ForcedTorque's Slick/Quick Build

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
You could try hitting the flywheel with some parts cleaner to take care of the rust, then brake clean to remove any residue left behind. Whatever you choose to use, just make sure to clean last with brake cleaner.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
ForcedTorque;1316676 said:
Will brake cleaner be fine for that?

Brake clean/contact cleaner is a great product to use for all kinds of cleaning. Just be sure to keep it away from most rubber material. Tends to make it expand larger then its supposed to be.

gtsfirefighter;1316710 said:
I did not take my pan off when I replaced my rear main seal. I just used a small screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers to pull it out and then just gently tapped the new one into place.

Maybe I did it wrong but it's not leaking now.:dunno:

Scott, I would replace it just for peace of mind sake.

+1 on that, if you can get the seal out w/o damaging the machined sealing surface on the crank or the surface where the seal is pushed into, do it that way. Will save alot of time and effort.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I just got a tracking number from Zumtizzle. I should have my rear main seal here today or tomorrow. It'll probably be the weekend, as I have too many end of the school year functions to run around to this week. But who knows, I may be working by shop light tonight. No real rush, as I have to wait until I find a new harness to proceed. I also need to figure out how to get power into the car as well.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Any tips on getting the old seal out of the retainer. It is much more brittle than I thought it would be. I'm glad you guys talked me into replacing it. I'm having fun trying to get the small lip out on the outside.

Oh, and here is the lost rear seat picture. It shows the color of the shadow cloth a good bit better. I also put my JDM floormats in it for a little floor contrast.

p1320900_1.jpg

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Weekend progress

What weekend?

I got my AFC NEO, Turbo Timer, and Greddy Boost Controller all pulled from the old car, and wired in to the new car.

I got my rear main seal out, and the retainer cleaned up. But, the new gasket I have would not cooperate with me. It doesn't look like it is the right one. On the outside, it looks a little too small, and the inside doesn't look right at all. I brought it all with me, and plan to go to the parts store today and see if I can get it straight.

I also did a lot of work on the old car. I got the dash removed for Jay, and all of the rest of the parts that I have sold off of it. Then I pulled some more parts from the car to swap over to mine, like my AEM Eugo and new Boost Gauge pulled, but not yet swapped in. I planned to get a lot more done on Sunday, but plans changed late Saturday night. My son is having graduation tomorrow, and due to the ex-wife being in town, I was uninvited to his church ceremony and luncheon because she was going. Well Saturday night, I found out it was only my wife who was uninvited, and I could go. After that he had a graduation party at the ex-in-law's place. The wife was able to attend that one. Nothing better than a day with the ex-wife, while wishing you were working on the car, but I was there for my son only.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Well.......If she wasn't a bitch and POS, I might not have custody of my son since he was 1 1/2 yr old. The church luncheon (supposedly) was for the graduate and two parents only. My wife had talked to my son on the phone while we were out the other day, and he said his mother wanted to go. My wife said, "So, are we being replaced", to which he said yes. Then Saturday night, I get a call from my Mom, saying he is upset that I wasn't going??????? So there was a misunderstanding somewhere. Once I knew he wanted me there, I was there. Don't think I didn't let him know right quick if he had a problem with me, he needed to bring it to me, not go tell my Mommy on me.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Hey Scott,

Thats odd. I remember holding that seal up to a Toyota seal and it was the same just with a different color.

That was a long time ago though....................

Sumeet

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I did get the seal taken care of today. As it turns out, I didn't realize that the grove I was trying to get the outside edge into, was actually the metal center of the old gasket. I knew that I had somewhat torn a small piece of the skin on the outside edge hitting it with a hammer with several rags for protection. But, I didn't realize that it had dented as well. I bought a new one, and got it installed after the guy at the parts store pulled the old ring out. The gasket was right, it was just my inexperience with this seal. I just got home from work, and I'm gonna eat first, then the seal will get installed on the motor tonight. Hopefully in the next few days I will have my tranny mounted back up to the motor, and all of my other little projects finished by Sunday evening.

Then it will be just a matter of finding the right wiring harness to fit this car, and putting all the wiring from the entire front end back together. He had pulled it all so he could one day paint the bay. I won't be doing that this time, as I feel this paint will clean up just fine.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I did get the rear main seal in, mounted and torqued the flywheel, and got the tranny mounted up to the motor today. Tomorrow, I will go after the valve cover gaskets, and pull the turbo back off to get gasket where it goes on the turbo oil drain. Once those are done, it will all be wiring from there. I believe I have located a nice 91-92 harness, but the guy is not yet ready to sell it. That will give me a little time to sell my 89 harness so I can pay for it.