Flywheel bolts keep backing off...

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
yeah well I'm glad I did.... Honestly there's enough bolts, 2 dowels, 3 17's 2 14's for the starter and the 2 14's at the bottom...

First run of the test drive 2nd gear spin, revlimit..... Snapped the clutch leaf springs.

Only good news is the flywheel looks completely straight while spinning and looking though the access plate it looks perfectly straight I don't see any wobble. COULD be off but i'm sure it's nice.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Well the 2 bolts holding the starter are not supporting the transmission in any way, and the 4 lower bolts dont do a whole lot either considering they are just on a bracket. Theres only 4 bolts going from the transmission to the engine itself, and you've deleted two of them.

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
the upper bolts that aren't in have NOTHING to do with those bolts backing out. think about it, there are 6 other bolts, plus the dowels holding it straight in place. the two bolts at the top are NOT the root cause of his issue. i have NEVER ran those two upper bolts, and have never had a problem with those bolts backing out. heck, i have re-used my flywheel bolts even, and never had a problem. don't bother posting unless you have something useful (IE nothing about the upper bolts) as it is just adding clutter to eric's thread.

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
there isn't an alignment issue...
You guys kill me there are 3 x17 bolts, 2x14 and the starter bolts go though the engine as well. Add to this 2 dowel pins and you have a very solid torsional strength.

regardless no need to defend my self on this..

I know it's not right, we both know, but will it work for the time being? Yes.

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
I'm not saying you are wrong poodles yes the bolts should be there just like the intake manifold stay, and the turbo stay and all the other crap that toyota put in to hold things in place.

It's just at this point while i'm doing some critical testing it's not there because the transmission has been out 6 times now in the last 3 months, due to

4 flywheel jobs, 2 exploding clutch jobs.

The flywheel issue was before i ever left the two top bolts out.

Last edited:

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Ya know, it's pretty easy to get those top bolts off and on, if you use a long extension and a swivel adapter, or socket. They might seem like a pain, but they are TRULY necessary!

Zazzn

Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
I used a 2.5 ft 1/2 extension with a swivel joint to get them on and off when they where there...
Well considering I'll be in there AGAIN to get the broken strapped clutch, i'll put the tops back on.
Really that job sucks with just one person. haha