Gauging Interest : Complete Custom made dahboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racefiend

OH, YEAAHH!
Apr 6, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Wouldn't a fiberglass dash be kind of dangerous if you were to get in an accident? I'm assuming the finish of the dash would also look radically different than stock...

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I was just thinking about that tonight. Say you lean on it hard, it could crack, if you smack into it due to an accident it would probably break into pieces and you'd hit the reinforcing bar behind the dash pretty hard :biglaugh: I guess it would have to retain major structural parts from the stock dash, which would make it cost more cuz you'd either have to find old dashes all the time for the parts, or custom make structural ridgidity parts.
eric

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
GrimJack said:
I seem to recall a bunch of people saying the center trim piece couldn't be done either. :D If anyone is going to do it, I bet it will be tte.

Yup, and I should be getting one of those impossible center consoles from tte within the next few days.....

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
I think a FirberDash would be extremly dangerous. Like people have said, in an accident the fiber would snap and make sharp edges, probably fly around a little and poke your 2 eyeballs out lol.
If its for show cars, i say go ahead, but for street cars..everyday drivers...too dangerous..lots of work...and not sure ppl would invest in that. But thats my opinion.
Good luck with the project, hope to see some pics soon..i might change my idea and buy one :p

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Well I will talk to my friends about those issues which you guys have mentioned..i.e. fiberglass in case of an accident and see if there is a solution.
As you guys know racecars use composites inside and outside and I am sure
the design engineers would have thought of the issues in case of a crash.
In fact I have read it in some article about these crash issues when they were designing composite bodies and cockpit for F1 cars. They were worried that in case of a crash the composite would snap and get pushed into the drivers feet and legs.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Grimjack....

Cheers,
Roy

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I'll speak on behalf of tte's work.

I just received my center console from tte, and it looks great. It's very sturdy, well shaped & an overall excellent looking peice. Although I still haven't test fitted it, I doubt there will be any troubles.

tte gets :thumbup: :thumbup: from me.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
tte,
I don't know that there's much difference in a carbon laminate or a fiberglass laminate as far as in a crash. Both laminates are fiber matrix in resin.
If its impact that is the concern, kevlar has better impact resistance than carbon. But carbon is stronger than both glass or kevlar. Of course if you used enough layers it would be very hard to break or crack. I know if you use 13 layers of kevlar on a big sheet, you could jump up and down on it and it won't break.
Race cars use carbon for the superior stength to weight ratio. They also have crash cages built into the car. Not quite the same design as the Supra.
If you're considering crash characteristics, then you should know that there is also a flamability and smoke problem with these laminates. You can really overdue it with all the possible problems and analysis.

For the dash, I would think that carbon, fiberglass or kevlar would be all be suitable. The safety is not going to really affected too much.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
ok let get one thing clear here :)

I am intrested in the dash board gauge cluster BLANK (to put gauges in the stock tach/speedo/fuel level etc location. I don't care for the dash board. I don't care for the center dash trim.

A cf dash......pointless except for the "weight watcher" group.

edit: as a matter of fact. THIS is what i am looking for, for the supra though and not the chevy ;)

http://www.carbonfibrefx.com/gallery/58_relay2.jpg

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
Corvettes are nothing but fiberglass. Same quite afew Ferraris and all kit cars. A fiberglass dash is of no safety concern.

M

Makavelli

I would be interested. Can you sketch me a rough idea? I'd want something more modern, definatley sporty, with white gauges. I plan on going brushed aluminum , chrome and black leather inside, so maybe something that'll go with that...

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Hi all,

Figgie : Yes i can do that...just the gauge cluster.

Makavelli : I want the same look...black and silver interior look. I have the silver carbon fiber to make my parts out of it.

Yes, I am aware of all the properties of these composite fabrics....and after speaking to my composite friends they n i do not think that fabricating a dash out of fiberglass would pose a serious safety risk.Just as Bluemax put it.

I think it could be done...just depends on how many people would want it.
I mean if i invested all the time and money to do this and only one guy buys it then its not really worth apart from self knowledge and pride.

I could make a standard dash with mounting points for gauges or other electronics...so all you need to do is mount what you need...plug and play.

Well guys keep the questions coming in...I need to think of all possible issues before diving into this...

Cheers,
Roy

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
This sound very interesting! When you say making a dash does that mean the howl thing from one door to the other? 600 does not sound mutch at all.

I'm not good at designing things so if some one could make som sort of drawing.
And if you do this could you strech it to the armrest and make it in the same hight as the armrest? because that would be awsome. Then it would not seem like the shifter is supposed to look like big ben.

M

Makavelli

northsupra said:
This sound very interesting! When you say making a dash does that mean the howl thing from one door to the other? 600 does not sound mutch at all.

I'm not good at designing things so if some one could make som sort of drawing.
And if you do this could you strech it to the armrest and make it in the same hight as the armrest? because that would be awsome. Then it would not seem like the shifter is supposed to look like big ben.

If it's turnkey, I'm in. By Turnkey, I mean ready to slap right in. Do you take Paypal?

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Hi all,
Yes, it will be a full dashboard...from door to door...and yes that is my intend...shipped to you all ready to install...

I too like the idea of the shifter up higher like the armrest - Northsupra.
The armrest portion will be separate like the stock one and will have to be assembled.

Things i will need to decide is what people want added or not or omitted form it. I think the coin box or whatever it is besides the tems switch panel is a waste of space so I would like that removed. The long portion on the passengers sides that holds the air vent would be removed..keepin the air vent of course. I want to include channel or allowances for wiring to be run
under and into the engine back. Then you can just push a matching cover on top to hide the wiring.

I presume that people who will be wanting this custom dash would not want any of the stock setup right?

What about the stock glove box? Do you guys want this omitted or changed to hold gauges or your playstations or dvd players?

How many more people would be really interested? I need a definate count to seriously think bout this...

Let me know people. And yes i do have paypal but hold off all the money business until all is finalized.

Cheers,
Roy

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Hey Ctsupra....you read my mind...

I wanted to ask if someone who has cad help me create some drawings and I would reward him with some of my products.

cheers,
roy

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
CtSupra said:
what you should do is have somebody design them using CAD.

I use Microstation, I have for the last ten years. Unless you get the original CAD design from Toyoyta to work from & then put your design data into a machine to fabricate it for you, designing it in CAD would be a waste of time.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
tte said:
Hey Ctsupra....you read my mind...

I wanted to ask if someone who has cad help me create some drawings and I would reward him with some of my products.

cheers,
roy

Roy, PM me. I probably won't reply until Monday, so take your time...

Status
Not open for further replies.