computer headaches

Who

Supramania Contributor
Ok so your bios does not see your cdrom. Forget about drivers for now. We have to get your bios to see the cdrom first. From the picture on your mboard it looks like you only have one ide slot (circled in red). Is your cdrom daisy chained to your hard drive with the same cable. The cable should be flat and about three inches wide?

Did you just swap out the mboard when you did the repair or did you have to swap the hard drive / cdrom and mboard?

***Edit***

Oops guess I arrived late to the party. Glad you got it resolved. What did you do?

Attachments

• c00208791.jpg
    c00208791.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
oh i am just a dumbass, that's all, LOL only the thin, wide strip was plugged in, not the other plugs.

deedeedee

after removing everything numerous times over the past few weeks, I guess I was bound to miss something, grrr

she works perfect now, although I feel that the video card is getting REALLY hot, but I dont know how hot its supposed to be. I know the processor is running 140*F/60C iwith a new heatsink an arctic silver compound, damn thing has always run that hot, but works fine

Who

Supramania Contributor
Tanya;1172502 said:
oh i am just a dumbass, that's all, LOL only the thin, wide strip was plugged in, not the other plugs.

deedeedee

after removing everything numerous times over the past few weeks, I guess I was bound to miss something, grrr

she works perfect now, although I feel that the video card is getting REALLY hot, but I dont know how hot its supposed to be. I know the processor is running 140*F/60C iwith a new heatsink an arctic silver compound, damn thing has always run that hot, but works fine

Its a micro atx board so I'm guessing the case is probably small and hardly moves any air. Arctic silver is good but did you follow the directions. More is not better with heat sink goo. Less is best. As you go through a bunch of heat cycles your temps should drop as the arctic silver settles in. Your p4 is probably a prescott core or one of the last builds of the p4 and they were known to run hot. Don't worry about burning up the cpu. The p4 throttles down when it starts to over heat. My geekness is really shining through. Goodnight.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
IJ.;1172507 said:
"Blonde" isn't just a hair colour ;)

HUSH YOU. I'm a brunette, and have only bleached my hair a few times. I've been a redhead for the past couple years!

whowouldfigga;1172609 said:
Its a micro atx board so I'm guessing the case is probably small and hardly moves any air. Arctic silver is good but did you follow the directions. More is not better with heat sink goo. Less is best.

Directions? What are those? LOL

No, I did not goop the hell out of it, I actually took quite a bit off smoothing it out with a card so there wouldn't be any thin spots or bumps. NOt worried about the processor, just the video card as this is aftermarket and wonder how much it can take.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
GrimJack;1171514 said:
Unlikely... they replaced the mainboard, so they might have mixed up the cable, or left it unplugged, but most people leave the jumpers on the drives alone when changing something else. :)

on a school computer, the CD drives just stopped working one day. they had power, and windows xp showed both drives, but wouldn't read either of them. I opened the case up, and both drives were set to same jumper (both on slave or both on master, i dont rememer which, it was a while ago) I reset one jumper, and both drives worked fine thereafter.
It was the weirdest thing, because both drives HAD been working, and nobody had opened that computer up....then one day it stopped.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
flight doc89;1172852 said:
on a school computer, the CD drives just stopped working one day. they had power, and windows xp showed both drives, but wouldn't read either of them. I opened the case up, and both drives were set to same jumper (both on slave or both on master, i dont rememer which, it was a while ago) I reset one jumper, and both drives worked fine thereafter.
It was the weirdest thing, because both drives HAD been working, and nobody had opened that computer up....then one day it stopped.
Fucking gremlins again. Those little bastards will kill us all yet. ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
My vid card has a MASSIVE passive cooler with heatpipes on it, and during gaming it's not wise to touch...

But I have one hell of a case... (Antec Nine Hundred)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I hate you, Poodles ;) (I want the twelve hundred)

Tanya, glad you got that fixed hun :) What video card do you have?

Also, replace those two 256mb sticks with another single 512mb, so you can get your dual channel working again - that will help you out performance wise.

Which video card (model) do you have?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I picked up my Nine Hundred on sale at Fry's for CHEAP (less than $100). They had a batch that had bad 120mm fans, and instead of making people RMA them, they sent a full set of replacement fans with the case!

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
I have the Nine Hundred as well...best case I have owned.

Oh...and both of my NVids have heat pipe as well as ducted 40 or 50mm fans. Hehe.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've got a seriously oldschool server case - one of the first ones with a removable tray where you installed your mainboard and expansion cards outside the case proper.

It's been getting a little long in the tooth lately, I'm seriously considering picking up one of those new Antec Skeletons. Fits my computer style, I'm constantly screwing with my main PC, and it hasn't had the case sides on it in well over a decade.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Doward;1172990 said:
Tanya, glad you got that fixed hun :) What video card do you have?

Also, replace those two 256mb sticks with another single 512mb, so you can get your dual channel working again - that will help you out performance wise.

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT, 256mb

And eventually, I want to max out the memory (4GB), once I have the money so I probably won't worry about another 512 stick til then