charcoal canister delete on the mk3 bad?

RedPhoenix

Kill it with fire!
Sep 23, 2009
Tampa, FL
I didnt read through all this arguing. My car came with no CC. I do want to add one to properly pressurize the tank.

What do you think of a motorcycle CC?

pic3476_177327_thumb.jpg

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Once the can is saturated, the vapors spill out of the canister vent. US EPA requirements are quite strict (3-day diurnal + hot soak test and so on) and the smaller canister won't pass (it gets saturated after too many days without a purge).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
3p141592654;1885648 said:
Once the can is saturated, the vapors spill out of the canister vent. US EPA requirements are quite strict (3-day diurnal + hot soak test and so on) and the smaller canister won't pass (it gets saturated after too many days without a purge).
Makes sense thanks 3P!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I still remember my air pollution engineering class and when activated charcoal came up I thought the surface area in the text was a typo. Unfathomable surface area. Absolutely incredible.

I couldn't believe nobody else was impressed. I was in awe and everyone else was asleep.

I remember adsorption vs absorption, but couldn't tell you the difference off hand.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
As others have mentioned the JDM CC is much smaller and designed to work. I purchased one on here a while back by positing a WTB thread. I then ran the feed line to the (US) passenger side fenderwell and mounted the CC in there. I now dont have that huge bastard in my engine bay, have a place to one day place my oil catch can, and still have the full functionality of the CC.

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Sorry i do not have the measurements and it is tucked between the fendor and liner so it would take a bit to get at. However, here is a picture of it next to the stock CC that it replaced. I should mention that i was told that it was off of a TTR so not sure if it is smaller then a normal JDM one or not.

Attachments

• IMAG0280.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 44

RedPhoenix

Kill it with fire!
Sep 23, 2009
Tampa, FL
I know its hard to judge by a picture... but does this REALLY look that much smaller than that TTR??

p1886190_1.jpg

for cheap on ebay all day long, it may be worth a shot.