Crazy how fast your life can flash in front of your eyes..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
franky2fingaz;1892951 said:
...but what's sadder is when we get that old and loose our mobility, but it's bound to happen eventually ...
When that day comes, like a dog past it's healthy and happy days, take me out back and put a bullet between my eyes.

IJ.;1892967 said:
Comes a time when the Supra thing gets played out and you move on...
Oh, I'll likely never sell the car, but rather keep it until some bullshit like this happens to it. Then I'll probably cry. :(

You'd still have yours wouldn't you?

Grandavi;1893055 said:
Just think about 10 years from now... How many if our cars will still be on the road?
At the rate they're being parted out on here... I'd suggest not many.

Devin LeBlanc;1893172 said:
After you drive 500HP Evo's all day long.. The Mk3 feels like a pinto...
You ever drive a Mk3 with a modern turbo setup and well sorted suspension?

At the end of a day, even an Evo is still a POS Lancer underneath.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
te72;1893245 said:
When that day comes, like a dog past it's healthy and happy days, take me out back and put a bullet between my eyes.

Oh, I'll likely never sell the car, but rather keep it until some bullshit like this happens to it. Then I'll probably cry. :(

You'd still have yours wouldn't you?

At the rate they're being parted out on here... I'd suggest not many.

You ever drive a Mk3 with a modern turbo setup and well sorted suspension?

Probably not... only kept it as long as I did due to the $$$ I'd put into it, towards the end the Shell was showing signs of a hard life..

As for the original topic try waking in hospital 2 weeks after some fool almost takes your life... puts things in perspective, cars can be replaced they're "just a car" ;)
(as I said a few pages back VERY Happy Devin wasn't seriously hurt this can be a dangerous hobby)

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I totally agree with IJ - i just don't have the time, energy & cash to fund a Mk3 Supra anymore. Honestly, i'm looking more for practicality and total cost of ownership for future cars. For fast cars, it's now a case of 'been there, done that' and move on. I'll keep my one remaining Mk3 for a bit but i dont want to spend any more on it than i have to. If i ended up in the same situation as Devin, i'd be moving on to something else, too.

As you grow older - your emotional attachment to cars wanes pretty significantly.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I am glad no one was seriously hurt or layed up for long. In the end what you decide to do after this is all up to you. I hope you the best but I also hope you continue to visit us and share your extensive knowledge and good nature with us.

Regarding the comment on the 500 hp evo.... you shouldn't be comparing that car to our supra's. They aren't in the same class and there is a couple huge reasons for it. RWD to AWD, 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder, Full size to crackerjack toy. I like awd but at least say you like a skyline or something real. For that matter, here is a nice tribute to the supra R.I.P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD4xFDj_Tpw

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
te72;1893245 said:

I still remember the day this hit me. I saw an Evo next to a Lancer and noticed just a few body add ons separate the two. Obviously there are tremendous mechanical differences, but even still... knowing the EVO is just a souped up Lancer.... yuck.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
suprarx7nut;1893624 said:
I still remember the day this hit me. I saw an Evo next to a Lancer and noticed just a few body add ons separate the two. Obviously there are tremendous mechanical differences, but even still... knowing the EVO is just a souped up Lancer.... yuck.

The old ones are based on the Mirage.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
This conversation shouldn't be on this thread. Personally I hope the original poster likes how much we are fighting for the cars reputation and I hope gets the surpa bug again soon :)

I thought the 1st gen evo was really a plymouth laser, eagle talon or mitsubishi eclipse (especially the awd units) ... it wasn't till early 2000's that they moved it from the eclipse to the lancer since they wanted 4 doors and the talon was discontinued. Either way... one of the best 4 cylinder motors on the market tucked into a fwd go-cart.

I swear by supra's as one of the best built sports cars from the late 80's - early 90's and they cost a lot because they are built right. Gonna go up against a corvette, camaro, civic (1.6 pushing 350hp right now) and a talon (342 hp awd) in the late summer. My car should be done by then even though I wont have more money for my car again until late spring once school is done.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nick M;1893294 said:
Get a 4WD Chevy Tahoe. To drive on an almost daily basis.
For a guy in Vegas, that's about as useful as a Miata in Alaska. :p

Good trucks to go camping with though...

Kai;1893344 said:
As you grow older - your emotional attachment to cars wanes pretty significantly.
I can see that for sure. I used to be absolutely paranoid about my first Supra getting hurt. Maybe it's because I'm older now, maybe it's because the current Supra is kinda a heap, but I don't feel that way so much anymore.

suprarx7nut;1893624 said:
It was the interior that killed it for me. Buddy had a Lancer of some sort after he got out of the Supra game, that thing was a total pile, particularly inside. Finally got to ride in an Evo a few years later. Same pile, but a bit faster...

ttsupra2503;1893655 said:
I thought the 1st gen evo was really a plymouth laser, eagle talon or mitsubishi eclipse (especially the awd units) ... it wasn't till early 2000's that they moved it from the eclipse to the lancer since they wanted 4 doors and the talon was discontinued. Either way... one of the best 4 cylinder motors on the market tucked into a fwd go-cart.
Err... whut?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancer_Evolution#Evolution_I

wikipedia said:
It used the 2.0 L turbocharged DOHC engine and 4WD drivetrain from the original Galant VR-4 in a Lancer chassis, and was sold in GSR and RS models...

The Eclipse/Talon/Laser were all built in the USA, and weren't even available in Japan...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
te72;1894295 said:
For a guy in Vegas, that's about as useful as a Miata in Alaska. :p

Guess how many people have hit my Yukon because they didn't see it. Yeah, it can happen. But it is much easier to hit a car that is not tall.

ttsupra2503;1893655 said:
I swear by supra's as one of the best built sports cars from the late 80's - early 90's and they cost a lot because they are built right.

Your thoughts on the car are right, but it isn't a sports car. The JZA80 was, ours is not.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
te72;1894295 said:
Err... whut?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancer_Evolution#Evolution_I

The Eclipse/Talon/Laser were all built in the USA, and weren't even available in Japan...

Ok... the car I just sold had the same 4g63t motor (6 bolt main) 4wd drivetrain with a different body... wouldn't that make it the north american version of the evo until later... I wasn't sure of the exact year but I didn't recognize it before evo 3. I wouldn't mind a evo 9 for a winter beater. Couldn't leave it stock though

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nick M;1894400 said:
Guess how many people have hit my Yukon because they didn't see it. Yeah, it can happen. But it is much easier to hit a car that is not tall.
Ahhhh... now I see what you were getting at. Very true too... have nearly been side swiped by a couple people who fail to look before deciding to come into a lane that's occupied... I have since learned not to dawdle beside people who don't know you're there.

ttsupra2503;1894407 said:
Ok... the car I just sold had the same 4g63t motor (6 bolt main) 4wd drivetrain with a different body... wouldn't that make it the north american version of the evo until later... I wasn't sure of the exact year but I didn't recognize it before evo 3. I wouldn't mind a evo 9 for a winter beater. Couldn't leave it stock though
I think I see what you're getting at. It wasn't the "Evo" necessarily, but the closest thing we had to it. I mean there are still significant differences in the chassis (the part that makes 90% of the personality of the car IMO), but I suppose the basic drivetrain is there. Fair point I suppose. :)

Although another way to look at it, both the Corvette and the Camaro SS use an LS3, they're both RWD, and both use a 6-speed manual trans. However, in driving them both, you'll quickly find one is a LOT different from the other. ;)

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Yeah, funny enough I had never seen an evo 1 or 2 before so I thought that is really where they derived it from. I Know when to admit that I am wrong though.

That was a really good reference lol ... my friend has a factory 5 corvette... very nice setup yet he cant stop driving his v8 bmw. I figure that he is afraid to drive it since he put so much money into it.

I cant wait to get my motor back from the shop... been 4 weeks and waiting on pistons from driftmotion. Might change my mind on what motor I am keeping in the car. Will look again once I am done school. I will go talk to people on that part of the forum to try and keep this post clean lol.... like it isn't already too late for that

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
good to see no one was hurt, but still looking at the wreckage hurts....

on the comment of your car feeling like a pinto... full-weight 89's are quite possibly the heaviest supra ever produced... my 87 hardtop in comparison to my 89 targa... was WAAAY quicker (same drivetrain was in both) (89 was t-boned, insurance $ bought the 87, and full drivetrain swap was done)

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
89jdm7m;1896355 said:
good to see no one was hurt, but still looking at the wreckage hurts....

on the comment of your car feeling like a pinto... full-weight 89's are quite possibly the heaviest supra ever produced... my 87 hardtop in comparison to my 89 targa... was WAAAY quicker (same drivetrain was in both) (89 was t-boned, insurance $ bought the 87, and full drivetrain swap was done)

The difference is targa vs. hardtop. There is way more metal in a targa than a hardtop. My 1990 fullweight turbo hardtop weighs 3530 without me in it. And thats with 2 10 inch subs in the hatch. If I were to strip the interior from the front seats back, get rid of the subs, swap out the front seats to light weight counterparts, and put in a lighter battery, I feel like I could easily drop 100 pounds. About all I would ever do it put lighter seats in, and a lighter battery lol