Chambers Build Thread - "Daily Eighty-Seven"

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Introduction of the vehicle:

Hi all, my blue Supra took a big hit in the engine so its on hold. I didn't quite have enough funds to fix it, so I found this 87 Supra for less than a engine rebuild. It had some funky ars 18" rims on it:3d_frown:, and they rear ended some kind of truck, but the bumper was untouched, only the nose and related brackets took the hit.

na871.jpg

Its a NA automatic, at first glance It looked real rough. The previous owner used it as a "work truck" and also hauled his white dog around in it. The cars' interior seemed as if the PO never cleaned it. There was dog hair everywhere, and the windows were cloudy from who knows what. It took a few hours and removing the rear seats to get it to a point where it looked decently clean.

na872.jpg

The interior would have been absolutely mint if the PO didn't haul a dog around, the dog destroyed the center console rest, chewed the wiper control, chewed the little coin box lid in the center console, ate the E-Brake boot (only found a couple of shreds of it left), and licked the windows like dogs do.

na873.jpg

na874.jpg

The only other major thing wrong with the exterior is the driver side mirror, but I have a replacement ready to go on.

na875.jpg

Now on to the start of my project:

I got some sawblades on, all I can say is wow!! Those funky rims were like 50 or 60 pounds a piece, ugh, I think I just shaved off two seconds in the quarter mile by upgrading to stock rims, hehehe. I took it for a drive for the first time, it feels like it needs a little steering work, nothing to serious though.

na876.jpg

Put a replacement mirror in:

na877.jpg

While I was under the car I discovered a rubber mallet on top of the tranny, I chose not to remove it for fear of the car falling apart around it, hehe. I did however sanded down a lot and hit it with some high temp paint. It really makes the car look good, there was a lot of surface rust on the oil pan. I also found that the car had decent looking KYB struts.

na878.jpg

na879.jpg

na8710.jpg

na8711.jpg

Took the car for a good cleaning as well, man was it dirty and covered in sap. I really think the PO never washed it. I also hit the entire thing with the Mothers Power Ball, and some cheap polish. The car was repainted but the paint is in pretty decent condition so it looks good from behind, but that's all that really matters anyway, hehehe.

Found this little critter encapsulated in a drop of sap.

na8712.jpg

Also, got rid of that sticker on the windshield.

na8713.jpg

na8714.jpg

Last edited:

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
i saw this on craigslist a while back. Your car makes me miss my old 87 na. A lot of the 87-88 na were white.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
lppro;1282355 said:
the outside looks really nice now and oh god thank you for getting rid of those fugley rims! lol
should be a nice little daily

Thanks, I worked on the exterior for a few hours to get it to a clean point, but it was well worth it, as for the rims, yea, definably!!

akito;1282394 said:
i saw this on craigslist a while back. Your car makes me miss my old 87 na. A lot of the 87-88 na were white.

Ahh, yea, ever since I got my blue one I wanted a white Supra, I love the pre-89 white bodies. I can see why you would miss such a car, I get more compliments in this car than I did with my blue one. Its weird.

Thanks for the responses!

Got a little work done to the front of the car, the turn signals were pushed back and broke one of the mounting tabs on each. I also could not get them out, the metal cross member the nose mounts to was crunched down slightly, so I did some persuasive bending with a rubber mallet and a good set of hands. The nose piece is still to far gone, all the foam that gives it its structure is gone, but the metal piece is now more correct than before. Its starting to look cleaner now. If everything goes right, I should have replacement everything quite soon.

I could even put the TOYOTA emblem and grille back in!

na8715.jpg

na8716.jpg

na8717.jpg

Last edited:

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Hi all, I got some more stuff done.

I got my gauge pod almost finished, laid a primer down and test fitted the A/F gauge. Also used a plug off my spare harness to make the gauge removable, wired it up and tested it, works and fits quite well.

na8718.jpg

na8719.jpg

na8720.jpg

I also changed the 89 steering wheel and the wiper/turn signal combo switches from my 86, but I still have to wire up the 89 cruise control solenoid. When I installed the radio and wiper/turn signal combo switches nothing was working, even the mirrors were not working. So I replaced all the fuses and found about five were blown, never seen so many blown before. After replacing them, everything works quite good.

img1921.jpg

img1922u.jpg

Last edited:

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Hi all, I got some stuff done, finished up and painted the gauge pod.

na8721.jpg

I also fabbed up a mounting bracket for the SAFC, I like where it is a lot. I can still see the voltmeter and it can be removed at any time.

na8722.jpg

na8723.jpg

Last edited:

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Hi all, I finally got around to wiring up the SAFC and installing the new front nose. I also taped off the trim and polished it with Mothers plastic polish and the Mothers PowerBall. It was rough looking before, now they look almost new.

na8724.jpg

na8725.jpg

na8726.jpg

Last edited:

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Friend of mine just got a lift, easyest oil change I ever did. :icon_bigg

img0261m.jpg

Also got around to installing a Pre-89 factory Spoiler, I know, strange huh? I usually wouldn't consider putting a spoiler on but for a couple of ten spots I couldn't pass it up.

img0279qp.jpg

img0281j.jpg

And finally, I got a hold of some prototype clear front markers, fit like a pair of gloves. They should be in production here soon.

img2417.jpg

Thanks.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
I sold those "fugly" rims, and purchased a 1UZ-FE!!! Its missing some parts, but for three hundred bucks, I'm happy. It came with almost complete engine, complete tranny, complete engine harness and ECU.

img0343q.jpg

img0335g.jpg

img0344k.jpg

img0324d.jpg

img0329qu.jpg

15253466.jpg

88t

HATE EM, BUT LOVE THEM
Oct 13, 2008
Juneau, Alaska 99801
looks good! I have a white mk3 also, wish mine looked as good as yours! You might want to put in some amber bulbs for your signal lights though.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Can't believe someone wanted those wheels!
One of the only times that sawblades ever made an improvement! ;)

Car looks good. Keep workin on it. 1UZ Power will be sweet!

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
supra90turbo;1411950 said:
Can't believe someone wanted those wheels!
One of the only times that sawblades ever made an improvement! ;)

Car looks good. Keep workin on it. 1UZ Power will be sweet!

Yea, I was surprised how many e-mails I received after I posted it up on the net. Thanks for the reply.

Stretch;1412177 said:
Wow, this thread just went from regular restore to v8 swap pretty quick! I like it:naughty:
eric

Yea, sure did, but my goal will be to make it as factory as possible, so I'm going to have to do some creative work to get everything to go together, and that means it could turn into a slower project rather quickly, but it will be all good in the end. Thanks.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
viper92086;1412559 said:
1uz thumbs up, is it a sc motor? btw they love being boosted

Thanks, yes, it is a SC motor. Good to hear about boost, I may boost this engine, but that really depends on how long the 7M lasts in the car currently. I have been hearing a knocking at idol, the same knock that my 86 had for its road life until it went beyond the point of return.

Hopefully, I can get the 2JZ-GE NA-T done in my newest addition soon so I can start collecting 1UZ parts, maybe a turbo or two:naughty:.

Thanks for the reply, I will be sure to do the same in your thread.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Well, I went to go run around with some friends, after a 15 min drive I noticed a little bit of white smoke fluffing out of the tail pipe, at first my heart sank, I said to my self oohhh no, BHG.... Took a whif, didn't smell like anti freeze and stopped smoking, so I went on and parked it. After a few hours I started it back up, no smoking. I got 5 mins from home and the idol was breaking up, but wasn't overheating, I made it home and took a look, yep, white smoke pouring out, and some smoke coming from the overflow tank. The idel was breaking up worse and it was "poping," so off the road it is.

This will push my 1UZ-FE swap along quite quickly, so no turbos, but fun none the less! For now my spirits are down, but still high. I'm curious how this will play out, anyone know where I can source 1UZ-FE parts, I know lextreme has a lot of 1UZ guys, but it seems most of them are not in the US, I'm going to raid the local yards for 1UZs. Thanks for reading.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Have been ordering parts for the past few weeks, and just got a few in.

Tokico Blues from ebay... not proud of it, but was a good price.
img25821.jpg

Most of my order from Driftmotion.
img25831.jpg

Clutch Master Cylinder - AISIN Goodness!
img25871.jpg

img25901.jpg

Flywheel Bolts - ARP - AKA BADASS!
img25862.jpg

Driftmotions' own brake lines - Quality is amazing!!!
img25851.jpg

And finally, the best one. A note from driftmotion, I felt all warm and fuzzy when I was informed on where my Eibach springs were.
img25911.jpg

This is where the car is living for a spell, untill I get all the 1UZ parts in. It fits right in, three other Supra in the area.:icon_bigg

img25571.jpg

Thanks for looking.