Flywheel bolts keep backing off...

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
I'd guess there is a more systematic problem if this has been happening frequently.
Got a nasty engine vibration?

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
thanks raven, i'm using OEM...2 sets now... I've been torquing to factory specs then i tried a little more but it felt like the bolts where stretching so I didn't go anymore...

I don't have time to wait for the plate... since when did that plate come on the flywheels? it wasn't on my 1jz?

how does it help hold the bolts in place please explain?

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
Zazzn;1292249 said:
thanks raven, i'm using OEM...2 sets now... I've been torquing to factory specs then i tried a little more but it felt like the bolts where stretching so I didn't go anymore...

I don't have time to wait for the plate... since when did that plate come on the flywheels? it wasn't on my 1jz?

how does it help hold the bolts in place please explain?

The plate is aftermarket, once you torque the bolts, you bend the tabs against the bolt, making it physically impossible to turn. Its a locking plate.

Also, do you run solid motor mounts? Solid trans mount? I agree, something seems fishy for this to happen over and over..

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
I have a flywheel bolt related question which fits in here without a hijack. Just bought replacement bolts for mine ('88 7M auto) to bolt it to the tc. They're all the same size and appear to be the exact same thread pattern, but 1 is sold seperately from the other five and appears to be oxide coated or something, in any case it's black rather than standard zinc or whatever.

Any reason for this, and does that one bolt fit in a particular place on the flywheel? Couldn't find any notes on it in the TSRM, but I might have missed it. Thanks...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Each time those bolts back out i would imagine the flywheel wobbling is just making the matters worse, it is probably opening up the threads in your crank as the bolts are jerked back anf forth in there. I have a crank that had the crank pulley bolt come loose and the pulley bolt when screwed in halfway can be wiggled back and forth a huge amount just because it was wobbled on there so much it ruined the hole/threads. You need to make sure the threads are still tight because if they are not no amount of loctite is going to hold them in.

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Cy i was thinking the same thing, I park the car as soon as I notice it's loose

I'm using stock 87 mounts... Infact on my 1jz on the first set of bolts, i had no problems and they where solid mounts!

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
has to be the threads.

i mean were talking about tightening down a flywheel here. from what i have seen Zazzn has had plenty of fast cars so i would say the problem can't be the way they are being torqued or the amount of locktite being used. this doesn't just happen.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Im not sure how it works with the forged crank, can you re-tap the crank? If you can you can just have the old threads drilled out and go for a slightly bigger hole/threads and use oversize bolts. Of course that required pulling the engine apart. Maybe you can get some inserts such as timeserts and thread them into the current holes with some sort of permanent high bonding substance (dont know if that exists?) and then use a smaller bolt to screw into the insert. Of course this is all just patching the real problem which would require a new crankshaft (assuming it really is the bolt holes that are messed up).

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
The only thing that really has me worried is the last set of bolts that titian sent where not what I got when I had the 1jz they where the Auto flexplate style bolts but I figured what the hell they must work..

I'm going to give Arp's a try and I'm going to order the plate form drift motion that was mentioned above. Whatever the hell it is I'm SICK and TIRED of going in there... pulling the engine is not an option this year... I'll drive the car like Fred Flintstone if I have to... I'm tired of working on that bloody car.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
lol......

ARPs 12pt bolts + lock plate + loctite Primer/T62 + 70 ft-lbs Torque.

Make sure to clean the threads with Break cleaner and let the Loctite cured for a few hrs or more. Verify crank shaft (shank) is snug tight to the fly wheel.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Zazzn,

I'm still using stock flywheel bolts, and I have been through several motors, clutches and trannys. I just use Red permatex and torque down to 60 ftlbs and never have a problem. I think that it's the 35 ftlbs and all your HP that is making this happen and the bolts backing out. Just have to think how much more power are making than stock and then compare that with the stock torque rating on things like flywheel bolts and head bolts. I've reused my stock flywheel bolts probably 6 times in the last 2 years and at least 50 drag passes and they have never backed out.

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
forntierguy, agreed, I've reused bolts on my 7m, 1jz with out problems.. Never EVER EVER had this problem before!

I was scared to torque the flywheel bolts that I got form toyota down because they are auto flexplate bolts and not the correct flywheel bolts that came with my 1jz.

I'm tired of going under, so I'm getting some ARP's that plate, and i've been using red permatex stuff as usual... I'm going to give it the 75ft lb like the 7m and ignore the 35ftlb and 90 degree crap the tsrm is saying. If it' backs out again someone come pick up my car and please tow it into the lake.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Zazzn;1294083 said:
forntierguy, agreed, I've reused bolts on my 7m, 1jz with out problems.. Never EVER EVER had this problem before!

I was scared to torque the flywheel bolts that I got form toyota down because they are auto flexplate bolts and not the correct flywheel bolts that came with my 1jz.

I'm tired of going under, so I'm getting some ARP's that plate, and i've been using red permatex stuff as usual... I'm going to give it the 75ft lb like the 7m and ignore the 35ftlb and 90 degree crap the tsrm is saying. If it' backs out again someone come pick up my car and please tow it into the lake.

For what its worth, the torque angle method of tightening bolts generally yields a more precise bolt preload than the use of a torque wrench by itself, it isn't just some BS toyota put in the repair manual for kicks.

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
oh whats up tom, yeah man could use the help!!

adam, i agree with you but it's failed so many times it's pissing me off the 35/90 has caused me to wonder because every time I was doing that on the bolts it felt like I was going to break them right off in the crank.