Changing my head gasket, me asking for your help while doing this

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
If you're taking that all off I'd just try and do the EGR cooler gasket while it's apart. Might make getting some of those nasty to reach bolts a tiny bit easier from one side at least. The gasket shouldn't be more than $25 - $30 at the most from the dealer.

And for what it's worth I'll agree with no loctite as well. It gets way to damn hot in there for even the high temp stuff.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Orion ZyGarian;1873724 said:
I think many just use Toyota FIPG on it

What kind of temps can FIPG take? The whole reason this is an issue is because the 3rd party gaskets burn up because it gets so damn hot back there.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Personally I'd rather spend the $25 than risk having to redo it again. It's a major PITA to do....$25 is cheap as far as failure insurance goes if you ask me.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Doubly agreed, it's easy to mess up while applying FIPG or stuff like that especially in that area of the motor with little room to see and move around. A metal gasket or something that can stand up to the temperatures is peace of mind.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Alright I got the tools, a right angle drill, NAPA helicoil kit with 13/32 dirll bit and M10 X 1.25mm helicoils and a tap.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Anybody have any tips on drilling the holes? It seems like it is very easy to mess up on this step and widen the hole I figured the hole itself would help prevent the drill bit from going nuts and widening it.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Start slow and go even. Then on tapping go in a little bit then back off the threads and take the tap out. I personally did quarter turns, then would back up and go again, after a whole turn I then pulled out the tap and cleaned the aluminum off the tap with a wire brush and out of the hole with compressed air. Make sure those threads are clean on the tap, you don't want galling!

Sent from my G2x using Tapatalk 2

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea I noticed that in your video and I am going to do it that way I am mainly worried about the drilling part because from what everyone is telling me I can easily mess up the hole but I thought the aluminum around the hole would be strong enough to help guide the drill bit and not widen as easily.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
After you carefully drill the first few threads straight it will guide you. Just have a steady hand :)

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Thanks everyone I plan on removing the turbo and exhaust manifold today or tonight I also have to remove a broken bolt from the thermostat housing, that should be fun.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
I've never used it and an not too familiar with the thicknesses/viscosity. You can use wd40 or kerosene. I used the wd40.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
It's pretty much like WD40 but I think better at penetrating and such it's more oily than WD40. In comparison WD40 is like water where PB blaster is like oil in liquid form it's great stuff that is what I used to help break loose stuck bolts or nuts and it works greats.