Gurley's 92 Teal 2JZ Project

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Got the holes all filled and bondo'd and spent last night painting it. Went with a single stage acrylic enamel and had a fellow supra owner spray it for me. I gotta say, the engine bay made me cry it looked so good. lol

p1510925_1.jpg

p1510925_2.jpg

p1510925_3.jpg

p1510925_4.jpg

p1510925_5.jpg

p1510925_6.jpg

p1510925_7.jpg

p1510925_8.jpg

Last edited:

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Thanks! Not really sure yet im really liking the result that it came out with, but most likely I might....didnt have any orange peel so well see.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Well motor came in today! got it unloaded and dug into it a little bit to see the condition...the outside is super salt stained, but that is ok i was going to sand blast the parts anyways. Took forever to take the valve covers off cause they were stuck on. But when I opened it it was SUPER clean on the inside. So i was really happy. Then I started to take a look at the turbos next, the back one I exposed and it looks brand new no chips or anything. By this point i was getting really happy. Well got to the little turbo, exposed it and oil came out...then I look and there is a huge chunk missing in one fine. Next I go to spin it and its pretty much seized. :( so I dont know if I want to just try to get it rebuilt or to look for some USDM turbos. Im kinda leaning towards the USDM choice as it will be better in the long run. I also dont have the money to go single so that is not an option. Besides that I hope to get to the bottom end soon and see how that checks out. Fingers crossed. My guess is that the turbo caused the owner to just trash the motor at an early age by the looks of things.

p1512373_1.jpg

p1512373_2.jpg

p1512373_3.jpg

p1512373_4.jpg

p1512373_5.jpg

p1512373_6.jpg

p1512373_7.jpg

BAD TURBO
p1512373_8.jpg

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
The problem im running into is that all work has to be done by a ASE certified Mechanic and they have to fill out a form and communicate to the company. Otherwise no warranty will be given, even then they make it sound like that they will not cover it because it is not necessary to the motors function, for instance they dont warranty water pumps, or alternators, and those kinds of parts. I think I might have found a guy selling a cheap set so I will see how that goes.

And Yes I do LOVE the color too :D :D

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
Looking good Dustin! Your going to have you car done before mine. The paint turned out really nice I am very happy considering all the conditions where against us.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Crypton2006;1512568 said:
Looking good Dustin! Your going to have you car done before mine. The paint turned out really nice I am very happy considering all the conditions where against us.
Ya you did a pretty good job with the painting, my prep work could of been a little better.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
The engine bay looks good. One thing, head to your speed shop and get a bag of engine harness loom in all different sizes. I got one that had many different sizes in one bag. When I painted my engine bay over with the bright red and put new loom everywhere and coupled the whole side of the fuse box, it looked really nice. Too cold outside and my car is covered in snow, but it has a covering over it so it is protected, or I would have taken some pictures.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
loki2043;1517374 said:
That color is nice! I'd like to paint mine soon.. do you have any info on that color code or anything like that?
ill try to look up the paint code when I get back into town, It was used to match the color that the previous owner painted but turned out slightly more metallic though I do enjoy it more and will be re doing it that color when the car is repainted.

IBoughtASupra;1517390 said:
The engine bay looks good. One thing, head to your speed shop and get a bag of engine harness loom in all different sizes. I got one that had many different sizes in one bag. When I painted my engine bay over with the bright red and put new loom everywhere and coupled the whole side of the fuse box, it looked really nice. Too cold outside and my car is covered in snow, but it has a covering over it so it is protected, or I would have taken some pictures.

I agree I am going to re wrap the harness but I am going to use some braided split nylon that I got to cover up the harnesses and give them that fresh look. I actually hate the corgated split loom. Here is the link of the company that sells it if anyone is interested...

http://cableorganizer.com/f6-wrap-around/

As for the update I bough a used JDM tubo to replace the one that was bad from a member on here, and it will be here monday. Last weekend I took my turbo inlet and charge piping, intake manifold, and valve cover to be sand blasted so now they are ready for powder coat. The supplies for that will be here later this week. Also ordered the water pump, belts, and some other swap parts from Driftmotion and those should be in as well. I got the motor mounts put on the motor and have scrubed the motor clean. So once the parts are in I can really start moving along on the project again.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Alright been a while but the updates are that I have degreased the outside of the motor and got the swap brakets on. I picked up a used jdm turbo and couldnt see spending 200 dollars extra on the USDM to only make 30hp more. So I got that back on the manifold and those will be going back on this weekend. Today I got all the other parts for motor i.e. water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, power steering line, oil sensor line, spark plugs and powder coat. The plan for the weekend is to get the motor on the stand and put on the oil pan on and button everything up. Also going to powder coat all the sandblasted parts that Albert did for me. Also ordered my intercooler and that will be in next week. Heres some pics

p1521167_1.jpg

p1521167_2.jpg

p1521167_3.jpg

p1521167_4.jpg

p1521167_5.jpg

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
No not really interested in the gaskets I need to save up for the custom drive shaft as I will be staying auto. Besides I dont see how they can make all that difference when there are coolant lines in the manifold. lol

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Well here's some pics of how my powder coat is going to turn out. I am extremely happy with the way the valve covers turned out for using a Harbor Freight powder coat gun. Anyways this is the same color that will be on the turbo piping and the intake manifold. The project probably wont get finished up till may now because Ive had to pay some Vet bills so everything is kinda on hold again. Ill be able to finish the powder coating of all the parts and the assembly of the motor but I don't have the money for the IC piping, custom drive shaft, and the exhaust.

p1522458_1.jpg

p1522458_2.jpg

p1522458_3.jpg