GreenChevelleSS's Supra Engine rebuild and Supra clean up!

head back from machine shop and getting assembled.

p1914595_1.jpg

p1914595_2.jpg

p1914595_3.jpg

p1914595_4.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I always ask, but did the shop also deck the timing cover?
Welcome back. And don't call it a turd, call it a TRD.
:)

supraguy@aol;1919121 said:
I always ask, but did the shop also deck the timing cover?
Welcome back. And don't call it a turd, call it a TRD.
:)

defiantly a TURD. It will be a TRD when Im done. haha
Yea made that mistake with the last car, and did not have the timing cover decked. I learned my lesson on that one.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, i dont normally comment on other people's fecal matter, but that's one really pretty turd you have there.

Well it looks good in pictures. The motor is no longer a turd. I will soon get the car to that status after a rebuild of the suspension brakes and drivetrain. cause it pretty much needs it all. I dont even want to drive it the brakes and suspension are scary.

p1919566_1.jpg

p1919566_2.jpg

p1919566_3.jpg

p1919566_4.jpg

OK so engine is in and running great. I am amazed at how smooth it runs, I think it idles smoother than my lexus. Power is decent still at stock boost levels. Put about 150 miles on it so far and the starter killed over. So I changed out the starter and did my first oil change. Also trying to get this nasty tint off, I am just not having a good time with it. So I pulled the hatch and am trying some other things before I damage the defroster lines.
Also changed the scary scary ball joints, now im a little more confident to drive it. Now to order some slotted rotors to get rid of the warped ones.

p1921119_1.jpg

p1921119_2.jpg

p1921119_3.jpg

p1921119_4.jpg

p1921119_5.jpg

p1921119_6.jpg

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Got to love a smoooth 7M. How much did the machine shop end up taking off the block?

GreenChevelleSS;1921119 said:
Also trying to get this nasty tint off, I am just not having a good time with it. So I pulled the hatch and am trying some other things before I damage the defroster lines.

Heat will be your friend for this. Get yourself a heat gun/blow dryer or better yet a steamer. If you get it nice and hot the glue will come off with it, so you don't have to go over it with a razor and ruin the defrost lines.

They took .016" off the block and .008 off the head. They were pretty bad.

Ive got a heat gun and a steamer, nothing is touching it. Its delaminated so the first layer is still stuck on the glass. I used our heated power washer with 0 degree turbo nozzle and it didnt even touch it. Im thinking about trying aircraft paint stripper now

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Glad to hear that your motor is running so good.
Keep us posted on how you end up getting that tint off. I'll have to do this myself soon.

well car is still running good. Got some new tires installed in the front 245/40/17s now just need to find some 275-295/40/17s for the rear.
We had some 75+ degree weather for a couple days so I got to roll with the targa off. Love it but the car feels like a flimsy convertable with it off.

p1924776_1.jpg

p1924776_2.jpg

Got to do some pulling on the front bumper support, PO hit something and wrinkled the passengers side of the bumper pretty bad. I dont know if the bumper will straighten out but I got the bumper support pulled back into place and the fog light supports all bent back. Removed what was left of the OEM front lip and need to find another one, I hate it without it and the 4x4 look.
p1924776_3.jpg

I got a BIC widemouth 3" dp installed. This pic is when I got it, I had it ceramic coated black before I installed it.
p1924776_4.jpg

I also got a 57 trim turbo for it, needs rebuild and found a local diesel place that will do it.
it has a polished compressor housing.
p1924776_5.jpg

New black zinc slotted rotors for it front and rear from ABT on ebay. Hope they work out just fine didnt want to get cheap drilled rotor due to cracking. Also will be installing wagner thermoquiet ceramic pads all the way around.
p1924776_6.jpg

I ran against one of my buddies, he has a monte carlo with a mild built 350, 305 heads with big valves and 280H cam, 3.73s th350 trans ect. His runs good for a cheap thrown together motor from spare parts we had. But I think I embarrassed him with I started pulling on him. running about 7-8psi in first around 11-12 psi 2nd and occasionally hitting fuel cut in 3rd. First time I ran the car that hard and was impressed with it until I hit the brakes at 120mph. Then I got nervous from the warped ass brakes

Thanks. Im working my ass off on it trying to get it back to nice shape.
Worked all day on her today and kicked my ass. I spent hours swapping the PS hose and the new hose leaked. Not happy and its not easy to change that thing anyways. And I get to do it again. Then decided to swap out my brakes and springs. Started on the front, everyone of the caliper sliders were rusted seized up, I worked for hours getting them unstuck, then sanding them, polishing them and then greasing em all up. What a PITA, the brake pads were only worn on the inside from this. New ceramic pads installed and the slotted rotors.
I also installed the lotek lowering springs on the front. drivers side was easy, passengers side I ended up having to pull the washer bottle and inner fender liner to get the control arm bolt out.
Still have to do the rear brakes and springs. not looking forward to it and my PS hose wont be here till tuesday.

Got the PS hose changed. Also got the lotek springs and installed them
The front is a little lower than I would like. Trying to figure out some way to put a spacer between the spring and strut mount.
p1928444_1.jpg

p1928444_2.jpg

Also found this neat cup holder/storage tray. Its from a nissan maxima and is a single din size. I put it in with this shitty JVC for now. Works and the shifter is in 3rd. Plenty of room. Just cant change the radio station easily with it.
p1928444_3.jpg

p1928444_4.jpg

Recent pic of her. Havent put many miles on it yet. maybe close to 600. Had a heater hose start leaking (the only one I didnt replace) and its the one that comes from the pipe at the back of the head and up to the firewall behind the intake. I couldnt find a molded hose local so I just put a straight 5/8" hose on it and that solved my problem with disappearing antifreeze.

after I get it tagged im ordering seat covers and redoing all the tint on the side windows. Already replace the radio again with a kenwood. and new pioneer 3.5" speakers in the mids. I got a new ebrake and shifter boot coming from empera (if the PO would cooperate) and I also need to find a new blue dash. If I get a place to do it, im gonna start fixing the dents and a respray since the paint is just falling off the bumpers.