custom oil pan

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
Since I need some help finishing this same mod I'll try posting this here.
I was going to make a full custom sump and was unsure about baffles ect. so I thought I'd give this a try. What I need help on is the pickup and the ring around it. I made the ring a little smaller than the hole in the pan.
My questions are
Should I make a 2jz style pickup and mount it closer to the pan?
or keep the stock and move it lower in the pan?
I'm thinking I should make the ring smaller and try to make it more like the group a pan.
or make a funnel style pickup
:1zhelp: please
I really wouldn't want to screw this up

Attachments

• oilpan1.JPG
    oilpan1.JPG
    434.9 KB · Views: 122
  • ring1.JPG
    ring1.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 125
  • ring2.JPG
    ring2.JPG
    285.2 KB · Views: 97
  • oil pickup.JPG
    oil pickup.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 129
  • assembly14.jpg
    assembly14.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 131

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
If my pan is ever off again, and I'm going to rebuild a 7M again, I'll do this mod in a heart beat.

I would think you need to add at least 4 "U" shaped holes to your round baffle. Or you could make them simply by cutting a "V" into the pipe, so the wide end is down against the pan floor of course... (Easy way is often the best way..)

I did bend my pickup tube so it's closer to the pan floor, the screen is basicly touching the pan, but since the pickup is away from the screen by 1/2" or so, it's perfect that way.

One more thing this does it give you a wider place for placing magnets. (I have a few powerful ones attached to my oil pan near the drain plug.) When you change your oil, just pull the magnets, and then drain te oil. The oil flowing out should pull much of the metal shavings out with it. Then I put the magnets back on and fill with oil again. :)

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
Adjuster said:
One more thing this does it give you a wider place for placing magnets. (I have a few powerful ones attached to my oil pan near the drain plug.) When you change your oil, just pull the magnets, and then drain te oil. The oil flowing out should pull much of the metal shavings out with it. Then I put the magnets back on and fill with oil again. :)
i like this idea

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
with mine it may not install it since i got a dry sump pump now

but with mine all i did was do the same thign you have list but my ring was bigger and i have holes(v's) drill at the bottm of the ring kinda like a saw blade

this way you still ahve move ment of oil but no to the point were it will run away from the pick up

hope this helps you but i think this is the best way of doing it cause this way when you drain your oil you will not have crap stuck i the ring wicht is the last thing you ever want to do

i may still install this pan thou for now tell my car goes back into the shop to do the dry sump cause it may only be on the road for like 3 mouths max

and as for the fittign that is find better then stuiped bango bolt :D

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Adjuster said:
If my pan is ever off again, and I'm going to rebuild a 7M again, I'll do this mod in a heart beat.

I would think you need to add at least 4 "U" shaped holes to your round baffle. Or you could make them simply by cutting a "V" into the pipe, so the wide end is down against the pan floor of course... (Easy way is often the best way..)

I did bend my pickup tube so it's closer to the pan floor, the screen is basicly touching the pan, but since the pickup is away from the screen by 1/2" or so, it's perfect that way.

you do not want to run it that close to your pan at all that is to close you will kill your motor espliay at high rpms low rpm is fine but who drives a supra like that

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
Thanks for the tips guys, appreciated.
I happen to have a couple of neodymium boron magnets (damn strong) kicking around here somewhere. The wife wonders why I hang on to things like that?:nuts: I knew I'd use them someday.

So Nash made his ring bigger Hmmm, good thing the pans not welded yet.
I may make a bigger one and shorten it a little, moving it further from the bottom of the pan baffle. I'm not sure how I will slot/drill the round baffle, but cutting the upside down T like in the group A pan should be easy enough

What about the stock pickup? I was seriously considering making a jz style pickup. Is it worth the time?
I had a pic of a 2jz pickup somewhere but I can't find it. It's flat kinda like this one.

Attachments

• 23-oilPickup.jpg
    23-oilPickup.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
yae i had to die grind the spot weld's to remove the baffle die grinder and flat blade

then slip the ring in the 7m pick up is fine the 2j one will be fine the 2j pick up is bigger but that is cause fo the pan they use on the 2j (this si what i was told bye a buddy of mine that pretty much knows what he is talking about and i bealv him as well)

any ways happy modding

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
The screen on the stock 7MGTE oil pump is about a 1/2" from the actual tube where the oil is sucked up into the pump.

There is not going to be a problem if your screen is touching the pan floor as long as you leave the 1/2" or so between the pipe and the floor/screen interface. If you leave the screen a 1/2" from the pan floor, then your pickup tube is really about an inch away from the floor, and that's too far IMHO.

Keep in mind that I run 10 quarts of oil all the time, have a 3 quart accusump that I flip on anytime I'm doing crazy stuff like braking or cornering hard, so even if the pickup is uncovered, the sump will push oil to the bearings and main galley for quite a while.

I would have done the mod to get more capacity, and to provide the larger pickup area with more equal space on both sides of the pickup. The round baffle is awesome and simple, and a few upside down "V" notches in the pipe would be plenty of area to let oil flow to the pickup, yet keep the bulk of the oil around the pick up most of the time. (Especially if the oil is overfilled like I run. The size of the gap between the pickup and the 3.5" pipe has plenty of surface area to let oil down into the pickup area too.)

Nice mod. Easy to do, simple and reliable as IJ points out. Nothing moving to fail.
Oh, and I got rid of the banjo fitting too. :) Milled my pump to a full AN10 BSP 90 to AN10 fitting, and then upgraded the flow size from the pump to the main galley to all AN10 or better. (The stock oil filter feed hole from the pump is quite small actually, so we just tapped and plugged it, then ran the oil out of the block at the NA cooler fitting which is easy to tap to 20mm thread, same as the main galley return fitting. I used a AN10 to 1/2" NPT, but if I did this again, I'd use two BSP20mm to AN10 fittings like the one that is in the main galley return hole.

Seems to be working just fine so far. :)
p295513_1.jpg

p295513_2.jpg

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
reson why i don't like the screan near the floor is grabage control aka you have greater chnace of shit gettign cought in the screen it from it tuching the pan and even worst off if you get dent int eh pan in the right spot you are dead

sure it can be lower but but tuching the pan i just bean told by alot of peoepl is just not good idea cause all the crap sit at the bottom

that si just my 2 cents

Last edited:

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
hummmm i was thinking mabye i might try what tig is doing with the pick up

as int eh 2j one caus ei was looking at one the rother day and you knwo whay it's alot better then the 7m one you can run it closer to the pan then the 7m

man thanks tig i think i may be doing this now

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
Hey, no prob
I got the idea from bigaaron in the "canton racing oil pan" thread. Some good ideas in there.
Now we just need to find out how far a 2j pickup is mounted from the pan.:icon_wink

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
not sure if he has finshed it i don't even knwo if he has supra still

other wish this idea is still good and should be done any ways
but wiht the ring and still don't liek the idea of the screen on the pan it can collect junk if you want it close to the floor push the screen up some

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
so NashMan or anyone for that matter did they do this mod and did everything hold up?

and nash are you going to make these oil pans for sale?if not maybe if I send you my pan and give you a offer you can't refuse could you make me one?

I was looking at a build thread were the guy took a brand new oil pan and did the same thing but he made his look more like the maroso pan.I wish I could find that thread again.If anybody knows who or what thread I'm talking about please pm me the link

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i might might bebale to make more then one pan but get back to me later on in pms

i going to run one in my car my old pic's i had up are gone of my prototye but they have bean ereashed