GreenChevelleSS's Supra Engine rebuild and Supra clean up!

I bought this supra very cheap from a friend that didnt know much about mechanics. He had his Headgasket replaced twice and it blew agian and he said screw it and parked it under a tree for 2 years. Thats where I found it under the tree.

kwnate said:
It runs now right?
Yea... ill get there...

Well after dragging it home and a bunch of clean up here is what it looked like.
2145564_2_full.jpg

2145564_5_full.jpg

2145564_8_full.jpg

We had to pull the head off for the blown headgasket
2145564_16_full.jpg

Well the head was warped and eroded some so we had it decked .025" and replaced the valve seals.
2145564_35_full.jpg

2145564_36_full.jpg

Well the deck on the block was eroded pretty badly and messed up where the blown gasker was so we decided to pull it out and have it decked too.
Im glad that we decided to do that because the rings where stuck, the cylinder was pitted very badly, and the bearing were shot.
We had it decked .010" and bored .020" over.
We bought new Rock bearings
Nippon Racing 20 over pistons and chrome rings with wrist pins.

2145564_31.jpg

2145564_33.jpg

2145564_42.jpg

2145564_43.jpg

2145564_44.jpg

2145564_46.jpg

2145564_50.jpg

2145564_54.jpg

2145564_57.jpg

Well I decided to clean it up a bit too. All new Seals and Gaskets. ARP stud set. The gasket kit was a cheap one off ebay...Eristic Brand World Wide Famous...I was Impressed by how the important ones where made. There were some extras and some were missing but it was all good.

We had to rebuild the turbo since it had lots of slop and the intercooler was full of oil and there was oil everywhere in the intake. We rebuilt it our way not the way that is supplied on this forum.

Last edited:

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
What head gasket did you end up using and what did you torque the stud nuts to? I love the way the 7m looks when its all clean(mine is filthy). Nice work! Almost ready to start the mods now! So long as you can keep yourself away from the chevelle:evil2:

Not much really gonna keep it stock, Turbo Elbow and get rid of the "2 big bumps" in the exhaust pipes lol, thats what I got to say at my muffler shop anyway...When my Air Filter gets where it needs replacing im gonna make my own FIPK adapter and get an extreme air flow top cone filter...

Thanks I spent 2+ hours buffing all the scratches and grease that wouldnt come off and tar and bug guts and everything else i could find and turned out real nice... But every time I wash the thing a bunch of crap comes from the spoiler, hatch, and windows... Guess it needs to be driven in the rain to get all the crap that collected on it from sitting under the tree for 2 years... It still turned out reall nice tho. I found some recepts for $1400 bucks of body work dated 2003, so it should look nice...
What paint is the closest to the factory that I can buy in a spray can? I need to paint the center caps on the wheels and a few other things...

Yea well I think it took about 3-4 months to complete.

Well heres an update. The arp studs came loose after about 200 miles of use and I started leaking water into the cylinder. I didnt run it once I noticed it but I got in there and torqued them to 100 ft-lbs and no more smoke. I drove it agian for another 200 miles and torqued them to 100 ft-lbs and only 2 were loose all the others didnt move. I also painted the valve covers.
Its a fun car to drive but im not happy with it performance wize, its kinda slow im thinking ive got a boost leak or my BOV isnt working right and my cats are clogged. also another thing im not happy about is my 11.3MPG not to good for a 6 cylinder. I expect to get that pussy-footin the chevelle
I got new rear tires and that help this car sooo much I thought the rear suspension was shot but it was just the crappy tires that I called my drag radials cause they were so bald and they were odd sizes.

Ive been working on the interior trying to get the color back and I finally found neatsfoot oil which has been the best thing yet. of course for a week or so the interior is really oily but the really dried out leather soaks it up and its just like it should be just a little worn out. I need to fix the rips and my mother broke my passengers side seat belt holder using it as a handle. boy was I pissed so If anyone has any forsale in maroon color I need the passengers side and the drivers side screw cover.

Ive got a little over 900 miles on the rebuild now