DIY: Tail Lamp Failure Sensor Bypass GET YOUR TAIL AND/OR BRAKE LIGHTS BACK!

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Hmmm...I guess the first thing I will do is just clean the contacts real good. Some looked pretty nasty and the screws were a little loose. If that doesn't do it, I'll bypass the sensor.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
FYI...I decided to clean the contacts for the tail lights last night and when I got to the last bulb I noticed it was mounted backwards. So I flipped it around like the rest and now my tailights are working properly!

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
what an absolute life saver i just did this mod and got my brake lights back
i actually fried the board itself when i removed my third brake light (wingless)
+1 for a good fix

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
So will this work in getting rid of the dash light when swapping the tail lights from 68-88 to 89+?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
if your dash light comes on after swapping to 89+ taillights, then you have something else wrong...

89+ tails are plug and play with no electrical mods necessary..

however, swapping to an 89+ spoiler will cause a dash light to come on if you're NA or pre 89 turbo...

MaximA32

Oct 21, 2009
Corona, CA
I was going nuts trying to figure out wtf was going on with my brake lights. I bought my mkIII a few days ago and couldn't drive it because the brake lights didn't work. I joined, searched and hot damn if this thread didn't pop up. Thanks for the help!

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
Ok so here's my deal, it all works fine and all my lights work, but it's only temporary cus no matter how many boxes I put in I keep frying the same circuit, and I mean burning a hole through the board every time, I'm worried that it's an issue somewhere else but I'm unsure where to look and am afraid if I do this mod that itl fry a wire somewhere that I can't find it, OP would you suggest this and if I may suggest an improvement I think I'm guna put some fuses in place in the mod as well, advice please ppl

Last edited:

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
No, do not do this mod, not yet anyways. Your frying the box because you have a short somewhere. The box is acting as a fuse in this scenario. Check your fuses to make sure you have the right amp fuse in place because it should blow the fuse before the box gets fried. The short is going to be after the box, otherwise you wouldnt fry it. Take apart the box and follow the line you are frying. The wire that connects to that line is the one that has the short. Find the short then fix it. after you are sure you found the short you can do the mod instead of buying another box. Putting fuses there would probably be a good idea to be safe. If you fix the short it shouldnt be a problem, but for some reason, your not blowing the fuse in the fusebox when it shorts, so the box is saving your ass, otherwise it could start a fire. After you remove the box you could try intentionally shorting the wire that was causing the problem, and make sure it blows the fuse in the box, there is no reason why it shouldnt have blown before, other than it was the wrong amperage and fried the box first, or the fuse was bypassed completely.
Let me know what you find. You can PM me instead, as I dont normally check this thread, just happened to see it.

batttz

English Lurker
Aug 28, 2007
Hampshire
Instead of cutting wires and connecting them I unplugged the lamp failure and used some jumpers I made with some insulated cable, just connect the wires via the plug, works fine while you sort out the module with no damage to your wiring

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
Found out reason that dash light is always on and having problems with back lights. Check to make sure you have the right wattage of bulbs in there. Fixed all my problems getting bulbs from toyota they are lower wattage then aftermarket from parts store. Long story short check what bulb wattage you got in there it says on the back of the light holder the max wattage to use. Easy fix but very annoying issue.

SlickA70

^^ Is the shit ;p
Nov 11, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
RazoE;1404547 said:
if your dash light comes on after swapping to 89+ taillights, then you have something else wrong...

89+ tails are plug and play with no electrical mods necessary..

however, swapping to an 89+ spoiler will cause a dash light to come on if you're NA or pre 89 turbo...

I did a swap to 89 tails on my 88 turbo and when I installed the new 89 lenses the trays didn't work so I cut the black cable on the one side of either tray and splced it to the new trays. My dash light came on but my tails worked, couple hours later the light went off and also did my tails. If I turn all my lights on every single light inside and out works except my taillights, breaking, signaling and reversing all make it light up, but they do not run like they should during night time. I checked em and say that I put a bulb with a single filament in a socket with double filaments? Could that have shorted it?

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
check to make sure you have right wattage bulb had same issues was just to high of a bulb. Swap it out should fix the dash light issues

biggbaddjosh

May 19, 2011
ok so heres my problem.....

1st question:
i have a mk4 93 supra and the tail lamps work but sometimes they dont come on and i have to hit the "lamp failure box" and then they turn on.... whats the deal with that???

2nd question:
when i press on my brake pedal my center light works but not my main tail lights
help me please asap thanks?????