Disappointing test drive

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
"I wasn't impressed with the RX-8, Evo vs STI, debatable topic. My friend has built up Evo and it's always broken for some odd reason. I do love me a 350z though, only reason I settled with a Mustang is because I found it full loaded, low milage for $12K."

Frank Rizzo;995483 said:
Sounds like your friend has NFI what he is doing.

Evo VIII's look the best, everything after that looks like crap.

Well thats right if you dont know wth your doing then the evo is not a car for you let alone the sti. I will tell you and ill z that I have pretty much fully built my evo and its running 575awhp on c16 @ 33psi. And on 91oct pump on 23psi I got 440awhp. And this was on a 2.3L stroker engine so not too sure what your friend was doing but definitely needs to do some learning.

Do you know what he was doing?

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Doward;995730 said:

the c5z is ok but definitely not worth it to me. Now the c6z is nto a bad idea but is pretty expensive but not compared to what you are getting.

The evo or sti can crush and c5z on a technical track they can be used for more practical uses like snow and dirt. It also is awesome to be able to cruise at 100mph in the rain and not have to worry about hydroplaning :naughty:

Not to mention gas prices these days suck. 2.0 or a 2.5 is much better on my wallet and i get so much more out of it. Just my opinion anyways

BlackSS

Nov 19, 2007
FL
turbojuiced;995899 said:
the c5z is ok but definitely not worth it to me. Now the c6z is nto a bad idea but is pretty expensive but not compared to what you are getting.

The evo or sti can crush and c5z on a technical track they can be used for more practical uses like snow and dirt. It also is awesome to be able to cruise at 100mph in the rain and not have to worry about hydroplaning :naughty:

Not to mention gas prices these days suck. 2.0 or a 2.5 is much better on my wallet and i get so much more out of it. Just my opinion anyways

C5Z gets the same, if not better, gas mileage than evo's and sti's (specially the new sti). Both use premium. You're pretty much maxed at 450hp with pump gas on the smaller 4 cyl. 450hp is a walk in the park with a cam and proper bolt ons in C5Z (already has the better flowing ls6 heads). If you want a little more HP, take the heads off and get them reworked. The only "technical" track those cars will "destroy" a C5Z is maybe a go cart track. Seriously, just because a car is AWD DOES NOT mean it is infinitely better in handling than any rwd car. F/I on a C5Z will be absolutely insane. Example: was at the track last month and drove along side a base C5 vette most of the way there. He didn't want to run on the street and we talked and found out we were both going to the track so he followed me. Turns out he has a small vortech s/c on it and a cam and bolt ons. He was running mid 10's at about 135mph....still gets mid 20's mpg on the highway. Traction in bad weather is a moot point. Don't be a dumb ass and you won't have problems in the rain. As far as dirt/snow....1. who the hell drives in dirt unless you're doing it on purpose? If you have to drive in dirt to get home....you have bigger problems to worry about than "which high performance car should I buy?" and 2. even if I had a really nice evo/sti I still wouldn't drive in the snow to keep them nice. I'd still go out and get a cheap ass beater for that. I don't want to start an argument about 4cly v. 8 cyl. or domestic v. import. It just seems you were throwing out some mis information and not giving the C5Z the credit it deserves.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
turbojuiced;995899 said:
It also is awesome to be able to cruise at 100mph in the rain and not have to worry about hydroplaning :naughty:

Do you even know what hydroplaning is?

You can hydroplane a unicycle, or a tank. AWD will not save you. THIS is why there are so many wrecked STI/EVOs.

Physics > you.

While we are at it:

2006 Evo 6 speed. 16 mpg in city, 22 on highway.

2002 Chevy Corvette 6 speed. 17mpg in city. 26 in highway.

MPG > you.

Cue 'Epic Fail' quotation.

I see where you said you are interested in the RSX-S. I have alot of good experiences with RSX-S. You buddy has a pretty quick 13 second NA RSX and the other has a 390hp built 2.2L turbo RSX that was fast as crap. They are extremely nice to have as just a daily driver with a few bolt ons.
There is tons of aftermarket support for them and they have alot of potential but like everyone else on here is gonna say... Its still FWD.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
BlackSS;997016 said:
C5Z gets the same, if not better, gas mileage than evo's and sti's (specially the new sti). Both use premium. You're pretty much maxed at 450hp with pump gas on the smaller 4 cyl. 450hp is a walk in the park with a cam and proper bolt ons in C5Z (already has the better flowing ls6 heads). If you want a little more HP, take the heads off and get them reworked. The only "technical" track those cars will "destroy" a C5Z is maybe a go cart track. Seriously, just because a car is AWD DOES NOT mean it is infinitely better in handling than any rwd car. F/I on a C5Z will be absolutely insane. Example: was at the track last month and drove along side a base C5 vette most of the way there. He didn't want to run on the street and we talked and found out we were both going to the track so he followed me. Turns out he has a small vortech s/c on it and a cam and bolt ons. He was running mid 10's at about 135mph....still gets mid 20's mpg on the highway. Traction in bad weather is a moot point. Don't be a dumb ass and you won't have problems in the rain. As far as dirt/snow....1. who the hell drives in dirt unless you're doing it on purpose? If you have to drive in dirt to get home....you have bigger problems to worry about than "which high performance car should I buy?" and 2. even if I had a really nice evo/sti I still wouldn't drive in the snow to keep them nice. I'd still go out and get a cheap ass beater for that. I don't want to start an argument about 4cly v. 8 cyl. or domestic v. import. It just seems you were throwing out some mis information and not giving the C5Z the credit it deserves.

Thats exactly what I am saying the evo and sti are better all around vehicles than the c5z because the c5z is mostly just good for straight line speed. And no the evos and sti's arent maxed out at 450 on pump. Do some research. And no the c5z doesnt get better gas mileage. I was getting 300miles per tank even on a stage 2 upgrade package. The c5z is known to get around 17-20 stock I was getting that with my fully built evo of course when I drive it economically but same thign applies to the c5z.

And yes the AWD thing is a major factor. I really think you need to do some research on this. Or better yet here is just one pic of how you dont know what your talking about.
sm_photo_missing.jpg
And you are going to tell me that a viper is sloer than the c5z especially a fully built scca viper? And I dont think that is a go-kart track dude. And as you notice yep thats right the evo is on dirt still passing the viper which has a blown v10 8.0L. And thats not the only pic or vid thats out there. If you look on evom there are countless vids and pics out there of actual bone stock evos passing vipers and c5z on many circuit tracks. I know personally cause I ahve been to many redline track events at willow springs and buttonwillow and leguna seca.

And no this isnt a debate about v8 and 4cyl and import and domestic. Im simply saying the c5z is definitely a inferior car all around except straight line races. The only vet that compares is the c6z which is like 40grand more. So yes the c5z is a nice car to have and is very quick but dont tell me that the c5z can handle as well as the evo or sti on a circuit track. The dirt and snow comment I will give you that but when it comes down to it screw driving a c5z in the snow compared to an evo or sti when I am trying to go snowboarding.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Doward;997025 said:
Do you even know what hydroplaning is?

You can hydroplane a unicycle, or a tank. AWD will not save you. THIS is why there are so many wrecked STI/EVOs.

Physics > you.

While we are at it:

2006 Evo 6 speed. 16 mpg in city, 22 on highway.

2002 Chevy Corvette 6 speed. 17mpg in city. 26 in highway.

MPG > you.

Cue 'Epic Fail' quotation.

Uhh... yeah dude but you wont at 100mph unless its like raining really bad but what the hell do I knwo about really bad rain I live in cali :biglaugh:. But a c5z will hydroplain even at 60mph.

Since I am not a physics major I will agree with that :biglaugh:

And I am glad you can read the stickers on the cars but that isnt entirely accurate. My evo bone stock was getting 340miles per tank and its a 14gal tank so thats a little better than 22mpg. And stock c5z do not get that kind of mileage unless you are granny driving :biglaugh: My ex has a c5z and shes apart of the vet club in san diego and I mostly heard everyone getting around the 15-18mpg area on stock or close to stock c5z.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
MaJiKaL TaNk;997155 said:
I see where you said you are interested in the RSX-S. I have alot of good experiences with RSX-S. You buddy has a pretty quick 13 second NA RSX and the other has a 390hp built 2.2L turbo RSX that was fast as crap. They are extremely nice to have as just a daily driver with a few bolt ons.
There is tons of aftermarket support for them and they have alot of potential but like everyone else on here is gonna say... Its still FWD.

Well screw them cause a rsx like that will prolly smoke half the peoples rwd cars. When a fwd car is built correctly it can haul balls! Granted it definitely has a disadvantage to rwd and awd cars but not all rwd and awd cars will have that kind of hp and once you get rolling the race is over. Now of course when a similar built rwd car comes to compete then you will not do as well obviously but there is nothing wrong with that cause there will always be someone who you are slower than. Just my opinion

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
89jdm7m;995690 said:
sti FTW, not the new hatches tho :-/

on a side note, the evo's are of much cheaper quality

New WRX isn't that bad. 240whp 290wtq with just a tune on my friends 08. Feels decently quick, although I didnt beat the piss out of it.

Not bad for stock boost, stock airbox, stock exhaust and all cats.

BlackSS

Nov 19, 2007
FL
turbojuiced;997627 said:
Thats exactly what I am saying the evo and sti are better all around vehicles than the c5z because the c5z is mostly just good for straight line speed. And no the evos and sti's arent maxed out at 450 on pump. Do some research. And no the c5z doesnt get better gas mileage. I was getting 300miles per tank even on a stage 2 upgrade package. The c5z is known to get around 17-20 stock I was getting that with my fully built evo of course when I drive it economically but same thign applies to the c5z.

And yes the AWD thing is a major factor. I really think you need to do some research on this. Or better yet here is just one pic of how you dont know what your talking about.
sm_photo_missing.jpg
And you are going to tell me that a viper is sloer than the c5z especially a fully built scca viper? And I dont think that is a go-kart track dude. And as you notice yep thats right the evo is on dirt still passing the viper which has a blown v10 8.0L. And thats not the only pic or vid thats out there. If you look on evom there are countless vids and pics out there of actual bone stock evos passing vipers and c5z on many circuit tracks. I know personally cause I ahve been to many redline track events at willow springs and buttonwillow and leguna seca.

And no this isnt a debate about v8 and 4cyl and import and domestic. Im simply saying the c5z is definitely a inferior car all around except straight line races. The only vet that compares is the c6z which is like 40grand more. So yes the c5z is a nice car to have and is very quick but dont tell me that the c5z can handle as well as the evo or sti on a circuit track. The dirt and snow comment I will give you that but when it comes down to it screw driving a c5z in the snow compared to an evo or sti when I am trying to go snowboarding.

Yes, I am telling you a C5Z is a better handling car out of the box compared to a Evo III or IX. Just looked up fastest lap times for the nurburgring.....C5Z 7:56, Evo IX 8:11. Modified is a moot point. Both cars are extremely well platforms to start from, and who ever throws the best combination of parts, most money, and the best understanding of suspension geometry will come out on top. Stock for stock a C5Z is a better handler than an Evo III or IX. The only time it isn't is when a newb is behind the wheel.....when that's the case the AWD becomes the guardian angel and will help a novice get out of tight spots.

About power, I was just stating 450whp. I know maybe 500, or just over 500whp is usually what people see on pump gas. There are always flukes, I think I've seen some shop claiming 700hp or something on pump gas, but the bs flag has been raised on that by even evo owners. But hey, there's a gas station here locally where I can get 110 octane from the pump just like 87, 89, 93.....so can I call that pump gas? lol. Anyways 500whp is very attainable n/a on a C5Z and you are no where near the power limit when you throw in nitrous or f/i. I've seen around 750hp on stock cubes in a f/i application on pump gas. Stroker kit and f/i can easily see over 800 on pump without meth.

I still can't believe you built a 440hp pump gas evo and not understand what hydroplaning is. You do understand that hydroplaning is when the tires actually begin riding on top of the WATER and not the road. When that happens it doesn't matter if one wheel receives power, or all 4....all they will do is spin and spin. And yet you tell me to do my research....lol.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Doward;997769 said:
turbojuiced, I'm just laughing here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroplaning_(road_vehicle)

Please, before you kill yourself or an innocent bystander. 100mph in the rain is unsafe in ANY road going vehicle.

AWD has zero advantages when it comes to hydroplaning.

And no matter how you cut it - @20k and under, the C5 Z06 is the best deal in sports cars right now ;)

You obviously have never owned an AWD car will just leave it at that. Am I saying it will never hydroplain? No. Will it hydroplain at the same rate as a fwd or rwd? Definitely not. Is it unsafe to drive 100mph in the rain? IMHO if you have full control of the car and little to no traffic then yes. Accidents can happen at any speed.

Maybe its the best deal for you but its definitely not for alot of people. Thats why there are many threads of people trading in their vettes for an evo or sti not the other way around. Granted I have seen a few but its usually for the c6 not the c5.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
If you are driving 100MPH in the rain thinking "my evo cant hydroplain" then you DESERVE to crash.

And i dont know if any of have ever watched alms, but when i went to the events in CA around me, the C5R was KILLING everything on the track, it even kept up with the "prototype" 1 and 2 cars. Vipers, Lambo, porshce, it ate them all.

i personaly would take either the s2k, or the c5. Both have pretty large aftermarkets and im sick of lame ass sti's and evo's. Everybody who owns one thinks there the shit. Along with SRT-4 Drivers... sti's have to get "retuned" after they get only minor bolt ons... wtf is that? talk about money down the drain!

and if you want a new car, why bother with track speed talk in here? honestly... Whats next? lateral g's achieved in each car at the track? If your in need of a daily driver, get a honda. they last.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
BlackSS;997833 said:
Yes, I am telling you a C5Z is a better handling car out of the box compared to a Evo III or IX. Just looked up fastest lap times for the nurburgring.....C5Z 7:56, Evo IX 8:11. Modified is a moot point. Both cars are extremely well platforms to start from, and who ever throws the best combination of parts, most money, and the best understanding of suspension geometry will come out on top. Stock for stock a C5Z is a better handler than an Evo III or IX. The only time it isn't is when a newb is behind the wheel.....when that's the case the AWD becomes the guardian angel and will help a novice get out of tight spots.

About power, I was just stating 450whp. I know maybe 500, or just over 500whp is usually what people see on pump gas. There are always flukes, I think I've seen some shop claiming 700hp or something on pump gas, but the bs flag has been raised on that by even evo owners. But hey, there's a gas station here locally where I can get 110 octane from the pump just like 87, 89, 93.....so can I call that pump gas? lol. Anyways 500whp is very attainable n/a on a C5Z and you are no where near the power limit when you throw in nitrous or f/i. I've seen around 750hp on stock cubes in a f/i application on pump gas. Stroker kit and f/i can easily see over 800 on pump without meth.

I still can't believe you built a 440hp pump gas evo and not understand what hydroplaning is. You do understand that hydroplaning is when the tires actually begin riding on top of the WATER and not the road. When that happens it doesn't matter if one wheel receives power, or all 4....all they will do is spin and spin. And yet you tell me to do my research....lol.

You cant equivlate nurburgring to alot of other tracks. Nurburgring isnt even in the same class of tracks as willowsprings, buttonwillow, laguna seca, and infineon. Nurburgring has wider turns and has alot of long straight aways which of course the more powerful cars will dominate. Tracks like what I just mentioned have tighter turns and pretty much little to no straight aways. Willow springs has 1 straight away which isnt long. You put the same c5z on the track with an evo or sti the c5z cant compete. I raced my evo at SOW counterclock wise and ran a 1:32 lap time. I ran my ex's c5z same track and rotation and ran a 1:41. Both cars were stock at the time. Do some research there are plenty of vids even on you tube and this is real life stuff not from some article.

As far as power is concerned, yes 450-500 is the norm on pump. But there have been builds with more than that. But again there is no replacement for displacement. So in the end the vet will produce more hp. But hp numbers arent everything. But thats not what I am arguing. I am arguing that the evo and sti are better cars all around.

What does hp have to do with hydroplaining other than you get wheel hop and lose traction but in an awd thats not the case. Traction is no problem unless you race from a dig but even then its not that bad cause again its awd. I think you would be amazed if you gave it a chance I had the same lookout you do until I drove my friends an I came to have mad respect for that car. Not to mention how many powerful cars I have beaten.

Here are a few photos of my evo and at willow.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Rennat;998079 said:
If you are driving 100MPH in the rain thinking "my evo cant hydroplain" then you DESERVE to crash.

And i dont know if any of have ever watched alms, but when i went to the events in CA around me, the C5R was KILLING everything on the track, it even kept up with the "prototype" 1 and 2 cars. Vipers, Lambo, porshce, it ate them all.

i personaly would take either the s2k, or the c5. Both have pretty large aftermarkets and im sick of lame ass sti's and evo's. Everybody who owns one thinks there the shit. Along with SRT-4 Drivers... sti's have to get "retuned" after they get only minor bolt ons... wtf is that? talk about money down the drain!

and if you want a new car, why bother with track speed talk in here? honestly... Whats next? lateral g's achieved in each car at the track? If your in need of a daily driver, get a honda. they last.

Well its not going to happen unless the road is flooded. lol But if I was in a c5z it will :biglaugh:.

The c5z did not keep up with the viper and porsche are you retarded unless the c5 was modded and the others were bone stock? On a side note the evo destroyed a lambo murcielago on top gear haha and that lambo is awd too lol.

You obviously have a bias opinion of the car which is not conducive to this discussion. So ok you like the c5z because you have some crazy personal opinion about the car owners which btw the vet owners are no different so end of your argument. Moving on now :nono:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
you obvisouly have a poor reading level... i said ALMS C5R. Do you know wtf a C5R is? Or go look up the C6R instead since thats what they use now...

Evo's arent the "cure all" for everything... they have some HUGE weaknesses.

Evo. STi. SRT-4. Every owner i've met who currently drives one, its an asshole or just too ignortant to understand what they really have done to there cars...

but then again im sticking with a supra. who cars about anything else! hahahhaa