Fuc* UPS

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
we don't take breaks with 4.5 hours shifts, and they can't fire you on the spot for showing up late, you can get a write up but its not even a slap on the wrist. Our contract says you have to get so many write ups, the you get suspended for 2 days, then a week, then termination.

Have you ever been in a union and got fucked over? Why are you so opposed to them?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
mk3_chris;1475777 said:
Have you ever been in a union and got fucked over? Why are you so opposed to them?
Because they are a leech on the face of the economy. They take a disproportionate amount of money - from YOU - and do not give back an equal value in return.

Furthermore, they advocate a system based on length of employment instead of talent or efficiency.

On top of that, they add incredibly complex rules to the responsibility list for each job position with the aim of adding staff to the payroll that also need to pay union dues.

Sit down and THINK about it. What does a company need to succeed in today's economy? The answer is simple - they need to make a good product in the most efficient manner at the lowest cost. There are several union practices that make this impossible.

For example, need to cut staff? This happens, in the real world. Ideally, you cut the worst - the lazy, the incompetent, the folks that would rather bitch and argue than buckle down and do the job. However, the union insists that you must cut the people from the bottom of the seniority list. The workers that are screwing up your efficiency are still there.

Unions do not concern themselves with your long term future. They are not interested in efficiency, hard work, or keeping the company that pays your wages around. The top priorities for a union are keeping the workforce paying dues with the smallest amount of intervention possible and increasing the number of people paying dues in order to boost their revenue. Their success is not dependent on yours.

A union is the *perfect* example of an organization that is perfectly willing to shoot, roast, and eat the golden goose.

How about you provide the opposite - an example of something, anything, that the union provides worth having.

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
Well i believe the union is worth having for when your
company that pays your wages
doesn't pay whats owed to you. WHICH happens quite often at ups, they right now are looking out for the employee(me). So in this case I'm more than willing to pay them a small % of money if it means that they are keeping me from getting fucked out of 10 times that about of money. Also if you leave our particular union on good terms you get a % of the money you pay them back.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
So, how often has the union done this for you, and how long does it take them? Compare that with how much they have taken off your pay.

For example, if this has happened 6 times, and it takes the union 10 minutes to deal with it each time, and you have paid them $100 during this time, then they think they are worth $100 / hour.

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
They haven't started taking union dues, but its $20/month, and their getting me my back pay which is $200, plus 4 hours of pay per week that ups doesn't give me my back pay. Also the $1 raise they are getting fixed for me will make me get and extra $20 per week. PLUS we're getting a 1.50 union raise on the next contract next year. So even after I pay them I'll still make more $, also I know quite a few people that have had their jobs saved, and no they aren't shitty they are actually good hard workers.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
Unions had thier place once upon a time, long, long ago.

now they seem to do much more damage than good.

When i first started driving, there was a very large ltl company called consoldated freight, cf for short. they were a union shop. when the contract came up, the union was asking for a raise that was frankly, insane. and they would not budge, period. long story short, cf folded, they simply could not operate under the dictates of the union. 20,000 some odd people were tossed out on the streets, without warning. I found it funny that while some of these people were walking out the door, there were recruiters on the sidewalk handing out apps for non-union jobs, that still exsisted.

Look at the ford buy-out thread, the unions caused this.

if a union knew how to create a business, they wouldnt be leaching off other peoples's hard work. they would be creating companies and become producers themselves.(yeah, i know bho pretty much gave gm to the uaw. shame they are gonna kill the company eventually. )

in my opinion, a union is really nothing more than a form of communism. in full disclosure, i have been a union member in the past. and that union(ufcw) did save my job once, and there were some back-room deals done to make it happen. i cant talk about the details, but looking back on it with a little more wisdom, i should have walked on the spot. (local president's kid and i hung out in hs, we were all "car guys"). it was a situation where i should have lost my gig, no questions asked. i was in the hr office with the hr manager, steward, and line supervisor, and termination papers on the desk. Union president walked in, asked hr manager if he remembered "that deal we had". Pres and hr manager left room, came back, papers went in trash, and i was sent back to work. It was pure politics.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I work for ups(since 05) and never had a problem and love my job ha.

That being said, I never knew of any test to get a $1 raise and then work and unskilled position and still make that extra $1. I need to check my union book, I have one of the skilled positions so it doesn't matter. I would also not allow them to get behind on my paycheck that far. You should have did something day One and got it sorted out. If the sup. you complained to blew you off just go over his head don't keep complaining to the same person when nothing gets done.