Chambers Build Thread - "Daily Eighty-Seven"

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Had some time to get a little photo chopping done, Im debating on rims, I found a set of 3 spokes, I like them, but after the photo chop the gray 5 spokes look better in my opinion. What do you all think?

Before:

img2067ye.jpg

And what it could look like after lowering, front lip, fixed hood, and blue moldings:

White 3 Spokes:

white3spokeonmysupra.jpg

Gray 5 Spokes:

gray5spokeonmysupra.jpg

Thanks for looking, 1UZ updates coming soon!!!

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Got some more stuff in, I also picked up a set of ebay-special headers, hopefully they will work with no or little mods.

EGR tube and igniters!

48101143.jpg

Junk yard Supra spared me of hacking up my harness!

48996828.jpg

Got my springs in as well, cant wait!

52589810.jpg

42489836.jpg

And finally the headers, there not that bad off, I was expecting much worse.

Drivers:
36292976.jpg

Pass:
img2655o.jpg

O2 sensor bung:
20355799.jpg

Collector:
39037932.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
HI all, been collecting parts for the 1UZ swap, and finally got the final piece to the puzzle, well at least one of the last pieces. :)

I give you the 1UZ - W58 Steel Flywheel conversion kit:

img2742g.jpg

img2729o.jpg

img2723t.jpg

img2726x.jpg

img2731q.jpg

And finally stack of parts, and there are still another seven or so boxes not pictures.

img2745ly.jpg

Last edited:

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Got a few things done on Friday night, I received my Howe throwout bearing/ slave cylinder from Summit. Also moved the car into the shop before the big snow, had one heck of a time though, walked about 100yards to the car to find out it had a dead battery, then put a new battery in it to find out the terminals are on the wrong side so the cables wouldn't reach, then scabbed a battery from a Honda Civic, the Supra fired right up. Anyway, here are some pics:

Looks like it should work. :)

img2755w.jpg

img2749c.jpg

Out of the cold and into a nice heated shop!

img2761o.jpg

Also unloaded some of the boxes o'tuff for the car, still have a few more to go.

img2759i.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Saturday was a waste, to much snow to drive so didnt get a chance to work on the car, but Sunday was a much better day. Got a decent amount of stuff done, here is some pic action:

Got my 5 speed pedals in and ready to go! I was surprised how "bolt-in" everything was, it was nice!

img2765e.jpg

Removed the center console and removed the shifter assembly:

img2767x.jpg

More interior work, prepped the ECU and engine harness for removal. And then proceeded to remove them: (excuse the ugly blue conduit, got a few rolls for free and no one sees it when its tucked under the dash :).)

img2768n.jpg

7M-GE awaiting the engine crane!

img2774w.jpg

Remember that rubber mallot, the one I was afraid to remove for fear of the whole car falling apart around it? lol, well, its time came, and it looks like it had been there for a while. Enjoy :)

img2776d.jpg

img2779z.jpg

Wait.... Wasn't there a 7M in there?

img2792.jpg

Here it is!

img2784.jpg

img2800n.jpg

img2797k.jpg

Also started removing the rubberized coating on top of the tranny tunnel to prep it for the W58 swap.

img2811e.jpg

Next to do is clean the engine bay up of unnecessary items and start cleaning it of grime and primer over spray.

I plan to run a 5.0 Mustang manual steering rack, so the power steering components will be going, but I plan to keep AC, heater, and cruise control, so my wiring will reflect it. I also will be making "Swap Harness" for the 1UZ, so everything will be "bolt on." With any luck engine mounts will be in my near future!

Thanks for looking!

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Got a few more things done today:

The most expensive set of cardboard boxes I have ever seen, hahaha!

img2829f.jpg

Brought the 1UZ in from the shed:

img2821.jpg

Also got the tranny doner in from the outside, darn tarp ripped and let all the snow in, :3d_frown:.

img2824te.jpg

Tore some stuff down:

img2830t.jpg

img2827a.jpg

img2846ij.jpg

Then hit a "snow drift" the selector for the shifter fork is completly diffrent in the MKIV Supra W58 vs the MKIII W58.

img2835b.jpg

There is a little more to it then just swapping top plats/ shifters, you have to pop the back half of the tranny apart and disconnect the shifter fork, then do some creative sliding of parts to remove/ install the selector. I opted to not do this, I will just have my MKIII W58 rebuilt, then I will have a good spare tranny, or maby one for a future 2JZ NA swap, hmmm.......

img2838o.jpg

More to come shortly when I wake back up!

Thanks for looking!

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
SWD Fredester 3;1475746 said:
Looking good, nice progress. Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

Thanks! You wouldn't happen to know anyone that is into mid 80's Mustangs, that would have a manual steering rack for one? I would hate to buy one new and mess it up from not understanding how it should go in, when I can practice on a used one.

Thanks again!

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Ok, so I didnt just wake up, haha, but hear be n' update!

Ebay 3UZ headders, holes for the top set of studs were bugged, needed to be drilled out and sanded a tad to slide on right.

img2839zi.jpg

img2842h.jpg

Test fit, engine is still on the engine crane. Looks like the headders wont fit on the engine while its being sat down into place. But I will try to fit the headders onto it after the engine is in, they may be able to be slid on and fastened with bolts, instead of studs. We shall see......

img2847o.jpg

img2850l.jpg

img2848.jpg

img2853zk.jpg

img2859f.jpg

img2854v.jpg

img2861.jpg

Popped the headders off to do another test fit, and decided that for this swap, I would just do one off mounts. From the sub-frame up, not exactly bolt in like I planned, but plans change.

img2874w.jpg

img2886l.jpg

img2870m.jpg

So now, I'm cleaning up the sub frame and engine bay. Still debating painting the engine bay with POR-20 high temp, or keeping the cleaned up white engine bay. But here is a pic of a more clean, but still dirty engine bay.

img2879g.jpg

img2876.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Well got A LOT done from my last update. To do a quick summary, painted the engine bay with POR-15, set the engine in, wired it up using my "swap harness" and then did some adjusting to my wiring, and BAM, it started, sorry no first start vids, but what ever, there will be future vids to come! Currently working on the Mustang 5.0 steering rack, and its a nightmare so far. Now for some pic action, a lot of pic action:

Good cleaner from POR:

img2928p.jpg

Cleaned up engine with new NGK plugs and wires, and a mechanical fan conversion, also picked up a set of SC400 exhaust manifolds, they are VERY compact!!!:

img2972w.jpg

img2985s.jpg

img2986c.jpg

img3002b.jpg

img2999n.jpg

Cleaned with the Marine Clean, and then touched up the numbering, little messy but works:

img2971r.jpg

img2991dq.jpg

Almost done engine bay(paint wise):

img2979wp.jpg

img2966k.jpg

img2964.jpg

img2934v.jpg

Cleaned up my MKIII Supra tranny, and put the adapter plate, slave cylinder, and bell housing on:

img2961d.jpg

img2749c.jpg

img2755w.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Mounted engine with my "engine mounts" haha, put flywheel on, then put clutch on(no clutch pics), only had a problem with the heat shield on the driver side rubber mount, a persuasion hammer fixed that :) :

"Engine mounts:"

img2997x.jpg

Painted:

img3003w.jpg

img3005.jpg

img3004a.jpg

Ran the loom through the fire wall, very tight fit, but it does fit:

img3018p.jpg

Fitted the AFM, and fabed up some temporary fuel lines:

img3018p.jpg

img3040i.jpg

Went over the wiring, and talked to milisakeracing, and THANKS by the way!!! Was able to get the starter to crank by running a separate wire:

img3023wv.jpg

Odd angle, but you get the picture (no pun intended):

img3022w.jpg

img3033b.jpg

img3032mw.jpg

img3034n.jpg

Ran the new starter wire down through this fender:

img3025c.jpg

Under here, and ran through a existing hole I had made for my AMP wire, it was treated with black paint before, but now has a coat of POR-15 on it, after that, it ran accrossed discreetly and unoticeably to the correct wire on the jumper harness(no current pic, but its there I sware :)):

img3024ex.jpg

Got a ALT from a local yard for a few bucks, mounted it, and started to make the extension harness for it:

img3028j.jpg

Put one end in a vice, and the other in the chuck of a power drill, and nicely twisted the three wires into a nice loom, then put some black high temp slit conduit on:

img3030z.jpg

img3029n.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Exhaust - fuel lines, EEK, very close, so I picked up some high temp shielding from Summit to protect the fuel lines, just haven't installed it yet, and have since devised a slightly different route for the fuel to run, you can also see the Black Velvet high temp paint from POR-15 on the frame rail and sub frame:

img3008.jpg

img3009a.jpg

img3010w.jpg

img3011x.jpg

img3007h.jpg

1UZ'ed, POR-15'ed, and installed my 5 speed plate for the rubber boot, welded in and sealed with some nice silicone:

img3036d.jpg

Some misc pics:

img2983b.jpg

img2978.jpg

img2919q.jpg

img2902t.jpg

img2911q.jpg

img2992br.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
milisakeracing;1491660 said:
Making great progress! Did you get the wires run for the starter like we talked about or did you go a different route? Get the injectors wired up yet?

Ya Thanks! Got the engine to crank from running a new wire just like we discussed! I ended up "re-doing" my wiring to just focus on getting it to run, I will be trying to get everything to work like factory soon! But, yea, it cranked for a few seconds, and BAM, it started, and it ROARED!!! hahaha!! I loved it! :icon_bigg

1987mk3;1491664 said:
everything looking good so far...keep up the good work

Thanks! I will!

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
One word: Dayum.

Make sure you bring it to the May 2010 meet down here in Hampton Roads! Should only be a couple of hours to drive, especially if you take the Eastern Shore and cross the Bay Bridge. I would love to see this thing running in person!

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
lol Well it wouldn't exactly be 'driving down' for me since I already live down here :sarcasm:

But yes, you could should attend. It's going to be a great time! And it's hard enough as is to get us local guys together, so hanging out with other Supra owners is always a treat.