charcoal canister delete on the mk3 bad?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Smartparts;1884522 said:
How come Cavitation isn't an issue when the car is not at operating temperature, and the BVSV is closed meaning theres no pressure drawn from the gas tank?
Because it ISN'T an issue ever??

Maybe when there's only 5 litres left in the tank and you brake or corner hard..

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Correct me if I'm wrong here. I've understood cavitation to be when fluid sees sudden low pressure, causing the fluid to boil monetarily and creating a pocket of vapor.

The low pressure is typically caused by a pump trying to pull more than the fluid allows or a sharp bend in flow path

Right?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
This topic has been covered many times. I started a thread a while back with my attempt to replace the factory system with a small charcoal canister and 2psi check valve. Apparently I did it wrong. Still not sure why, as it appears to be working fine for me. There's good info in the thread, perhaps you'll have a better understanding of it than I.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...er-install-*PICS*&highlight=charcoal+canister

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
suprarx7nut;1884753 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong here. I've understood cavitation to be when fluid sees sudden low pressure, causing the fluid to boil monetarily and creating a pocket of vapor.

The low pressure is typically caused by a pump trying to pull more than the fluid allows or a sharp bend in flow path

Right?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This is what I know cavitation as. and don't forget the bad part, when that pocket of vapor disappears and the fluid around in comes crashing down with tremendous force. I have a feeling that something else is meant by cavitation as it is being used here.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
If you want to understand this learn about NPSHA, that's net positive suction head available. The likelihood of cavitation in this application is not great, but given the right fuel temps, elevation and high demand it can happen.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Tech Article #62 on Autoshop101.com (which explains the evap system well and is reprinted from Toyota factory training materials) as well as every TCCS manual I own state the slight positive tank pressure is there specifically to reduce pump cavitation due to fuel vaporization. The books further state check valve #2 in the evap cannister is what maintains that pressure. Fwiw...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
jetjock;1884879 said:
Tech Article #62 on Autoshop101.com (which explains the evap system well and is reprinted from Toyota factory training materials) as well as every TCCS manual I own state the slight positive tank pressure is there specifically to reduce pump cavitation due to fuel vaporization. The books further state check valve #2 in the evap cannister is what maintains that pressure. Fwiw...
Thanks JJ, learnt something new ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
3p141592654;1883962 said:
One ant can't do much, but an army of ants can clean the flesh off your bones in no time.
This post reminds me that I have an off topic post to write up on the subject. Thanks 3p!

jetjock;1883949 said:
There's so much fail in this thread I don't know where to start. I will say one thing though: for me it's not about emissions at all.
As always with the vague posts haha... I am curious where your interest lies in the subject then. Only other thing I haven't seen mentioned is that if you just remove the canister but don't vent the line somewhere away from your engine bay (exhaust side at that!), you're letting fumes build up under your hood, in the hottest area of the engine bay...

z4ck

Feb 23, 2012
Houston
Anyone know where I can buy a charcoal canister online? I know the JZA70 ones work but those are nearly impossible to find. I would rather not search around in a junk yard without an idea of what I am looking for either...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
z4ck;1884927 said:
Anyone know where I can buy a charcoal canister online? I know the JZA70 ones work but those are nearly impossible to find. I would rather not search around in a junk yard without an idea of what I am looking for either...
I would love to know this as well, not too easy to shop for 1jz OEM parts in this part of the world.

I read through that tech article that jetjock posted, and in the testing of the evap system, it mentions that a properly functioning system should flow around 25L. My question then, or more a confirmation rather, do they mean 25L of air/fuel vapor? If that is the case, then that could actually improve fuel economy a decent amount to have a properly functioning system!

Adding a CC to the list of crap to make sure we have for the 87 when we get started...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Emissions aside it should be obvious that venting paid for fuel overboard, even as vapor, rather than combusting it is dumb. Especially at today's prices. Gotta have that clean engine bay to impress, well, someone though. Not sure who.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Way way back when I was a munchkin (about 42 years ago) my Father had a 1964 Holden that had a 179Ci I-6, they had a "walking stick" breather from the Rocker Cover down the side of the engine that would vent under the car...

We fitted it with a new fangled PCV valve and hose and fuel economy took a leap not to mention the smell of oil and fumes were gone making long drives much nicer (I got car sick as a kid)..

Always makes me laugh when people "clean up" engine bays with NFI what the systems they're removing do!!

Here in Australia back in 1976 they introduced ADR27a which was emissions control on all new engines.. DISMAL Failure and it destroyed performance/economy/driveability and was something that should have been "cleaned up" ;)

By Mid 80's car companies started to get it right, Toyota did a great job, Fast forward to today and the current crop of factory performance cars are stunning by comparison!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Very much agreed IJ. Although I will say that my buddy's FC RX7 picked up quite a bit of response as a result of removing its emissions bits, and oddly enough, his fuel economy has been surprisingly decent for a rotary that isn't treated kindly.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'd have to look it up, but I remember GM making a V8 back in the early smog control days that made less than 100HP :3d_frown:

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
This thread made a right turn somewhere, but on the topic of emission control history, it was 1975 when California CARB emission standards forced most automakers (except Honda's CVCC) to use the first two-way (or oxidation) catalytic converters. I can remember a trip to England some years later and couldn't believe that the cars had next to no emission controls at that time (late 70's) and the stench was appalling. They were still using leaded gas as well!