Did you know inlines 6 engines weren't for perfomance?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
ncf013.jpg

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Are you sure that's right, Jeff? A friend of my dad's had a black NA new and it had the spoiler. As do tons of NAs out there. Or is that page just referring to the turbo model?

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
OneJoeZee said:
Are you sure that's right, Jeff? A friend of my dad's had a black NA new and it had the spoiler. As do tons of NAs out there. Or is that page just referring to the turbo model?

It depends on the year, I believe, for what was standard and what was an option. Eventually the wing was standard on both the turbo and NA.

[edit] I believe it became an option for the NAs in 1995, and standard in 1998. [/edit]

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
OneJoeZee said:

It's referring to both, but it's a 1993 publication. It may have changed in later years, and I'm sure there were dealers out there putting spoilers on N/A's, just like they did on the MK3, and just like we do on new Corollas and Camrys at work.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Jeff Lange said:
It's referring to both, but it's a 1993 publication. It may have changed in later years, and I'm sure there were dealers out there putting spoilers on N/A's, just like they did on the MK3, and just like we do on new Corollas and Camrys at work.

Interesting.

I'd love to see something concrete on this concidering the large majority of MKIVs, NA or TT, that have the spoiler. Not that I think you're wrong or don't trust you...

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
It probably has something to do with how some people would buy a Supra off the lot or showroom floor, with the options that were pre-ordered or assembled, where some other people would order and wait on delivery of one with the exact options they want, Joe. This is why you sometimes see wingless TTs without holes in the factory mounting points.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Ok, then the original question about whether or not the spoiler is standard or option on the turbo or NA has been answered.

I know what you mean about the factory cars with no spoiler. There's die hard wingless guys who would kill for a hatch that doesn't have holes or holes that were filled by a body shop.

The only thing I'm not sure of now is what was factory option and what was dealer option.

I realize this is now pretty far off topic but I don't give a shit about that video we were talking about anyway. :)

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I thought the NA's were dealer option only. But I have no proof on that.

I know a Toyota nut will chime in with the correct answer.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I've looked through about 4 different '93 publications from Toyota and they all list the TT as the only version with an option for the spoiler.

That being said, I think it was a 93/early 94-only thing, because when I look in my parts catalog, starting with January 94 production, it lists it for all JZA80's, prior to that it only lists it for TT models.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
i didnt read the whole thread. but when i listened to that fool i got a strong urge to punch him in the face for talking out of nissian's ass.

nothing against nissian... it just made me cringe.

and yeah i realise that he's paid to have that opinion....i just had to say something.

does anybody know much about magazine articles and their repective reviews on cars? i've always had a feeling that some magazines, wether its RC cars or real ones...give opinions that dont set right with me... it seems kinda obvious that a paying advertiser in the same mag (as in my RC mags) would get better reviews...but i'm wondering if the publishers and writers really stoop that low or not....

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Yea thats the gayest video ever, and It looked like an NA MK4 they were running but it may have been turbo I didn't look real hard at it since they showed it all of 3 times, I like the quote "the nissan won most of the accelaration and handling contests" cuz that could mean it won one or 5 its no real statement, and the 300zx is a piece, hence they sell for mk3 supra prices 4500 to 8500, and they don't make power easily and they damn sure don't work well once modded, where as a stock 2jz can support 900+hp to the wheels on its facotry bottom end.
I have a bud with a 95 300zx tt 5 speed and its either broken or running poorly all the time and parts are expensive as shit for the damn thing too. It's not too fast for the money either, he paid 8k for it, got an exhaust, GReddy E01 Boost controller, K&N Intakes and hardpipes with dual BOV's and guess what, he loses to a mk4 that has exhaust boost controller and an intake, so it's not even BPU since it doesnt have the FMIC or the FCC that most BPU's run and its an auto mk4 not a stick thats pretty sad, NISSAN 300ZX The total package, that totally sucks donkey balls

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Seems like Nissan engines need quite a bit of internal work to get up to those high HP levels.
Everyone swings off the Skyline nuts, but they won't mention that reputable companies such as Jun and Blitz will recommend internals after 500whp, and we're not talking JUST pistons OR rods here.
Then again, how many people in the US TRULY have rebuild and serious upgrade experience with RB26 engines? Probably not even as many that have a desire to work with the VG30.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The wing as an option on the turbo, not available on the GE when it debuted. That later changed.

V engines are for packaging purposes only.