Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
DSC04278.JPG

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Thanks for that pic Mark...

I must admit mk4 dashboard looks really nice...I have seen the center console in red..It looked really good.
From looking at the pic the mk4 dash has a bigger width.
I would still keep the stock mk3 mounting postions for the dash and gauge cluster.

How much does a mk4 dash cost? The mk3 dash i bought cost me almost $100 from the junk.Anyone have access to mk4 car?

Cheers,
Roy

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
i dont like the gauge cluster to much. the right side with shifter and whatnot looks good.
im going to try and find some pics when i get home.

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
Something for you guys to keep in mind. If you have never drivin a MK4, they feel claustrophobic if you have any size on you. I'm so so, 6 even 200 lbs, for a size ref. Yes it looks good, but man, feels like a snake is wrapping in on you.

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
outofstep said:
Something for you guys to keep in mind. If you have never drivin a MK4, they feel claustrophobic if you have any size on you. I'm so so, 6 even 200 lbs, for a size ref. Yes it looks good, but man, feels like a snake is wrapping in on you.

this is very true. i'm 5'11", 210lbs medium build. i've driven a 700hp Mkiv and if you decide to get crazy with the car you'll quickly find out that you have no room to be thrown around in the seat.

Mkiii is definitely more driver friendly.

ts_MKIII

Aug 8, 2005
Virginia Beach
well actually me and my freind took a dash of a 93 that was wrecked and tried to put it in the mkiii. after discussion and visiual aids we tried and we found that the dash on an mkiv is a little bit taller and wider hence the larger body of the mkiV but after integrating the supports and bars of the mkiii and removing some components from that of the mkiv we were able to put it in... lol but it was very sloppy and there were a couple of openings, of course considering that the dash is not going to be flush with the frame of the mkiii(the frame of an mkiv is more rounder than that of an mkiii) but i can imagine, with carfeull shaving, addition of mold (plastic,. etc)and remolding it can be done and it looks great. i mean we only saw a sloppy version( i eman the dash was held up my tape to the widsheild lol haha) but seing even that much made us happy, even the sloppy look of it looked nice.im shure that it would work and becuase the mkiii has a bit more room in the vehicle compared to that of an mkiv, those who were concerned about the whole cloesd space thing shouldnt have a problem if everything is up to par.

but thats only my input im just tryina help roy...

im kinda new to these boards so yah.

G

gotboost$

I would love to see a MKIV dash with the newer IS300 guage cluster in it. that would be sweet.

thanks

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Thanks for your input guys.

I shall be building the mold this weekend.Will take about an hour or 2 and then a few more hours to cure.

I think I shall start from scratch and take the features that we want from the mk4 dash and use it. This dash will be able to the stock gauge cluster or a custom one. Gauge clusters will be custom made as per customer and so the customer can plug it in and use it. But the first gague cluster I have in mind is after market gauges mounted with lips around the opening where the gauge slide in. I will use flush mounted screws with color coding.

Once I make the mold I will come up with sketches of the dash and gauge clusters.

I love being creative...one project that i did for another company was to build a abit bigger than life sized cat prototype and mold. I did that and the company fabricated alot the cats for their customer. Anyway the cats were sold at a function at Los Gatos, California....some sold for $500, some above $500 and some less but all were above $100. I should have kept some pictures to show you guys. I curved the first prototype out of foam and looking at a cat picture.

Anyway I wanna change the switches too so I will post pictures of the switches when I find them...

Cheers,
Roy

J

JerzeySlowpra

i think if you intergrated the mk3 and mk4 dash togehter that would be sweet, do the cockpit driver side wrap around dash like in the mk4's i've always loved that

ts_MKIII

Aug 8, 2005
Virginia Beach
hey i have a suggestion about the dash.. you should take the mkiii original dash for your base and then cut some excess off. just so you know that it will fit. then you can start to cut the face to make room for more addition. then add mold and or clay to the base mkiii dash then you can form and mold to what you need. just a suggestion.

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Ok guys here is the plan.

The plan is to make a mk4 style version for our cars. That will be the standard dashboard and on top of that will be custom made trim kits as per customer. Stock mounting positions will be the same. Arm rest will be changed to suit new dash look.

I will start modifying the stock dash and prepare it for making the mold.

That is all for now.
Cheers,
Roy

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
Just curious Roy, where do you do all of this work? Surely not in your garage.........
If so, I'd really like to see your garage! But then again, maybe my personal insurance policy won't allow me to!
HAHAHA

Good luck. I'm really looking forward to see the finished product.

Korg77

Mar 31, 2005
Moscow
You all lucky guys, cause u have a chance to buy a custom dashboard "by Roy".
what's bout me - i have to made it by myself anyway - RHD Supra :(

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Most of the fabrication is done at work but I take my projects to and fro from work and home depending if i need to spend more time on them. But usually I take my work home to work on it during the late hours at nite.

Cheers,
Roy

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Was staying at Orange 2 years ago for a little while.

I now am in Northern California...moved here for the job.

Cheers,
Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.