computer headaches

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Doward;1173996 said:
3x swap file? That's freaking ridiculous!

Tanya, open up your task manager, go to your performance tab, and see what kind of swap file you have when running full tilt.

With 1GB of ram, I find in the order of 1.5GB Swap is the biggest needed.

Also, 32bit Windows WILL see 4GB of ram. YOU (the end user) will not.

That's what I've been taught and followed. It's ridiculous when you have 3 or 4 gigs of RAM, yes...but even XP can eat a Gig like it's Pez...besides, in the land of 100Gig+ hard drives, what's 3gigs? *shrug*

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Tanya;1174281 said:
Doward, 64 processes because there was a guest logged in at the time. Just me on the pc is 42 processes.

Even 42 processes is asinine. I try and keep mine under 30, mid-20's at best, low 30's at worst. There's a bunch of crap that XP loads that you'll never use, and on top of that...HP has even more...lol. You should be able to cut your start-up processes almost in half, and your computer will seem like a brand new machine.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Spybot lets you do the same thing ;)

Tanya, open up 'Run' and type in 'msconfig' - Now go to Startup, and uncheck everything. Restart. Check the box that pops up on restart, and enjoy speediness :)

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I turned off a few things this am and got it down to 35 processes. I'm not interested in nuking everything my pc really does run just fine. It only sloths up when I have Photoshop and Illustrator running, which is why I want more RAM eventually.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Doward;1176299 said:
I have yet to see a program that didn't load itself when you executed the main program. ;)

Oh, for sure...I totally agree there. But, just for example, an A/V program you would want to load the monitor on startup, and in my instance, on my XP profile, I load my Creative Volume mixer/doohickey, my fan monitor for my motherboard, and my ESET and UnHackMe. But, I've turned a lot of shit off in the Services Manager, and I think I'm down to about 28 processes on startup.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Tanya;1176337 said:
I turned off a few things this am and got it down to 35 processes. I'm not interested in nuking everything my pc really does run just fine. It only sloths up when I have Photoshop and Illustrator running, which is why I want more RAM eventually.

I really think increasing your swapfile will help in that arena...may not be blistering, but try it...should help some. Just hard-set it to 3gigs and reboot.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Good point, forgot to mention that....

Tanya, make the first number the same size as the second number to lock it at a set size. Also, if you have a second internal hard drive (not partition), use that instead. It's a little faster to access two separate drives, than to double-tap the same drive, i.e., constantly writing to the swapfile AND accessing all your programs and data.