• Satriani

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Vai

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Johnson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Malmsteen

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Someone I forgot, so now you are going to call me a bunch of names.

Votes: 22 57.9%

• Total voters

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
JESUS H CHRIST ON A POGOSTICK WITH A CASTER!!!

NOBODY has said Eddie Van Halen?!?!?!?!

Let's see... short list of amazing players (in no paticular order):

EVH
SRV (look up Rood Mood, it's JUST him playing it, it's nuts)
Hendrix
Adrian Smith/Dave Murray (if you can name the band they're from without looking it up you rock)
Clapton (Tears in Heaven sounds soooooo simple...NOPE!)
Satriani (who taught Vai)
Vai
Mark Tremonti

ok, getting bored...

Maybe this pole should be best one alive? We've lost quite a few great ones sadly :(

On the bass side I'm partial to Steve Harris, and he's the reason I originally picked up a base (then put it back down as I didn't really have the time for it, and it hurts like hell).

The comment about White Stripes is true. The bastard had the balls to say that SRV wasn't that good. Speaking ill of the dead is one thing, to say something like that you better be able to back it up with talent. He's sorely lacking in that department and I refuse to listen to his music or support him in any way.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
sean210;957816 said:
And as far as guitar god
Kirk Hammett

Kirk "Stacatto/sloppy" Hammet?? I doubt if he could even keep pace with ANY of the other guitarist mentioned here at 3/4 pace doing his own sloppy playing much less try to keep pace at full speed CLEANLY.

Legend only by being carried by Metallicrap but could not play on his own to save his life.

Listen to Jordan by buckethead...... learn what a guitarist that did jazz and moved to rock sounds like. That is 100% CLEAN. No Staccatto, no sloppyness and definetly no over the top distortion/overdriving.

Last edited:

sean210

Father to Be
Nov 26, 2007
indianapolis
figgie;957860 said:
Kirk "Stacatto" Hammet?? I doubt if he could even keep pace with ANY of the other guitarist mentioned here at 3/4 pace much less the real good ones. Legend only by being carried by Metallicrap but could not play on his own to save his life.

I my opinion I will have to disagree with out.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
sean210;957867 said:
I my opinion I will have to disagree with out.

you could disagree all you want :) From a facts stand point. He plays sloppy and cuts short every single note. Forget trying to change modes mid song, it is not happening with Kirk (and no, i don't mean get carried away like Yngwie either).

Hell that video you put yourself, one of his string is completely out of tune (and particularly FLAT). It sounds like complete non-sense when he is playing, and as loud as they are playing, he can not hear that shit is flat??? Come on now, any musician should be able to pick up a flat tuned string within the first chord or first sweep that uses it!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Metallica was great when they first came out.

Dave Mustaine > Kirk Hammet

I forgot to mention Mustaine in my original list as well. His solos just have that pissed off frantic sound that suites the lyrics so well.

Terry steward

Oct 18, 2007
benfleet essex
Some lesser known players are Amazing too,

Steve Morse,Dregs,Kansas and Deep Purple
Bill Nelson,,,Be Bop Deluxe
Zal Cleminson,The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
Geoff Whitehorn,,Crawler,Elkie Brooks,Roger Chapmam,Procol Harem,Bad company,The Who
Andy Powell,Ted Turner,replaced by Laurie , Wishbone Ash,
John Spink,The Outfield

And our local lad in the Uk,,,Guthrie Govan,,he is Amazing !!!
Greg Koch
Albert Lee

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
suprarx7nut;893611 said:
John Petrucci

Dream Theatre isn't really my style, but that man can play like something wicked...

I am a big DT fan so I was hoping someone said Petrucci. So many great guitar players, but technique-wise John Petrucci is amazing. And I'm the guy who named my first born Stevie Ray even though I'm a drummer lol

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Wow, talk about zombie thread revival!

I really like some of the more mellow players on the list, like Eric Johnson and Mark Knopfler. I enjoy listening to them more than the rest... however, when it comes to talent, you need a better yardstick. All the guys mentioned can play really well - well enough that the only people really capable of judging them properly are likely their peers.

However, there's not many that can *teach* newcomers how to play. Satriani is one of those, so I'd vote for him.