180 miles is not bad right? LOL

albertmdh

Apr 7, 2005
Fredericksburg, VA
I ride the hell out of her and never get below 20mpg, best recorded was like 26. My girlfriends '88 corolla, meanwhile, just went 570 miles on a tank, which is about half the size of our supra tanks.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Under optimal conditions:
Pure highway, car already warmed up, non-stop driving from fill to refill, maintaining 70MPH, ambient air temp above 50F
I just about always would get 400+ miles on a full tank.

I have driven non-stop from New York State to Florida a couple of times.
I have also driven back from Austin, Texas to my NY State on a tour.
So I have much experience with pure highway, non-stop driving as I mentioned as optimal conditions.

If you do the math, you will see it is not hard:
16 gallons X 25MPG = 400miles a tank.
25-26MPG is the best average I could get when looking at my 'super computer' during refills.

My car was stock, but I don't think that really matters.

I do believe that NA's would have slightly better mileage because of their higher compression motors. That is a feature of higher compression: better gas mileage.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
lol, before i got my car tuned up i could say i was getting like 17 mpg Max. so yea SOME NAs have better gas mileage. but mine didnt at the time.