Did you know inlines 6 engines weren't for perfomance?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Hmm... lets see who stood the test of time:

1994 Supra
Kelly Blue Book: 12,700 - 19,700
Power: 320hp / 315tq
Weight: 3475
Pounds / hp: 10.859
Pounds / tq: 11.031

1994 300zx
Kelly Blue Book: 8,800 - 11,700
Power: 300hp / 307tq
Weight: 3517
Pounds / hp: 11.723
Pounds / tq: 11.456

So, what the guy is saying is that he would rather have a heavier chassis with less power that doesn't stop as well. Understandable, if Nissan is paying for his mortgage payments. Anything else is just plain insanity.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
mg89 said:
HAHAHA copyright 1993 Nissan Motor Company. I hate 300zx's, they are ugly.

I have to disagree... I've always loved the look of the last gen.

That said, I am happy as hell that I found my Supra first. I haven't spent any time on a 300 underhood, but I need all the room I can get and from what I hear pretty much everything is a PITA to get to. The starter and rear knock sensor on my '90 Turbo taught me to appreciate good parts placement and room to work. I am now SOLD on inline sixes, and if nothing else mattered, there is nothing in the world like a targa top. I've learned to never say never about anything, but I can't imagine life without my MKIII.

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
For some reason he forgets the Z31 still had an inline-6 in it's flagship model in Japan, meh, it's paid opinion.

The handling of the car is subjective enough that he could have believed what he was saying.

The fact that he's a driver doesn't make him an expert on engine design and engineering.

All that being said, Toyota has the same crap in their materials.

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
Jeff Lange said:
All that being said, Toyota has the same crap in their materials.

True enough. Denso makes just about all the external parts for most Japanese cars. And fuel injection related parts (including air measuring and oxygen sensors) are made by Bosch.

Anyway, this is one of those videos that is shown to sales people at the dealership. It's something called "propoganda." I used to sell cars, so I can spot them a mile away. I remember my training from Pontiac. The Pontiac films "proved" that the Pontiac Vibe was "superior" to the Toyota Matrix. That's when I knew I couldn't be a car salesman.

**Just so everyone here knows, the Matrix, Vibe, and JDM Toyota Voltz are the SAME FREAKING CAR made at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, Ca.**

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Yes. I sell parts to Vibe owners every now and then (rear wiper insert for example), because a lot of times it's cheaper through us than from GM, lol.

All the diagrams in the Toyota EPC for the Matrix look like the Vibe too, lol.

The Voltz is basically the Vibe body with the Matrix interior. :)

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
swaq said:
I knew what video that was before I clicked the link. One thing I'm wondering though, is it true that the 300ZX handles better than the Supra?
Possibly a little bit, I believe it has wider wheelbase?

If nothing else, it'll handle better because it'll be moving slower. :D

MKIII N00b said:
that is so fucking irritating.

that fucker is so stupid! omg...the only reason why he says the Z is doing better is because hes steering it better.
Actually, it's because he's getting paid by Nissan to say it's better, on top of a level of bias I'm sure.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
CryoSlash said:

Haha Laying 20 foot strips obviously gets the best 60' times. duh.

Notice in the beginning they highlight the categories the Nissan "won". but they leave the categories the Supra won the same color as to not draw attention away from the Z.

The Z got absolutely smoked in the braking. 170' compared to 89'... Thats pathetic.

Sparkynutz

Sad previous supra owner
Feb 27, 2006
Waupun, WI
GrimJack said:
Hmm... lets see who stood the test of time:

1994 Supra
Kelly Blue Book: 12,700 - 19,700
Power: 320hp / 315tq
Weight: 3475
Pounds / hp: 10.859
Pounds / tq: 11.031

1994 300zx
Kelly Blue Book: 8,800 - 11,700
Power: 300hp / 307tq
Weight: 3517
Pounds / hp: 11.723
Pounds / tq: 11.456

So, what the guy is saying is that he would rather have a heavier chassis with less power that doesn't stop as well. Understandable, if Nissan is paying for his mortgage payments. Anything else is just plain insanity.

holy crap that thing is heavy, i figured it woulda been lighter than that being that small.
I wonder what that tool wouda said if they compared the nissan to a an mr2 turbo, its more the size of that car anyways. just a thought

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The times they posted are for the NA model, despite claiming that they are testing the Turbo model.

1994 Toyota Supra NA
6.9 seconds 0-60
15.2 seconds 1/4 mile

1994 Toyota Supra Turbo
5.3 seconds 0-60
13.7 seconds 1/4 mile

1994 Nissan 300ZX Turbo
6.0 seconds 0-60
14.4 seconds 1/4 mile

This is just another example of how you can't trust most people who have a vested interest in the outcome of a debate. You can't trust a Nissan rep to give you an honest appraisal of a Toyota. You can't trust a Republican to give you an honest opinion about a Democrat. You can't trust Greenpeace to be honest about the destruction of rainforests, or fish spawning, or... actually, greenpeace is a bunch of liars, they don't tell the truth about anything. :D

Many people do this unconsciously, but this asshat is doing it deliberately. He doesn't give a damn what the Toyota fans think, he knows that we aren't going to convert, all he wants is to keep the Nissan fans happy and hopefully bite a bit more out of the domestic market.

The true test, however, is the test of time, and considering that these videos were made 12 years ago, this is a test we have already won. We have 12 years of data that shows the Supra is faster at the track, in the slalom, stops faster, holds its value better, and can hold more power without blowing up.

I hate to admit it, but there was a REASON the F&F movies picked the Supra.