Fuc* UPS

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
Ok so the deal is I'm sick and tired of ups fucking me out of money. If any of you out there have worked for them before(you might agree) its a pretty common thing for them to not want to pay you what you should be paid. Basically I've worked for the company twice on 2nd and now on 3rd shift. They start out at 8.50/hour and after 90 days you get a raise to 9.50. They also have "skilled positions" that you take a test for and also get a 1.00 raise for if you make a 98+.

So I've been back since roughly july, took my skilled position test, and obviously should've gotten my 90 day raise to put me at 10.50, well I'm at 9.50. After continuously asking our hub manager why I had not recieved my other raise and getting no real answer I went to the union. Shit got sorted out this week and my pay is fixed from now on, but I missed out on basically $200+. One of my other higher up managers told me I have 2 options

1)try to go through the union and get back pay and risk pissing off the wrong people. (I was now informed that the "skill position raise" only applied if you were doing that particular job)
2)Or just toss my back pay out the window and not piss anyone off and he'll "make sure" I always get my top pay.

I'm probably going to do option 1 because I've decided that if they want to dick around with my pay I'll go through the union and make sure that everytime I see management fuck up I'll file a grievance(which I would got $ for). I also do work the "skilled position" at some point everyday so I would still get most of my pay for it if not all.

I'm just looking for input basically because I really hate to be the asshole, but I hate it more when people fuck with my money.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I worked for ups for like 2 months...never again...they wanted me to run the place, I did meet some really cool people there, but the people running the system are complete fucking idiots.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
IJ.;1473788 said:
Why would they pay you for the skilled position if you weren't doing that particular job?

That doesn't make sense.

They are supposed too.
Its the way they work, you pass the test you get paid for being able to do the job even if your not told to do it.

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
Because at anypoint you are able to do it. I've had to stop loading(trailors) midshift before because our pick off(he basically sorts every box that comes to our belt, which is the skilled position) hurt his shoulder. I was the only other person who was "qualified". But i have been doing the skilled position job for the past 2-3 months

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
IJ.;1473794 said:
Gee I wonder why the USA is so fucked economy wise ;)

mk3_chris;1473796 said:
Because at anypoint you are able to do it. I've had to stop loading(trailors) midshift before because our pick off(he basically sorts every box that comes to our belt, which is the skilled position) hurt his shoulder. I was the only other person who was "qualified". But i have been doing the skilled position job for the past 2-3 months

Checkmate.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
SupraMario;1473797 said:
Checkmate.

The only "checkmate" applicable here!

ansell-checkmate-condoms~178461.jpg

Show me where said before that post he'd actually been doing the skilled job?

But he DID say
(I was now informed that the "skill position raise" only applied if you were doing that particular job)

Which implied to me he hadn't been doing it....

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
Sorry I didn't realized i hadn't put that in there but yes i've been doing that job for probably 2-3 months now. But i have never had any other raise be umm.. questionable. Some days you get it some days you don't, but it isn't like they walk around the building everynight and check. They basically put it in the system and leave it alone.

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
What easier ways would you suggest? I mean I'm a part time student with 2 part time jobs. I'll take any advice I can get. Though the work isn't as hard as everyone makes it out to be.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
i worked for UPS on the night shift for about 6 months.

ended up getting injured (gashed my leg open) at about 4am, and they talked me out of getting an ambulance and for me to drive home on my own (lost quite a bit of blood, it was actually seeping out of my shoe, just big puddle of blood in there, took 8 months to heal) and they actually had the gall to bitch me out the next day when i called in because i could hardly stand.

but if i were you man, id just say fuck it, dont piss anyone off and risk your job, trying to get 200 bucks isnt worth losing thousands by getting fired for pissing off the wrong people

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
Get another job. I got a seasonal job for Wolf Camera (I won't be able to keep it past xmas because I won't be able to drive an hour each way to work full time while being a full time student). I'm averaging 15/hour with no heavy labor working inside (out of the cold and rain). Don't even need a diploma/GED (I have neither; instead I had a 32 on the ACT), just show the manager that you know your shit and can work with people.

Just find a new boss and show him/her that you are willing to put in the work to learn your job (that means doing work at home). I really didn't know shit about high-end digital cameras (or even the low-end ones for that matter) when I started. Did my homework and developed my sales skills, and I went from averaging 9.00/hour to averaging 15.00/hour (without overtime pay) over 5-6 months.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
lewis15498;1473805 said:
I would never do that much work for that little pay. There are easier ways to make more money than that.

This is easy to say while you are working. If you boss came today and said we must close the doors, and you no longer have a job, you tune may change. I use to be that way, until I was laid off. Now, I would consider working for much less, because jobs are so hard to come by right now. I guess each market has it's own circumstances though.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
lol, last year the company i drove for whored me out to ups for the christmas rush. i cant whine too much, it was great to leave the truckstop, be gone two days, and come back to find the same trucks still sitting there waiting for a load. But.....

ups is a fucking joke from an outside drivers point of view. i dont know how anything made it anywhere on time, or even at all. in the thick of the season, empty trailers were being sent from terminal to terminal. made a complete circut once(dallas, atlanta, memphis, houston, and back to dallas) and nothing was loaded or unloaded in the trailer. the yards were complete chaos, amd no one seemed to be in charge of anything.

now fed-ex, there is a group of people who have their shit straight. things ate damn near timed down to the minute.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
^Interesting, because I don't think I have ever had a FedEx package delivered on their originally scheduled date... ever.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
donno. all i see is the terminal-to-terminal traffic. hell, once i was runing an air freight load for them. stopped to take a leak. honest to god, my phone was blowing up while i was shaking my dick off. they wanted to know why i had stopped.

i think my response traumatized the lady at the other end of the line.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
mkIIIman089;1473967 said:
^Interesting, because I don't think I have ever had a FedEx package delivered on their originally scheduled date... ever.

LOL, that makes two of us!

While the FedEx trailers might be company owned and operated, the actual delivery trucks are owned by each driver, which they bring home and park in their driveways nightly. I've had things delivered up to a week after they were supposed to, and the driver's excuses are always the same.

"I'm very busy and couldn't make it here on ____ date."

I don't give a flying fuck how busy you are. When I pay for two day shipping from California, or overnight, I BETTER get it on time. I've called numerous companies and bitched until they gave me a shipping refund, especially when they say that the item is in stock, but it isn't. Ya know what? If it's not in stock, don't let me pick overnight shipping if I'm going to have to wait a fucking week for it to show up anyway!

/rant.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
shaeff;1473974 said:
LOL, that makes two of us!

While the FedEx trailers might be company owned and operated, the actual delivery trucks are owned by each driver, which they bring home and park in their driveways nightly. I've had things delivered up to a week after they were supposed to, and the driver's excuses are always the same.

"I'm very busy and couldn't make it here on ____ date."

I don't give a flying fuck how busy you are. When I pay for two day shipping from California, or overnight, I BETTER get it on time. I've called numerous companies and bitched until they gave me a shipping refund, especially when they say that the item is in stock, but it isn't. Ya know what? If it's not in stock, don't let me pick overnight shipping if I'm going to have to wait a fucking week for it to show up anyway!

/rant.

gotta dispute that one. the only o/o's in fed ex are SOME of the line-haul drivers. no o/o's on the delivery side.. and 99% of those trucks not o/o by fed-ex are owned by "outside fleets". ive been with 3 different fleets hauling fed-ex crap. they are draconian about their schedules, again speaking from the line-haul side of things, and many years actually working in the system. you would be suprised at how much of the fed-ex/ups/usps stuff is trally just contracted out