Flywheel bolts keep backing off...

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Ok guys I've had it and I'm stumped....

I've had my flywheel bolts back out 5 times now. First time I though I didn't locktite and make them tight enough. No prob second time I use plenty of red locktite, and torque them 35 and 90" as per the 2jz mk4 manual (it's a 2jz-mk3 with 1jz flywheel)

Backs off shortly after... Ok.. time for new bolts maybe the originals are streched.

New bolts same deal wtf.. Tighten again plenty of locktight reef them in there to the point that I'm scared they are stretching.... The just backed off again off again WTF....

Anyone have any suggestions? The only explication I have is that I'm bouncing the rev limit of 7500 with the AEM and making 650 WHP the constant back and forth with the rev limit is backing them out?

Any other suggestions any ideas why this could be happening?

Help I don't like doing a clutch job a week! thanks!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Good morning.
I dunno- Maybe that's the problem, but I've not heard many cases where the FW bolts do that. Is it possible that the threading in the crank is loose? Does anyone know if it'd be possible to have a shop drill some ARP's and safety wire them?

ahmed

Jan 31, 2009
cleveland
impact them bitches. locktite and an impact always works for me. and i have done this at least 20 times usually on dsm's and mustangs without any issue.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
Aren't you missing that spacer with tabs on them so you can bend them to lock the bolts in place or from backing out? I can't remember what its call (bolt locking plate commonly use for Camshaft)..lol.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I just clean the bolts and holes with paint thinner in a spray gun blow it out with compressed air then hit the bolts and holes with loctite primer let it set then 262 loctite torqued to factory spec, never had an issue.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
I take parts cleaner and clean the hole. Take a cue-tip and get all the gunk out. Get the compressed air blow it out to make sure. Put the Arp Flywheel bolts on, and use * red * locktite.

The Red locktite is said to make it near impossible to get those off, but a impact does the trick every time.

:hs:

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Indeed. If red strength loctite doesnt hold them, nothing will. Supraguy is probably right; if it has happened THAT much, the problem could be the threads in the crank itself. Its really weird that it keeps happening..whatever you do, its definitely time to use safety wire or whatever the equivalent is for spinning that much.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Just saying it would be an interesting exercise to do them :)

If they can be bought off the shelf even better!

I still stand by my install method I've NEVER had a flywheel come loose ever.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
14nzcr6.jpg

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
IJ.;1292106 said:
Just saying it would be an interesting exercise to do them :)

If they can be bought off the shelf even better!

I still stand by my install method I've NEVER had a flywheel come loose ever.

I would think your best bet is to drill between two points rather than on them, as opposed to a 6 point head which goes through the middle of the flat part. Not sure if this is how its done, but again, easier to accomplish.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
The ARP's I have are flanged so you don't have a lot of room, (At least they're soft enough to drill) while it "could" be done the off the shelf ones would be the better option.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I'm renting a welding machine today to weld something onto the two rounded off ARP's that were put in with blue loctite. I've tried so many ways to get these last two bolts out, and they will not budge.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
thanks or the answers, does that plate really work? I've never seen it? My 1jz never had the PP back off, the 2jz I had was an auto before.... I don't know about the safety wire... I always catch the flywheel as soon as it's loose because I hear it dangling at idle back and forth.

It's really really pissing me off...

so you guys do the 35FT LB then 90"?

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
If you noticed most people are saying "Just ram them in there" . Really intelligent responses.

What fasteners are you using? OEM or ARP? Because ARP bolts have their own torquing sequence different from factory. And the locking plate shown will work with OEM 6 sided bolts, but you could notch it to work with the 12 point ARP's. Tha tshould work.