Gurley's 92 Teal 2JZ Project

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Im starting a second build thread for the direction that I want to take my car. I got the car in April and since then it has gone through a crash into a chain link fence from being stupid, to blowing the 7m motor do to a coolant leak that I did not catch.

The 7m motor had 113K miles on it and I managed to update the intercooler and piping, put a ct-57 turbo in and install a map-ecu. The car had a general tune on it and I was able to do 14lbs daily. Never dyno'd it but estimated about 310hp to the wheels since it was a auto and did not have full 3 inch exhaust. Here is what the motor looked like last when it ran.

p1488593_1.jpg

The coolant leaked forced me to experience all loss of coolant in the motor over a 150 mile trip one morning and I experienced no signs of over heating. (Let's not argue about this it was discussed in another thread) By time I noticed the leak the motor had over heated so much that the motor shut itself off and melted the spark plug boots for 2 & 5 cylinders into the head.
p1488593_2.jpg

p1488593_3.jpg

p1488593_4.jpg

So as a result I pulled the motor to see what really went wrong, and as a result it was a small cut on the water neck hose is what caused the leak. The head was so over heated that it was visible that the intake side was about 1/8'' higher than the exhaust side when you looked at the back of the motor. When the studs were taken out the exhaust side felt they were torqued at 60lbs and the intake probably around 120lbs. The head was originally torqued to 85 when the HG was done at 101K miles. Also it looks like that piston number 2 experienced breaking of one of the piston rings because it is causing a major scratch on the cylinder wall.
Random pics of the pull:
p1488593_5.jpg

p1488593_6.jpg

p1488593_7.jpg

p1488593_8.jpg

p1488593_9.jpg

p1488593_10.jpg

Last edited:

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
p1488594_1.jpg

p1488594_2.jpg

p1488594_3.jpg

p1488594_4.jpg

p1488594_5.jpg

p1488594_6.jpg

p1488594_7.jpg

p1488594_8.jpg

I had too do this shot

p1488594_9.jpg

Well this brings you up to date of where Im at now.

Since the supra is out of the picture it was time that I got a new DD so I picked up a Nissan Altima.

Since I now have a DD I have chosen that I want to take my time and do a 2jz swap into the car. The reason is not that I want to make ridiculous power its just that I want to have something unique and wanted to try a JZ series motor. My plan is to run stock on twins for a long time and see how those do.

While the 7M is out the engine bay its getting cleaned and I am going to fill in all the miscellaneous holes that are scattered within the engine bay.
After that is done I will be sanding it and prepping it for paint so that it matches the current color and not the darker worn version that it is.

My goal for the car is to have a very simple clean engine bay that can match the cleanliness of the car, and to have it as a weekend warrior.

Last edited:

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
sucks that it overheated that way, i was sure to replace hoses such as that and the ones behind the head so hopefully i don't have to worry about any leaks

good luck with the 2j build, will be nice when its done

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Mr.PFloyd;1488687 said:
lol forgot to drain the tranny?

haha was wondering who was gonna say something...no we drained it, it was just what was left in the torqu converter and it like to run if u let it sit. Ended up epoxying the floor after we pulled the motor haha.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
jugodegolf;1488710 said:
Well your knee deep in it know. You gonna do the wiring yourself?

Im planning on having a local guy who does wiring harnesses take care of that for me since I cant nor want to attempt that.

Zumtizzle;1488711 said:
Are you ever going to fix the paint?

It be a damn shame if you didn't spend the money during the down time to fix it...

The paint is the next step after the motor is put in. But it wont be anytime soon, besides its only noticeably when ur about 10 feet from it or if you take pictures lol.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
damn now theres 2 teals off the road! lol

yeah i was going to do a JZ swap but i think a built 7m teal would be more rare cause all the other teals ive seen here have done 2jz/1.5jz/1jz lol!

good luck man!

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
gurley0916;1488723 said:
Im planning on having a local guy who does wiring harnesses take care of that for me since I cant nor want to attempt that.

The paint is the next step after the motor is put in. But it wont be anytime soon, besides its only noticeably when ur about 10 feet from it or if you take pictures lol.

It should be right BEFORE the motor gets put in. Paint the bay, you'll be happy you did..

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
If your engine bay is darker than the outside, then you should not paint the bay to match the faded outside; it doesn't make sense. Re-paint the outside to bring it back to the darker colour. Teal isn't super light until it's faded. I know, because I had a 92 teal ;).

If your plan to pain the bay is to have it done after the engine anyway, just save a bit more money up and spray the whole car and bay.
eric

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
The color in the engine bay is the original color the previous owner did a new paint job in 2007 that is why it is a different color and it is no way faded. The paint that he used was just lighter than the original. I actually like it better because it pops more IMO. I know it would be best to paint it before the motor is put in but Its gonna be awhile before I can afford paint. So this is my solution.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Update time, I was able to pick up some cheap mounting brackets and I also got a turbo rear sump set up from a local member for a great price so I don't have to do any drilling or tapping. The last two nights I have been doing a huge amount of work on the engine bay. First off I realized that the ABS lines were in the way of where I will have to bang the firewall in for when I run the twins. As a result I decided to delete the ABS system since mine was non functional. ( I know we have different opinions on this so just keep them to your self) The problem that I am facing is that I will need get the brake lines from a NA supra or make my own lines. Right now I got some tube bending pliers so I will see if i can make the pre-existing lines works.

Next I worked on the wire tuck, so far this was pretty simple. Most of the plugs on the passenger side where from the ABS so since that was gone I was just able to run those plugs under the fenders. I am also doing the complete 12v mod with relay for my walbro pump so that will get rid of the old relay and the resistor. On the driver side most of the plugs there were for the cruise control which I am removing so that fixed that issue with all plugs. I also ran my other miscellaneous wires through the fender as well.

But as of now I have the engine bay all cleaned and am going to start the wet sanding of the paint so that I can get ready for the paint and the filling of the holes. This weekend ill hopefully have a power washer to get the grime off the steering rack on under the chassis.

Day 1:
p1495008_1.jpg

p1495008_2.jpg

p1495008_3.jpg

p1495008_4.jpg

p1495008_5.jpg

p1495008_6.jpg

p1495008_7.jpg

Day 2:

p1495008_8.jpg

p1495008_9.jpg

p1495008_10.jpg

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Thanks guys!!

honestabe;1495065 said:
Looks really good man. Are you going to relocate the fuse box while you have easy access?

No no that is going to stay where its at because I dont want to have to dig around the car if one of those fuses blow, plus there isnt really any extra harness for it to move.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
I went through your thread and found the pics, it looks simple enough but im probably gonna keep it where its at atleast until the motor is all buttoned up.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Ordered the motor today and should be here next week!!!

Heres the pics of the car with the sanded engine bay. I took the areas that are going to be bondo'd down to the metal and ruffed up the rest of the paint. I currently have everything bondo'd just need to sand it down. A fellow supra owner is letting me use his air compressor and sander this weekend so that I can start working on that. After I get the motor I will be sending the harness to get done, throw the rear sump oil pan on, rip off intake manifold, and turbo piping, and valve covers and get those powder coated. I will be doing that my self as my friend has a whole set up and oven, just need to buy the powder. Progress is a little slow right now but once the motor comes in it will pick up. Main goal is to be boostin by no later then the end of march!

Pics:
p1506020_1.jpg

p1506020_2.jpg

p1506020_3.jpg

p1506020_4.jpg