charcoal canister delete on the mk3 bad?

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
i put a 2jzge-nat setup in a 1986.5 supra and i pulled out the charcoal canister when i did this swap so there is a line at the firewall that i assume goes back to the tank and the other went to the vacuum system.
SO the question is what are the cons of me just plugging the line and get a vented gas cap? or should i find the folgers can and hook it back up?

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^you can use a smaller unit from another vehicle..... you can also move its location to somewhere less obvious,

then there are always the Environmental regulations.... and associated fines...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
1986.5supra_kid;1883749 said:
i put a 2jzge-nat setup in a 1986.5 supra and i pulled out the charcoal canister when i did this swap so there is a line at the firewall that i assume goes back to the tank and the other went to the vacuum system.
SO the question is what are the cons of me just plugging the line and get a vented gas cap? or should i find the folgers can and hook it back up?

It keeps a specific amount of pressure in the tank to stop cavitation of the pump and smooth fuel delivery.

kelson;1883760 said:
GET RID OF THAT GARBAGE!!! I haven't had one since my swap. No cat either, screw this crap.

Yes, because removing the cat gives you so much power :icon_roll

Hint: it doesn't, and it removes the most harmful byproducts of combustion. Unless you're running leaded gas, you're just being a cheap ass. I'm sure you removed your EGR as well without thinking of the consequences to the tuning of the motor...

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
The cat is an expensive piece of crap that NYS doesn't bother with after 25 years, and it IS a restriction. The environment has been here for millions of years and thinking that us pesky little humans can obliterate the environment by running without a cat is the most egotistical thing I've ever heard. It's also a ridiculously popular viewpoint...of course, a lot of people like Jersey Shore so I'm not surprised.

As for the charcoal canister, keep it but find a smaller unit, it helps more than it hurts. Keep your EGR as well, that prevents knocking under high load part throttle situations.

jetjock;1883751 said:
^ This. One other con is I will close my eyes, put my fingertips to my head, and concentrate on wishing your car gets seized for tampering, crushed, and melted down into tuna cans...

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/exhaust_muffler/ques081_0.html

What Is Emissions-legal?
Any of the following may be considered emissions tampering and get you into trouble:

Removing the EGR valve or plugging its vacuum lines
Removing or disconnecting the PCV valve
Removing the stock air cleaner and heat riser duct plumbing
Removing the catalytic converter
Removing or disconnecting the air pump
Removing or modifying the stock distributor vacuum advance/retard
Altering the stock ignition advance mechanism or timing curve
Replacing the stock distributor with an aftermarket unit that is not emissions certified
Modifying, removing or replacing the stock computer or PROM chip with a non-certified component
Blocking the heat riser duct under the intake manifold
Knocking out the filler restrictor on the fuel tank inlet pipe
Replacing the stock non-vented gas cap with a vented cap
Removing or disconnecting the fuel vapor recovery canister
Changing the idle mixture or stock carburetor jetting
Removing or modifying the carburetor choke
Modifying or replacing the carburetor accelerator pump with non-certified components
Installing an intake manifold or racing manifold that lacks provisions for the stock EGR valve and/or a heat riser duct
Installing a carburetor that lacks the stock emission hookups
Installing non-certified fuel injectors
Installing a long duration "racing" cam that is not emissions-certified
Installing exhaust headers that lack provisions for a heat riser valve, an air cleaner preheat stove or fittings for an oxygen sensor (if required)
Installing valve covers with open breathers or no fittings for a PCV valve
Installing any induction, fuel or ignition system component that is NOT emissions legal

Sounds like I need to ask permission to pick my own nose...as long as I don't pollute the environment with my toxic mucus. The government can shove it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
SideWinderGX;1883812 said:
The cat is an expensive piece of crap that NYS doesn't bother with after 25 years, and it IS a restriction. The environment has been here for millions of years and thinking that us pesky little humans can obliterate the environment by running without a cat is the most egotistical thing I've ever heard. It's also a ridiculously popular viewpoint...of course, a lot of people like Jersey Shore so I'm not surprised.

Actually, no, it's not. Well, maybe if it's clogged, but that means your engine is running like crap.

I never said it will "obliterate the environment," try reading what I wrote.

I don't want to be behind your dumbass without a cat when I'm driving with my windows down and neither does anyone else. If you think it's so "clean" go breath it yourself...

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Poodles;1883837 said:
Actually, no, it's not. Well, maybe if it's clogged, but that means your engine is running like crap.

A cat is a restriction compared to a straight pipe. A 2" exhaust is also a restriction when compared to a 3" exhaust. This isn't opinion.

I don't want to be behind your dumbass without a cat when I'm driving with my windows down and neither does anyone else. If you think it's so "clean" go breath it yourself...

I never said it was 'clean', try reading what I wrote.

Sucks for you, deal with it.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
Poodles;1883784 said:
Yes, because removing the cat gives you so much power :icon_roll

Hint: it doesn't, and it removes the most harmful byproducts of combustion. Unless you're running leaded gas, you're just being a cheap ass. I'm sure you removed your EGR as well without thinking of the consequences to the tuning of the motor...

After I did my 1jz swap (no EGR), I made my own exhaust so I left out the cat, because its not helping performance. Seems like a good idea to me. And yes, I am cheap because I'm a student and don't have a job during the school year. I'm actually a pretty smart person, but thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt:3d_frown:.

Now a bit of a tangent, how does a vacuum line to the gas tank help prevent cavitation? that interest me.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
kelson;1883848 said:
After I did my 1jz swap (no EGR), I made my own exhaust so I left out the cat, because its not helping performance. Seems like a good idea to me. And yes, I am cheap because I'm a student and don't have a job during the school year. I'm actually a pretty smart person, but thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt:3d_frown:.

Now a bit of a tangent, how does a vacuum line to the gas tank help prevent cavitation? that interest me.

There is a 2psi checkvalve in the CC.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
Poodles;1883867 said:
There is a 2psi checkvalve in the CC.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'm not going to spoon feed you on what cavitation is, why pressure effects it, and why the system works the way it does.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Because OP asked nicely, seems genuinely interested and also because I'm not an asshole, I'll answer instead.

As per user gaboonviper:
Ever notice the hiss you hear when you remove the gas cap?...this is pressure that gas fumes build when it heats up a bit...our cars are supposed to build about 5psi of pressure in the tank to stop fuel pump cavitation....when the tank builds too much pressure the charcoal canister (evap canister) filters the fumes threw charcoal as it bleeds the tank for emissions control, cause bleeding raw fumes is stupid and a potential fire hazzard

With the charcoal canister removed, the excessive pressure built up in the tank will cause the pump to cavitate. Low flow, premature wear on the pump, etc etc.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
Poodles;1883873 said:
I'm not going to spoon feed you on what cavitation is, why pressure effects it, and why the system works the way it does.

wow. once again, thank you for assuming I don't know anything. I'm very familiar with what cavitation is and how it can effect spinning blades such as this picture of the the propeller or a similar blade within the fuel pump. The fuel pump sits at the bottom of a fuel tank under say about 10psi of hydrostatic pressure when the tank is near full. Plus of course atmospheric pressure. So then how does adding effectively 2psi more atmospheric pressure to the tank keep vacuums from forming in the turbulent flow behind the pump blades. I'm not trying to be annoying I'm just wondering because you seem to know what you're talking about and I don't have that vacuum line hooked up. If I am doing damage to my fuel pump I would like for you to explain to me why, because I think I understand what is going on and I don't see it

cavitation.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nothing to do with "cavitation" it's 2 psi of pressure over the pump head, i.e. 40 psi base+ 2 psi inlet = 42 psi so the pump has less work to do to achieve your rail pressure as set at the FPR.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
IJ.;1883889 said:
Nothing to do with "cavitation" it's 2 psi of pressure over the pump head, i.e. 40 psi base+ 2 psi inlet = 42 psi so the pump has less work to do to achieve your rail pressure as set at the FPR.

Thank you Ian, this makes much more sense. :-D

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
As for deleting the other stuff I don't, CC can be hidden if you use a smaller plastic one from a junkyard, just make sure it has either a non return valve fitted to the manifold signal port or put one in so it can't pump up under boost, Cats there are a LOT of high flow options available and while strictly NOT legal they help remove a lot of the nasties that come out the tail pipe...

If you've ever spent time tuning in a closed dyno cell and shut the extraction fans off you'll know what I mean, same effect as someone following behind, vinegar smell/burning eyes..

EGR we never got that here so can't comment.

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
hot topic! so i guess i need to plumb that big ugly bastard back in there. and egr? my FFIM doesnt have a port for this application so ill be using a block off. i highly doubt this egr is a big ordeal seeing as more fuel cools the motor and inert gases just take up space for combustion also reducing heat-power.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
I'm gonna have to find a charcoal cannister to replace the one the shop that botched my car removed, and bent my vent tube to block it off.
Sounds like this is causing the low flow issue im having, my fpr never rises with boost...