Fuc* UPS

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I'll take your word for it, but all the FedEx drivers that have ever delivered around my area o/o their trucks. I see many parked at their houses when driving around different developments. They drive to the hub in Newburgh, NY to get loaded, deliver, then go home.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
if they are bobtails, they are line-haul, not delivery. and they are constantly monitored when under a load. like i said, even stopping for a whiz gets them a "wtf is going on?" call. they are very much held accountable for what they do. those lucky enough to still have individual contracts aren't gonna toss em away by getting service failures. if there is an issue, its the guys in the panel trucks, or the terminals.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
In my area the FedEx ground is all O/O, while the Express trucks are company owned. The ground or O/O guy will scan a package as delivered, and show up sometime in the coming week with it. If you were to track your package, it would show delivered. Then when you speak to your route guy about it, he blames it on the guy who he has contracted out to help him. Express doesn't have that problem, because their trucks are at the terminal at night to be seen. Nobody sees the O/O's truck at night, because it is at his house filled with delivered packages.

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
flight doc89;1473823 said:
Get another job.

Easier said than done. I applied for 2 men and a truck a few weeks ago which I thought would be no prob, they said that I didn't have exp. and that ups didn't count. But there aren't that many 3rd shift jobs that would be different, and at least if I got fired for stupid shit I could go through the union and get my job back.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Bigzavs;1473809 said:
i worked for UPS on the night shift for about 6 months.

ended up getting injured (gashed my leg open) at about 4am, and they talked me out of getting an ambulance and for me to drive home on my own (lost quite a bit of blood, it was actually seeping out of my shoe, just big puddle of blood in there, took 8 months to heal) and they actually had the gall to bitch me out the next day when i called in because i could hardly stand.

but if i were you man, id just say fuck it, dont piss anyone off and risk your job, trying to get 200 bucks isnt worth losing thousands by getting fired for pissing off the wrong people

Thats messed up! Not to get this thread off topic but a company is only as good as management and it's getting very, very hard to find good management for a lot of reasons.

Valid point on hundreds vs thousands and getting on someones shit list.

flight doc89;1473823 said:
Get another job. I got a seasonal job for Wolf Camera (I won't be able to keep it past xmas because I won't be able to drive an hour each way to work full time while being a full time student). I'm averaging 15/hour with no heavy labor working inside (out of the cold and rain). Don't even need a diploma/GED (I have neither; instead I had a 32 on the ACT), just show the manager that you know your shit and can work with people.

Just find a new boss and show him/her that you are willing to put in the work to learn your job (that means doing work at home). I really didn't know shit about high-end digital cameras (or even the low-end ones for that matter) when I started. Did my homework and developed my sales skills, and I went from averaging 9.00/hour to averaging 15.00/hour (without overtime pay) over 5-6 months.

Keep working while looking for better job would be prudent thing.

mk3_chris;1474055 said:
Easier said than done. I applied for 2 men and a truck a few weeks ago which I thought would be no prob, they said that I didn't have exp. and that ups didn't count. But there aren't that many 3rd shift jobs that would be different, and at least if I got fired for stupid shit I could go through the union and get my job back.

Sometimes you have to do things don't want. Suck it up and figure out what you really want to do. Point I'm making is choose a career. If it takes you a week, months or years figure out what you want to be doing and then work towards it.

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
The question wasn't should I "Suck it up" it was do you think I should try to get my back pay and risk pissing the management off or just throw $200 out the window

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
mk3_chris;1474084 said:
The question wasn't should I "Suck it up" it was do you think I should try to get my back pay and risk pissing the management off or just throw $200 out the window

Yes try and get what is owed you. I think my point is if you mindset is going to be "fu.. this company. Then you really need to figure out how long you want to be with them.

Points to consider:
1. how much/long to you want to stay there. BigAvs hundreds vs thousands is why I put that in quotes.
2. how confident are you in finding employment elsewhere. The more confident you are then the more aggressive you can be in your appoach to getting the $200.

Only you will sleep in the bed you make. If you plan on being with them then I would suggest a tactfull approach to getting the extra buck per hour that is owed to you. Something like, "Hey you know I took the test on such and such and I haven't seen the extra cash on my paycheck. Can you look into it for me? It's not a huge deal but right is right."

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
I'm working 2 jobs so if I lose that one I wouldn't be completely fucked. I mean I wouldn't mind staying if they wouldn't fuck me out of money. It really isn't hard work, full benefits and all that good stuff. It's just 200 is pretty close to a weeks pay, and I'm just thinking if I let it go they might try to pull this bull shit again.

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
i have worked in UPS before and i left for a similar reason...shit didn't get done for me. The tuition re-embursment seemed pretty easy but after working there on the late night shifts it was harder than i thought. Some of the higher up guys were pretty cool, others were a total PITA to deal with. I kept asking about my $1 raise when the time came and could never get a straight answer to it. In the end i left there.

On the positive side it was a quick backup job though after i lost my first one. Worked there for a month and a half and was just too chaotic for me. Kept me on my feet (barely) while still in school but left little room for error and i couldn't get a 2nd job cuz i was in school.

IMO if you already have another job then i would try to go after the extra $200. If you make enemies then though luck for them, you worked for that money and you deserve it.

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
I work for FedEx Ground as a driver, we keep our privately owned trucks at our terminal at night...aswell as any other terminal I know of... not sure what everyone is talking about... I am sure its different in every area though..

You package will never show delivered unless the driver scans it as delivered also, which he isnt allowed to do unless he actually does

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
kwnate;1474946 said:
Fuck unions. Time to man up.

/thread
Truth. A system designed to give preferential treatment based on how long you've been there instead of how good you are? No wonder the US is having financial troubles.

With that said, here's some advice from someone who has been there.

Try for the money, but don't sweat it if you can't get it. Don't burn any bridges - even while quitting the worst job on the planet, be polite and thankful for the opportunities they gave you. Every bit helps build your reputation - through referrals, through word of mouth, it all trickles down eventually. Sure is nice to know they'll re-hire you if your back is to the wall later, too.

It's easy to say you'll never go back when you're young, single, and can still fall back on your parents if it really gets bad. On the other hand, if you've got a couple hungry little kids and you can't bring home enough food to keep them from crying at night, you'll be glad you kept your options open.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
kwnate;1474946 said:

/thread

I am in a union and it sucks, yeah I get payed pretty good and have good benifits but it sucks.

There are people at my work who are just useless pieces of shit and nothing is ever done about it because we are in a union. I have been at my job for almost three years and have just now seen the first person fired, and it took them 6 months to fire him.

Unions are only there to take your money.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I can see both sides to the union arguement. Especially in state like Texas that is right to work, there isn't any recourse if you're fired meaning you have zero job security. And they wonder why unions are on the rise here...

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
NC is also a right to work state poo.

Edit: I'm wearing my union t-shirt right now.

Last edited:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I don't understand this right-to-work bit. Everything I read about it seems to indicate that it doesn't force you to join a union... I haven't seen anything about chopping job security.

Regardless, job security should rise from the fact that you are better at what you do than the next guy. Any company that fires people from the top (or middle) of the pile instead of the bottom isn't a place I'd want to work in the first place.

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
I've never worried about the right to work thing, I just joined the union because I don't want to listen to 130+ peoples shit everyday at work.

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc

/thread

man up and do what throw money out the window? I'm in sc which is also a right to work state and I've seen the union save quite a few friends jobs, just last week my friend daniel almost got fired for "parking in the wrong spot" even though the parking lot was full. SO when you say fuck unions i just disregard your post unless you give me a reason why i shouldn't be in the union.

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
Ok well my union stuart said the union guy over the southeast said that "they owe me money and that we're getting all of it." So we're all sitting down next week i believe and trying to come to an agreement.

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
mk3_chris;1475688 said:
Ok well my union stuart said the union guy over the southeast said that "they owe me money and that we're getting all of it." So we're all sitting down next week i believe and trying to come to an agreement.

I'd pay you the money, then fire you the next time you showed up late, or took too long of a break.