Eagle Rods + Stock Pistons?

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
:dunno:

But i have a very good feeling they're viton as i've have a stone and toyota valve seal side by side and i know for a fact stone seals are viton and identical.

And I faintly remember a minty rice smell on both. ;)

Back to rennat.

any progress?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i have to drive at least 30mins either east or west... i have two people with a leak down tester, and im not sure which way i would rather go.

4u2quik - how bout i flip ya $20 for gas? lol... just drive the miata and thats like a full tank.

i've been driving the car, my thermostat got stuck going over this 'hill'..... so i pulled off, let it cool for 10mins and the car was fine. car drives okay on the highway, has plenty of pickup. i beat my friend with a supercharged civic in 5th gear! lol....

but as far as testing anything... no progress. been helping my buddy with and rsx get his turbo kit in, and my buddy with this supercharged civic get that thing fixed... 4days of 8am to 12pm working on cars... :3d_frown:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I had one (actually several) stick shut at random on 1st start in the morning. I'd get 3-4 miles down the road and the temp gauge would shoot up. Whacked the stat housing with a plastic hammer and it unstuck.

I suspect my issue was removal of the stock turbo coolant lines...the natural bypass in the system no longer relieved pressure build-up behind the stat. Cut the jiggle valve off the sticking stat and it never happened again.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
3/4 on the temp gauge doesnt cool down in 10minutes... haha
the front rad. hose was hot, but the back of the thermostat housing was BLAZING... so i used my skills of deduction and decided it was a stuck thermostat... it never did it again, and its an autozone thermostat.... so i'll be buying an OEM one in the next week or two... and if i pull the head off then its defintaly getting changed.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
Rennat;1129533 said:
i have to drive at least 30mins either east or west... i have two people with a leak down tester, and im not sure which way i would rather go.

4u2quik - how bout i flip ya $20 for gas? lol... just drive the miata and thats like a full tank.
lol, i just asked my old man if i could take the miata and he gave me a bunch of shit because i left tyson (the pitbull) hair in his car. I managed to get him to let me use it anyway, so later after i get some work done around here I'll give you a call.

Zumtizzle;1129540 said:
^:dunno:

Must be a central california thing. :D

must be, I had a similar situation with my supra about a month ago when we had that week of 100+ weather. It only did that once though...

Rennat;1129632 said:
3/4 on the temp gauge doesnt cool down in 10minutes... haha
the front rad. hose was hot, but the back of the thermostat housing was BLAZING... so i used my skills of deduction and decided it was a stuck thermostat... it never did it again, and its an autozone thermostat.... so i'll be buying an OEM one in the next week or two... and if i pull the head off then its defintaly getting changed.

did you get a duralast thermistat? cause that's the same brand as i got....

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
UPDATE TIME!!!!

So i got the leak down tester thanks to 4U2QUIK!! (keep me updated on those gaskets too btw!)

and i had 8% on Number one the first time i tried to get a good reading. only reason i say that is because on some of the other pistons, i couldnt keep them up due to the pressure, and i was only at 100psi... so i went back and redid number one and it was like that too. so i know its not my rings sealing. soooooo it has to be coming from somewhere else! and the only other place left is the valve stem seals!

sooooo im going to order the tools to do the valve stem seals and order some valve stem seals. so no more pulling the head... and no more new head gasket or pistons... just new valve stem seals and im also going to get new shims for my head since the machine shop i used couldnt shim a supra head to save their lives.

Thanks everybody! looks like i'll be keeping my car and throwin on some new parts...

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
good to hear!
but,
you should have been able to determine if it was the valve seals. Just like mine... Except I'm thinking it's the guides themselves are to blame in my engine. and BTW I'll need that seal tool also because I finally got a head to start working on.

I'll give you some pointers next time we talk.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
No on pliers to get them out. (maybe without the valve in place.)
Yes you can use a socket to get them in there. and i think it's 11MM.

You won't have any issues since the seals are new and soft.

Read the damn write up i sent you. and be eazy when banging the valve keeper out. you can scratch up a bore.

hmm looks like that tool is worth buying but i saved 10 bux and ground it down. ;)

it still looks like my tool though http://toyotool.com/valve%20seal pliers buy.htm

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
My valve stem seals came with short pieces of what looked like soda straws that you put over a valve so the tip of the valve wouldn't cut the seal.

Don't forget to use em...

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
jdub;1129588 said:
I had one (actually several) stick shut at random on 1st start in the morning. I'd get 3-4 miles down the road and the temp gauge would shoot up. Whacked the stat housing with a plastic hammer and it unstuck.

Ditto.

Never thought of the coolant bypass though, just figured it was an old therm.