EMS Stinger 8860/6860 1JZ Base settings and ECU help needed. :(

Hi,
I just got my 6860 today and i have been looking for some base maps to play with. I have one on the ecu right now, but i havent found much online.

http://www.enginemanagement.com.au/maps.php doesn't have anything but the stinger 4428 1jz maps. I know other 1jz guys are running this ecu, so where are the maps?

Current Setup:
Stock Engine with Stock Twins.
3" exhaust with y pipe.
large intercooler
380cc injectors.

I am just trying to get this ecu to work before i rebuild the engine and put on my new GT35R. I dont need it to run perfectly, just turn on.

Last edited:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Im pretty sure you can load a stinger 4 map into an 6860 by changing the extension. The map will just be smaller then the 6860 map. I know it will load becase i've done it but I havnt ran a car on a different map yet.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Viperkiller,

are you seriously asking why?

Here I will TELL you why!

When I pay $500 to get the tune dialed in perfectly, why the f should I post it so you moochers can get it for free? Why don't you open your wallet, lay $500 of your own money, get it tuned, THEN give it away for free?

Doesn't sound like to much though process went into your question when the why is painfully obvious!

How about you:

1. Pay to get it tuned.
2. Pay to take classes to LEARN how to tune.

figgie;1386777 said:
Viperkiller,

are you seriously asking why?

Here I will TELL you why!

When I pay $500 to get the tune dialed in perfectly, why the f should I post it so you moochers can get it for free? Why don't you open your wallet, lay $500 of your own money, get it tuned, THEN give it away for free?

Doesn't sound like to much though process went into your question when the why is painfully obvious!

How about you:

1. Pay to get it tuned.
2. Pay to take classes to LEARN how to tune.

Of course i will post them when i am done. But i am just playing with the stock system. I am definitely not going to pay $500 2x. Once i take off my twins and put in the gt35r that is sitting in on my floor, then i will tune it properly. But seriously, having a good base tune for a stock system should definitely be around. Something to go from. Also, i got my unit used from a guy off of here and i really just wanted to make sure it was working properly before i put more money out. Every car is completely different, so no one will be able to use someone else's tune and just go, but it seriously helps, as you must know, to have something to start with.
Last, all i ever hear is people saying that people have maps for our cars all around, but i haven't seen them. That is why i started this, so others could help. I really dont know why you are being so short with me. I am just another supra lover who isn't made of money bags. I am a guy who helps his friends out. I know if i help someone out, then someone else will help me out someday.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
I will tell you why. There is no such thing as a base map. AEM attempted that with zero effectiveness for our car. A stand alone, whether it is a full wire in job or plug and get it tuned, is the same.

The person on the keyboard needs to actually know what is going on, base tune or not. Otherwise, we have what happened with the AEM, happen again. Ie people "expect" that the base tune was even remotely correct when in reality, it is up to the tuner to get that in place regardless of EMS.

mikeymkll7mgte

Supraholic
Oct 11, 2007
Spokane
Im helping Josh get this thing going. I have wired up and tuned 3 MS2 units, 2 on 7m's, and one on a mazda F2T motor. I will soon have another on a 5m and one on a twin turbo big block. I have spent alot of time on the dyno tuning, so i think i have a good idea what to do, or so i thought when it came to this thing. :)

I tried a bunch of different settings on his ecu last night and all i could get it to do was barely idle and sound like it was running on 3 cylinders. If someone could give me an idea as to where to start with some of the settings on the ecu, that would be great.

If it helps, we can get a good rpm signal, and I dont think its flooding, as we can plug the stock ecu back in and it fires right up with no hesitation. We had the coils overheat on us twice, and i know thats a bad setting somewhere. I really need to try and dig into it deeper and check for spark on every coil and make sure all the injectors are firing, but i was going to try this first until i have more time to play with it. Any help would be much appreciated.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
if it sound like it is running on 3 cylinders....

which cylinders are not firing? Stock Coils or sequential coils on a 1 coil/cycle? Are they wet with gasoline or not? might point to an injector problem instead of ignition.

The injectors. Is the stinger configured for high imp?

mikeymkll7mgte

Supraholic
Oct 11, 2007
Spokane
I will find out as soon as i can get to the car and play with it more. Its a 1jz so it has sequential spark with one igniter that is a 6 channel. They only way it would even try to run was on the settings-- 6 cylinders, 1 igniter. i tried 6 igniters, but it would not do anything. It is configured for high imp injectors. Hopefully ill have a better idea in the next couple days.

figgie;1392356 said:
mikey

able to do any oscope reading to see if the signals are being sent on all 6 ignition outputs?
No, we do not have an oscilloscope. We are going to try to wire something up to see which are firing.

Also, all of the base maps had the 2j and 1j set to 48 teeth and 4 static teeth. This wouldn't work at all for obvious reasons and i am really confused why it would be set that way. The only correct setting was 24 teeth and 2 static teeth. This gave a proper tach reading.

mikeymkll7mgte

Supraholic
Oct 11, 2007
Spokane
figgie-

Im going to pull the coil packs out, reground them, put the plugs in them, and watch them to make sure they are all firing first. If something looks off, i will be finding a o scope to check it out. Some of the settings just dont make sense to me though that were in the files that he downloaded.

The coil on plug setup on my 7m was pretty easy to setup. Just had to figure out where the cam tooth was in relation to the crank missing tooth and it was done.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Viperkiller

unfortunatly I have zero knowledge of the stock jz ignition system :(

if only 3 cylinders are firing. Could be that the configuration is set for waste fire application?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
viperkillertt;1373608 said:
Hi,
I just got my 6860 today and i have been looking for some base maps to play with. I have one on the ecu right now, but i havent found much online.

http://www.enginemanagement.com.au/maps.php doesn't have anything but the stinger 4428 1jz maps. I know other 1jz guys are running this ecu, so where are the maps?

Also, is it just me, or did they put the wrong connector on these ecus? On mine it has a male plug instead of a female. Well, all Serial cables i own are male ended, which obviously wont work with this ecu. what is up with that?

The serial cable is not a standard serial cable, if you used one you had at home it would not work.

If you bought the unit from me I can send you a basemap, but as mentioned earlier in this thread, a base map is only to get the engine to start, not drive. Every engine is different, and every standalone needs to be adjusted for idle and all across the rpm and load range for a proper tune. I don't want to post all my base maps, so people can buy somewhere else and then use my maps.
Same goes for detailed wiring diagrams. I will say that the basemaps included with the 6860 and Stinger software are WAY off... not even in the ballpark. You would be better off starting from scratch, that's what I did. I had to make the whole timing and fuel map from square one (literally), and that was done with many many hours of dyno and street tuning. Also, don't expect that you'll pay your $500 and they'll put it on the dyno and it will come off and be a perfect streetable tune. Anyone that doesn't offer to to at least a basic street test and tune after the dyno probably doesn't deserve the $500.

mikeymkll7mgte

Supraholic
Oct 11, 2007
Spokane
We dont know if its running on 3 cylinders or not, it just kinda sounds like it. Im not sure if it runs sequential fuel or not now that you mention it. Though... It only has 3 injector outputs on the harness, and its a pe-built harness. I didnt look too closely at the harness to really find out. When i have the time, i will look closer at it and see if i can tell how its wired. It was already on a 1j that was "supposedly" running. I dont see how as the settings that were in it would not even let it pickup any rpm signal.

On a side note... I LOVE my MS2! :icon_razz Played around with the COP's and injectors last night double checking them using the output test mode. Its amazing the difference between a 2ms dwell time and a 4ms dwell time!! And those coils pack a punch!!! :icon_bigg

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
The 1jz has batch fired injectors stock. If you want to run full sequential you would need to rewire three of the injectors back to the ecu (not worth your time, imho). The ignition is sequential stock on a 1jz, so if he has a 6860 then you don't run it batch fired for ignition, it's one output per coil. He probably doesn't have the settings right in the software, especially if he's using the basemap that is included in the software. If it was a Stinger you would need to parallel the ignitor inputs into three pairs. 1-6, 2-5, and 3-4.
I have the 6860 on my own 1jz Supra, so I have had plenty of time to mess around with all aspects of the 6860.

mikeymkll7mgte

Supraholic
Oct 11, 2007
Spokane
aaron- I dont have a problem building base maps and all that. I have access to a steady state dyno pretty much any time i need it. Its just we cannot get it to start right or run right. I know its a setting somewhere, as the coils got a little hot the other night just trying to start it. Like hot enough i could smell them. At that point i gave up till i had alot more time to work with it. I was sure i had the settings right, but i must have been way off. And it not like ms2 where i can set all the coil settings. :nono:

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
If the coils are getting hot you most likely have the incorrect dwell settings applied.

I have also noticed from time on the dyno and street that the jz coils are pretty prone to cracking, causing spark blowout issues.

If I had a base map relative to your situation I would gladly post it up. Unfortunately all the maps I have are for the AEM. But I have several for for the 2jzgte and 7mgte in various hardware configurations.

Before you go further check for spark the old fashioned way. And use a screwdriver and your ear to listen for the injectors to be opening. They are solenoids its not difficult to figure out if they are firing or not.

Also post up the map you are working on along with a link for the software and I will take a look at it and see if I can be any help.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
The $200-500 or so for the tune is the best money you can really spend for your car if you'd rather have someone else tune it.

Taking your car to the dyno and getting it tuned is like giving somebody money for awesome. You'll know what it's like to be Chuck Norris.