How I spent this months allowance .......

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Just read all ten pages of your buildup, glad to hear your car is up and running now, after all that hard work. :thumbup: That automatic tranny teardown looked like some BS to work on :aigo:, props for that. Are you looking to do a 5spd conversion later down the road? How much mileage is on your car? (If you don't mind me asking) Any recent pics?

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
No 5 spd swap for me. I actually enjoy the ease of the automatic. Right now there is only 89k on the odometer. The car spent most of its life with people that didnt understand how to work on these cars. Hopefully by the end of this week I will have al the peices together and can get some pics of it all back together. Need to finish polishing and painting the wheels also.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Yeah if i did a mk3 turbo again I too would stay auto. (but I love my 5spd in my mk2) How much did you shim the acumulators? Did you alter the line pressure as well?

Im glad its coming together for you. Your hard work is paying off.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I used aluminum rods that are just slightly smaller then the accumalator springs. Didnt do anything to alter the line pressure. The 1-2 shift always breaks traction. It is a very firm shift. Some might find it uncomfortable. I can tell it is going to be a challenge in the rain. For the most part the car is a pure joy to drive now.

Was out Saturday playing with it and freind shot some video of it. The other car is a 03 Passat with a 35R. He won the race by half a car length at the end of the track.

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/tdavis73/?action=view&current=videos010.flv

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
ms07s;1130799 said:
Damn, not bad keeping up with that VW. Same one from RVF? Only together a few days and already racing.:naughty:

I didnt build it to sit in the driveway and idle. :naughty:
Ya, same VW. He was on street tires so I had some kind of chance.

mk3design;1131069 said:
Nice vid! I own a 03 Passat 1.8T(DD) along w/the Supra

Thanks. Those VWs have more potential than most people give them credit for. Surprised me the first time I saw it run.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
*Blows dust from thread*

Been a while since this was updated so will go through the cliff notes version.

The car ran great when I got it all together. Was coping with fuel cut when I decided I would install a Lex AFM and back my timing down. Didnt properly tighten my CPS bolt and it fell full advanced on me. Ended up with a BHG. Tore the engine down and did a complete rebuild on it. New pistons rings and bearings. Also did more modifications to my transmission valve body to raise the line pressure and shift points and installed new Raybestos clutches and metals. The stock clutches were not taking the abuse as well. Rounding out this forced upgrade session are, in no particular order, JVTR 3 core aluminum radiator, RX-7 oil cooler and lines w filter relocation, larger trans cooler, Walbro fuel pump, Aeromotive AFPR, 680cc injector, 4.30 LSD, Eiback springs and Tokico blue shocks, ST swaybars and MAFT Pro w speed density.

The car is still not fully assembled as too many other things are taking my time and money. Am really hoping to have it running by the end of this month.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
To keep myself breathing...

Honestly didnt take too many pics along the way but here goes some of it..
Wiring in the MAFT Pro and LC-1

p1321419_1.jpg

p1321419_2.jpg

p1321419_3.jpg

The engine as it sits right now waiting for me to finish it.

p1321419_4.jpg

p1321419_5.jpg

Am walking out the door to finish building the mount for the oil cooler. Will try to take pics if it with the new wheels and stance to it.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Really would need to clean the whole car before pics. Almost 6 months of being pushed around the back yard and it is not looking good.

Almost done making the brakets for the cooler. Then I have to figure out the overflow bottle. It would be easy except I really would like to keep my low fluid indicator.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Wonder if a cressida overflow has the same sensor? That or just get a smaller batery and have it next to the radiator.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Pics from today..

Went ahead and snapped this pic of the ST sway and Tokico blue hiding under everything just because.

p1321743_1.jpg

The big fun was getting the RX-7 oil cooler mounted up.

p1321743_2.jpg

p1321743_3.jpg

p1321743_4.jpg

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Made more progress this weekend. Got all the AN fittings and hose routed and installed. Was able to get the IC bolted back on and pipes in place. And finally put the front bumper back on!! Evreything was going fairly well if not a bit slow.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Had to make damn sure those lines dont move anywhere I dont want them to.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Had moved into the engine compartment mounting up the accesories (PS and AC) when I decided to test fit the radiator. First, I wish I had found this thread. It describes all the problems I just now discovered. I decided to go with this radiator due to this statement however.

Grimsta;871725 said:
ZANKOKU PERFORMANCCE
JVT RADIATORS
For those of who dont know, Zankoku will always give you the best rads and the ABSOLUTE lowest price. And of course, JVT's rads fit perfectly better than Megan's or Mishimoto's AND the custom top mounts are included making it a drop in affair. The stock fan shroud even bolts up fine to these.

2 Row- $168.10 + shipping (& tax for Cal.)
3 Row- $213.60 + shipping (& tax for Cal.)

Seems like hidden fees? I dont think so, look at this. The 2 Row at $168.10 shipped within California is $199.55 OUT THE DOOR!!!! Thats about $11 less than before. Who loves you baby,

Before I can make it a drop in affair, I will have to modify the lower mounting tabs. Then order electric fan setup with thermostat. Then rebuild the top brakets. Then I can have a 'drop in' raditor.

Here is the included brackets.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And the radiator.

sm_photo_missing.jpg