Disappointing test drive

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Rennat;998121 said:
you obvisouly have a poor reading level... i said ALMS C5R. Do you know wtf a C5R is? Or go look up the C6R instead since thats what they use now...

Evo's arent the "cure all" for everything... they have some HUGE weaknesses.

Evo. STi. SRT-4. Every owner i've met who currently drives one, its an asshole or just too ignortant to understand what they really have done to there cars...

but then again im sticking with a supra. who cars about anything else! hahahhaa

I cant take you serious if you are going to equivlate a car thats not even a production car anymore to a car that is not even in the same race class as the c5r is in. I mean I could be wrong but evos and sti's arent even in the race lol. Thats like me comparing nascar to a production mustang.

You obviously havent met many evo or sti owners or your area is just full of ignorant asses? However, the vet community is actually worse in that regard. But yes you and I both have supras and supras>evos and sti's. :biglaugh:

BlackSS

Nov 19, 2007
FL
turbojuiced;998097 said:
On a side note the evo destroyed a lambo murcielago on top gear haha and that lambo is awd too lol.

Wow, I knew that evo would be brought up, it's every fanboi's favorite episode. One problem....it's not a US spec MR. It's the FQ 400 with 400 hp and better suspension and IS NOT available in the US. You wanna compare that evo to something....then compare it to the C5R.

BlackSS

Nov 19, 2007
FL
turbojuiced;998043 said:
Will it hydroplain at the same rate as a fwd or rwd? Definitely not. Is it unsafe to drive 100mph in the rain? IMHO if you have full control of the car and little to no traffic then yes. Accidents can happen at any speed.

You STILL aren't understanding what hydro plaining is. Please go read up on it....it DOESN'T matter what wheels spin, EVERY car is susceptible to it. The only thing that would help prevent hydro plaining is down force, therefore keeping the car "heavy" at high speeds as not to sit on top of the water. AWD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!!!!

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
turbojuiced;998089 said:
You cant equivlate nurburgring to alot of other tracks. Nurburgring isnt even in the same class of tracks as willowsprings, buttonwillow, laguna seca, and infineon. Nurburgring has wider turns and has alot of long straight aways which of course the more powerful cars will dominate.

I got up to here before I started shouting at my computer screen.

Have you got any experience of the Nurburgring other than playing Forza/GT4/Some other video game with an inaccurate version of the Ring?

Don't bother answer because we both know the answer.

If you did have proper experience you'd know that the Ring is one of the few tracks out there were Horsepower means jack Shit.

A good suspension setup and (more importantly) driver skill will > ***Horsepower every damn time. That's probably why my buddy's near stock MK1 Miata constantly shows M3s, 911s and most other high performance cars to the commander every damn time he gets on the track.

Please stop swinging off Evo lugnuts. It's not helping your cause at all.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
DonS1mpson;998238 said:

ROFL! Great quote :D

Never owned any AWD cars? You have no idea how many cars I've owned, what kind of cars, and you make a blanket statement concerning my ownership. :rofl:

That you ran faster in an AWD car vs a RWD car around Willow just tells me you need more driver mod. Sorry.

91GTE

Supra Owner
Mar 31, 2006
Massachusetts
I don't see any z06 in my price range at all,

I did find some other cars with ls1 motors with t56 6spd, like the trans am ws6, and camaro.

BlackSS

Nov 19, 2007
FL
91GTE;998331 said:
I don't see any z06 in my price range at all,

I did find some other cars with ls1 motors with t56 6spd, like the trans am ws6, and camaro.

What's your price range? if you can't see a 2001-2002 Z06 in your price range....than an Evo ain't gonna be in there either. Base model vettes are nice too. They can be had for about 17,000 give or take a few thousand in the 98-00 years.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
BlackSS;998210 said:
Wow, I knew that evo would be brought up, it's every fanboi's favorite episode. One problem....it's not a US spec MR. It's the FQ 400 with 400 hp and better suspension and IS NOT available in the US. You wanna compare that evo to something....then compare it to the C5R.

Sure its an fq400 of course they did a few upgrades such as a turbo, better rods and pistons, motec 800 oem ecu, and a alcon hd clutch. However, you dont have to upgrade the internals or ecu to get 400hp out of an evo. Many evos are pumping out over 500awhp with no internal work done other than cams. The ecu can remain stock with just a dynotune. Thats how I was able to attain my numbers. My ecu was oem with a dyno tune. And 400hp can be attained with a oem 20g and I have seen some with the 18g so they didnt really have to upgrade to a bigger garrett. What I am saying is those upgrades can be attained in the aftermarket world and they really arent needed in the first place to get an evo to 400hp. Now supporting bolt-ons of course and possibly the 20g. The best way to achieve 400hp is 20g, mbc, 02housing, tbe, walbro, test pipe, fmic piping, cams, and dyno tune. That will actually net around 400awhp. So minus the cams you will see around 400crank which is what the fq is running. And that will all cost you possibly 3grand maybe a little more depending where you get the parts from.

Suspension really dont need to change.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
BlackSS;998214 said:
You STILL aren't understanding what hydro plaining is. Please go read up on it....it DOESN'T matter what wheels spin, EVERY car is susceptible to it. The only thing that would help prevent hydro plaining is down force, therefore keeping the car "heavy" at high speeds as not to sit on top of the water. AWD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!!!!

Dude, I know what hydroplaining is. And no downforce or (keeping a vehicle heavy) has nothing to do with it. Big rigs can hydroplain too. Maybe you ought to read up on it yourself.

Again I will reiterate for you. AWD will not make you totally suceptable to hydroplaining however, you will not hydroplain as easy as a rwd or fwd vehicle. This is common knowledge throughout the evo and sti community.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
DonS1mpson;998238 said:
I got up to here before I started shouting at my computer screen.

Have you got any experience of the Nurburgring other than playing Forza/GT4/Some other video game with an inaccurate version of the Ring?

Don't bother answer because we both know the answer.

If you did have proper experience you'd know that the Ring is one of the few tracks out there were Horsepower means jack Shit.

A good suspension setup and (more importantly) driver skill will > ***Horsepower every damn time. That's probably why my buddy's near stock MK1 Miata constantly shows M3s, 911s and most other high performance cars to the commander every damn time he gets on the track.

Wow you obviously have no idea what your talking about. First off I have been to germany and I have driven on the autobahn and at nurburgring. When you are stationed for 3yrs at Ramstien you tend to have a little fun on your off days. :biglaugh:

Yes I will agree with you that suspension does mean a great deal and so does driver skill but as far as to say a miata beat a 911 or m3? C'mon dude dont lie to yourself that much. I guess you could say such things if the drivers of the porsche and m3 were 2yr olds :naughty: . But a miata as nimble as the car is it wont be any competition to those cars on the ring.

Now at SOW where the track is smaller and has tighter turns maybe but certainly not at the ring.

You really need to do your research before spouting off such rediculous info like that. Because especially people who have been to these places will call you on it. My friend is also reading your post he is a loadmaster for the c-17 and he just returned from germany and he is even laughing. :biglaugh:

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Doward;998251 said:
ROFL! Great quote :D

Never owned any AWD cars? You have no idea how many cars I've owned, what kind of cars, and you make a blanket statement concerning my ownership. :rofl:

That you ran faster in an AWD car vs a RWD car around Willow just tells me you need more driver mod. Sorry.

Well if you did own one of these cars you wouldnt be so ignorant about them is all I am saying. I would really be suprised if I had proof that you owned one. However, I am a fair guy and I will give you a chance. :icon_bigg

Hmm I need more driver mod? Wow ok considering all c5z run around the same times at SOW CCW doesnt tell you anything?

For some reason I feel I am prolly going to get banned from this forum by you :biglaugh:

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
BlackSS;998485 said:
What's your price range? if you can't see a 2001-2002 Z06 in your price range....than an Evo ain't gonna be in there either. Base model vettes are nice too. They can be had for about 17,000 give or take a few thousand in the 98-00 years.

Well I just looked up prices for the 02 zo6 and with 50,000 miles the value is around 27grand for private party value. And a evo 9 in the same condition with 30000miles cause it newer is around 26grand.

However, the thing you need to realize is there are evos back in 03 and different trims like the rs which is like 3grand cheaper than the gsr.

All these were checked via kbb.com and these were private party values and all excellent condition prices.

Lastly the 03 evo prices at 20g's with 50,000 miles.

So an evo can be in his price range especially if you look around on evo forums and things like that.

Lastly, its up to him because he is the one driving the car.

BlackSS

Nov 19, 2007
FL
turbojuiced;998597 said:
Well I just looked up prices for the 02 zo6 and with 50,000 miles the value is around 27grand for private party value. And a evo 9 in the same condition with 30000miles cause it newer is around 26grand.

However, the thing you need to realize is there are evos back in 03 and different trims like the rs which is like 3grand cheaper than the gsr.

All these were checked via kbb.com and these were private party values and all excellent condition prices.

Lastly the 03 evo prices at 20g's with 50,000 miles.

So an evo can be in his price range especially if you look around on evo forums and things like that.

Lastly, its up to him because he is the one driving the car.

KBB and real world are two different things. F-bodies and C5 vettes are dropping in prices like crazy due to the f-body getting old and the C6 becoming more affordable as a used car. I was in the market not too long ago for a vette and saw many Z06's with under 100,000 miles going for 22,000 and sometimes less. One was going for 17,500 but had a salvaged title. I was in the market for a new car a year and a half ago. Evo's and Sti's were part of the bunch I was looking at. Couldn't nab a decent one for under 30K around my area then. I randomly look now and then and see them for 25k and up now.

I never said downforce will prevent hydro plaining....only help it. I live in florida, have a rwd car, have over 400hp to the wheels, and DD on nitto DR's.....I have never hydroplained. Should I just go around saying that because I'm rwd, it's harder for me to hydroplain cause I haven't experienced it yet? The trouble in hydro plaining comes from someone trying to hit the brakes....not so much accelerating. AWD won't help.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
BlackSS;998609 said:
KBB and real world are two different things. F-bodies and C5 vettes are dropping in prices like crazy due to the f-body getting old and the C6 becoming more affordable as a used car. I was in the market not too long ago for a vette and saw many Z06's with under 100,000 miles going for 22,000 and sometimes less. One was going for 17,500 but had a salvaged title. I was in the market for a new car a year and a half ago. Evo's and Sti's were part of the bunch I was looking at. Couldn't nab a decent one for under 30K around my area then. I randomly look now and then and see them for 25k and up now.

I never said downforce will prevent hydro plaining....only help it. I live in florida, have a rwd car, have over 400hp to the wheels, and DD on nitto DR's.....I have never hydroplained. Should I just go around saying that because I'm rwd, it's harder for me to hydroplain cause I haven't experienced it yet? The trouble in hydro plaining comes from someone trying to hit the brakes....not so much accelerating. AWD won't help.

I will give you that however, the prices do match up for what they are going for on the market as of right now. Of course there will be exceptions to the rule but thats the norm is what I ma saying. Your area must suck cause where I am at if you go to south coast mitsu they were selling brand new evo 9 gsr for 31grand with ttl included. I got mine with gap for just over 32. Mine was never td either. You can certainly find them for great prices now. In the socal area the norm is mid 20's for the 9.

Im very suprised you havent experienced hydroplaining yet especially in florida cause, I have, and I am in socal and it barely rains here we are lucky if it rains 5in a year here. And in florida it can rain 1in in a matter of an hour. I know cause I use to live in florida and I visit very often cause I still have family in Orlando, Clearwater, Miami, and Palm Bay/Melbourne. However, I do notice the roads there are built at a slight curve so that the water flows off the highway quickly so I am sure that helps.

I was running the AO32's and still had no issues even on the stockers which were AO46. Ive experienced it in both fwd and rwd cars but never in a awd. Does it ever happen? Im sure it does but it surely doesnt as frequently as a rwd and a fwd car does. Thats simple knowledge.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
To the original poster: '04 Neon SRT-4's had an open diff and ran less boost stock than '05 and up SRT-4's. '05 and up also have a limited slip ;). Really the difference between an '04 SRT-4 and an '05 SRT-4 is night and day. How do I know this? My 7MGTE Supra running 11.5 PSI whooped a stock '04 but got walked away from by a stock '05.

I wonder what year the one you test drove was?