Flywheel bolts keep backing off...

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
Zazzn;1304472 said:
yeah I know IJ, but honestly, I don't feel like lifting the engine just yet.

I'm giving this a go. I canked her to 90 FTLB, (or what ever the gun did) haha ;) red permtex. We'll see if she goes, cus honestly, I really REALLY am getting tired of fixing the mk3 since it's a 6HR drive just to get home to work on it for the weekend. I really need 1 week of me and her time to work out everything that needs fixing on her.. nothing big just many little things.

Since i don't have a runout gauge, I just used the hand to feel the smoothness. I have a feeling it will vibrate loose again but we'll see maybe my chizzling, careful sanding, and the machine work on the flywheel will give me a good enough seating which isn't fully true, but good enough.

Why does the stupid shit always become such a large problem?

Stupid shit happens from doing things half assed................

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
GrimJack;1304977 said:
Oh, come on guys, that's not hard - you put the flywheel on, start it, then pull it back off again! ;)

Well it's NOT like his bolts are doing anything :D
(start it and let in run 5 minutes and the flywheel should fall off on it's own)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
that's mean.....but funny

Call up time-sert and see what they say, bet they'll work fine in your application (their sparkplug repair is fantastic, and they use em on top fuel dragsters so I'd think they'd work fine, but they'll tell you if they'd take the forces).

But even then, you have to take care of that uneven surface...

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
I agree with everyone, that yes it's not the best, but no, I don't beleve there is going to be a catastrophic, melt down. I machined the flywheel mating surface to give a good mating surface, the Crank it's self is fairly true (as good as it's going to get with out machine work. Since

#1 i was able to lightly chizzle off the fused metal since it didn't mate to the Crankshaft since it's much harder steel then the flywheel steel.

#2 There is no more high spots that i can feel.

#3 if it does manage to vibrate loose again, I'll know right away.

This is the 4 time it did it, but first 3 times I actually didn't take off the flywheel to inspect just replace the bolts. Now I know why I'll know if it happens again.

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
LoL everything is bolted up, didn't start it, don't think anyone really likes a 4" barely muffled 4" 2jz at 4:00 AM ;)

Now, I need a favor form the community. Pray... PRAY for me I don't want to do this job it's Fing annoying... I know it so well, that it takes me about 3 HR to do the R&R lol.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Zazzn;1305302 said:
LoL everything is bolted up, didn't start it, don't think anyone really likes a 4" barely muffled 4" 2jz at 4:00 AM ;)

Now, I need a favor form the community. Pray... PRAY for me I don't want to do this job it's Fing annoying... I know it so well, that it takes me about 3 HR to do the R&R lol.
I feel your pain. Ran into a similar situation with a Mk2 clutch that wouldn't disengage. Pulled the tranny off 4 times before I figured out what was causing it - a spring from the disc had snapped, the pieces fell out of the disc and jammed the whole thing together.

By the end of it, I could R&R the tranny on the Mk2 in record time.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Tranny R&R is a piece of cake with a tranny jack ;)

Took longer to get the car jacked up high enough and on the jackstands than it did to pull the tranny, replace clutch, and put the tranny back on...

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
haha I don't even include the 2 upper bolts in the bell housing anymore, because I know i'll be in there replacing the clutch (if the straps explode again) the bell housing if the straps blow up the bell housing, the clutch disc after the fermaic welds to the PP, OR if the fly wheel bolts back out.

As for the ARP bolts. I used the 4AG-GE bolts and they worked and i spun the engine around a few times and nothing is touching so I think they are all good.