Chambers Build Thread - "Daily Eighty-Seven"

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
love ur car man, thing is super clean and def. well done. You gonna be able to make it to our end of summer meet?

Also do you still have the extended shifter housing for that w58?

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
So I started the R154 swap today. Got the W58 out, clutch, and flywheel off too. And started setting up the R154 with the adapter plate.

W58 out.

img0030va.jpg

This clutch has been through a lot, and still has a lot of life left in it... closing in on 30k mile on it.

img0031ud.jpg

No wonder I heard an exhaust leak...

img0028dd.jpg

The passenger side didnt leak but the gasket was toast too...

img0029cu.jpg

1UZ-FE ready W58 and 7M-GTE ready R154.

img0032eq.jpg

Cleaned up the spare 1UZ bell housing for the R154.

img0033ve.jpg

Just tapped the adapter plate in place.

img0034dq.jpg

I had to grind down a socket to fit in the adapter plate to bolt it down, but I got it mounted.

img0035dn.jpg

More to come tomorrow!

Last edited:

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
taka21;1861343 said:
awesome awesome awesome
happy your making progress

Thanks bud!

4U2QUIK;1861544 said:
sorry about the tight clearance on the bolts, I originally based the c'bore size based off of my oldschool craftsmanthinwall socket. Turns out no one makes em that thin anymore or at least I can't find them, so now I ship the kits with shcs's instead.

No worries man, I got it done and its working good! I appreciate your quick response.

Last edited:

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Ok, so here is an update.

Test fitted the adapter plate, marked the front bearing retainer on the transmission, and cut the bearing slide.

img0037nn.jpg

img0039zf.jpg

Then tapped the roll pin out and swapped in the new -4 adapter.

img0036zo.jpg

Fits perfect now. Also notched out the bell housing for the new lines.

img0040uno.jpg

img0041de.jpg

Mounted the flywheel, clutch disk (7M-GTE), and pressure plate (3S-GTE).

img0042xt.jpg

Mounting the trans was a pain, since the W58 was so small and light I could wrestle it in in just a minute or two. The R154 is such a beast I had to use my small BFH to give a little more room in the trans tunnel. Next time the trans come out (hopefully not for a long while) I'm going to hit some of the high points on the ribs of the bell housing with the dremel. That will make installation much easier.

img0043ize.jpg

The exhaust fit other than the driver side touched the R154 trans cross member. I tapped the pipe and cross member and that worked out nice.

img0047br.jpg

I have about 60 miles on it now, can't wait to break in the clutch so I can dig into it.

img0048kh.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
When I was working on the car last I grabbed the rear CV shafts and they had what appeared to be axial play. I have had a thunk/ clunk in the rear of my car for a while, I figured this must be it. So I ordered a set of reman units, when I actually pulled the old CV shafts they seemed ok out of the car... After a test drive I did notice the thump was much quieter and it seemed like power delivery to the wheels was improved. So there still is a small thump, next is to replace the center carrier bearing.

Original hardware... passenger side CV needed a lot of persuading to be removed.

img0052gm.jpg

Old and new:

img0051cu.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Ya, then we would be set on some crazy UZ engines! By the way, I got the tie rod adapters in, freakin sweet, Thank you! I want to make a bracket for the steering rack to keep it absolutely still before I put them on though. I should be getting my daily driver back from the alignment shop today, so I may have time to mess with that this weekend.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks for the compliments.

So I went to start the Supra last night, It starts and I close the door. Then a mouse runs out from under it, I instanly jump towards it trying to get it. It gets away and under a pile of lumber. Then a few seconds later a second mouse runs out............ I popped the hood and it smelled like mouse piss, damn. So I proceed to do a full under car inspection, I found out my engine mout nuts were loose, the lower oil pan has a small leak, the drivers side valve cover has a small leak, and the transmission is leaking fluid from the shifter tower... Jeeze... I then notice the unused plugs for the auto transmission were laying on the wrapped exhaust, and melted... I managed to get the harness back on a clip on the trans but the damage is done. I aslo sured up the engine mounts, they were stupid loose. Under the hood I see they were starting to make a nest out of insulation from the interior under the brake booster. I then went to the passenger side, removed the glove box and spotted a mouse turd where the engine harness goes in. So I proceed to pull the carpet back to see if they made it furthur. I feel around and I feel liquid, the whole insulation under the carpet is saturated with anti freeze and water, apparently the heater core went bad and was leaking water down on to the floor. There was water all the way back to the rear seat. I decided to pull the interior, I managed to get everything out from the back seats forward last night, then covered up everything untill I get the new heater core in.

img0393as.jpg

img0395oh.jpg

img0397xt.jpg

img0398cle.jpg