Chambers Build Thread - "Daily Eighty-Seven"

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
S.A. supra;1492710 said:
Looking good. One question who works in the O.R. are those surgical towels your using?

Yea, they would be surgical towels, but they actually came out of a dumpster, another friend of mine pules out thousands of bran-new stuff, still in the wrappers out of that particular dumpster, you wouldn't believe how much stuff gets thrown away there!!

Nghty89;1492750 said:
One word: Dayum.

Make sure you bring it to the May 2010 meet down here in Hampton Roads! Should only be a couple of hours to drive, especially if you take the Eastern Shore and cross the Bay Bridge. I would love to see this thing running in person!

Thanks! I plan to take it to a couple of "local" meets! :)

SWD Fredester 3;1492889 said:
Really nice progress! Again, let me know if you need a hand.
Good suggestion about the meet in May, let me know if you want to meet up and drive down.

Thanks, I will let you know if I need any extra help! As for the meet, I think it would be cool to meet up and head down! By the way, hows the car coming? Did the shop finish your engine the way you wanted?

Nghty89;1492902 said:
lol Well it wouldn't exactly be 'driving down' for me since I already live down here :sarcasm:

But yes, you could should attend. It's going to be a great time! And it's hard enough as is to get us local guys together, so hanging out with other Supra owners is always a treat.

Yea, I have tried to rally up any local (for me) Supra owners, but most of them don't have much interest in meets, but that's there choice.

RedPhoenix;1493104 said:
Looking GREAT! Hit me up on AIM when you can.

Thanks! I will be sure to!

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
S.A. supra;1493660 said:
Oh yeah they work great guess how I know:naughty:

Ohh, digging through dumpsters to, ehh? haha!

As a slight update, I should be getting some stuff from Summit today in the mail, I picked up a steering u-joint for the steering rack, two glass packs, and some exhaust wrap & ties. Should be interesting!

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Been another long awaited update, quick summary. Got the Mustang 5.0 manual steering rack in and got tie rods connected. Its not quite how I envisioned it, but I'm happy with it. I also got the tranny and drive shaft in, then had a buddy make me some down pipes, and then the whole exhaust system. Put the radiator in and tried to mock up rad lines and the mech fan, didn't work out flawlessly. Had a idle surge problem, turned out to be a non-functioning ISC. So far I have driven the car a few hundred miles in the past week, got it running on Sunday February 28th, and have been very happy since! :icon_bigg Still have some kinks to work out, but its going pretty good right now. But now for some pics:

Put the tranny in, but I POR-15 the tranny tunnel back to the diff before hand:

img3327b.jpg

img3328r.jpg

Just about to button up the shifter and boots:

img3344a.jpg

Connected the clutch line, and bled the system:

img3343.jpg

Needed to buy a U-Joint for the steering system to tie into the Mustang rack:

img3318c.jpg

Installed:

img3322r.jpg

img3324u.jpg

Here you can see the whole set up:

img3331.jpg

Installed a Supra oil pressure sending unit, had a time installing it. The 1UZ sending unit just snapped right off, so I had to drill out the broken side out and re-tap the hole.

img3014q.jpg

Mounted (before I put a new Wix oil filter on)

img3016h.jpg

Put some heat sleeving on the fuel lines and the speedo cable.

img3330b.jpg

img3329m.jpg

Started on exhaust stuff:

Glass Packs:

img3320fn.jpg

img3321w.jpg

Headder wrap:

img3319r.jpg

Turns out the glass packs I picked up were to long to fit anywhere logical under the car, and with time constraints we had to just make straight pipes and put the packs on the back:

After welding was complete, and just after black high temp paint:

img3610c.jpg

img3611z.jpg

Got a good deal of the interior together:

img3608o.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Re-installed the AC lines on the passenger side of the engine bay, they fit just fine:

img3575k.jpg

img3573.jpg

Finished my alternator extension harness:

img3581f.jpg

Prepping for radiator, fan, and rad lines:

1UZ-FE fan on the left, and 7M-GE fan on the right, both have the same bolt pattern:

img3571s.jpg

img3572.jpg

img3576u.jpg

Almost works, I think if I trimmed the upper rad hose on the other side the fan may have cleared it:

img3584p.jpg

img3585d.jpg

img3589er.jpg

Other rad line is factory SC, up-side down with both ends trimmed:

img3588n.jpg

Then hooked up the heater lines, sorry no pics yet, did a once over and took it for a test drive. the Mustang rack is a joy to drive with, and the steering felt solid. The engine needs to be ran, and possibly tweaked to get back up to 100%, but it feels so good to have torque at my disposal!! :icon_razz:icon_bigg Had some problems at first, had a idle surge see video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNv-eKfnVcM

After doing a simple test, by pinching the supply line to the ISC, it was determined that the valve was stuck wide open not allowing the idle to return to normal. So off to the junk yard, picked up a couple and the first on just looked a whole lot better off than the one on my engine. Popped it back together, and wow, what a difference, idle was good. :) Made my day. I also installed a air filter, wasn't planning on not running one.

Took it out, FINALLY!!! Cant wait to finish it up:

img3612da.jpg

I should have some more pics/vids coming soon, thanks for looking!

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Very good! I can't wait to see it, if you bring it to the May meet. It'll be great inspiration to ForceFedSupra, I believe he was looking to do this.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Nghty89;1526041 said:
Very good! I can't wait to see it, if you bring it to the May meet. It'll be great inspiration to ForceFedSupra, I believe he was looking to do this.

Yea, I will try to get down there, hopefully it will be in a more complete stage by then. From the short time I met ForceFedSupra, if he does the same swap, I bet there will be a turbo or two. :)

RedPhoenix;1525818 said:
totally stoked!

Sure are! haha, cant wait to see your engine bay painted aw perdy too!

milisakeracing;1525581 said:
Excellent update! Looking forward to some videos of it on the road and not just idling ;)

Ohh sure, haha, there will be plenty of vids of it running, just got to get a good free weekend and a open parking lot, :naughty:.

RazoE;1525496 said:
holy shit, admirable build!!

I'll be watching this very closely..

Thank you!

Thanks again for all your replies, its good to hear people are liking it! The local population seems to like it too, I see a bunch of people giving the car hard looks as they hear a rumble of a V8 coming from a Supra, haha, I LOVE IT!!!! :icon_razz

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Got another update and some videos:

Finnaly I have a box in my center console!! May not mean much to many, but I have never had one that didn't have the door ripped off.

img3631q.jpg

Now for some vids, went into town today and had my camera, so I figured I would try to get some footage of it driving. It was raining so I didn't really get into it too much but it was fun!

[video=youtube;6RmQa2_vSHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RmQa2_vSHU[/video]

[video=youtube;klKWauN65ak]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klKWauN65ak[/video]

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Had some time to put some stuff on the car.

img3624e.jpg

img3627z.jpg

Also went over the "swap harness" in the engine bay, originally I had planned to wire it correctly, but when I had problems getting it to start I reverted back to the "common" way. I have corrected it today, now the ECU controls/ is controlled by the EFI fuse and relay. There are a couple of other kinks in my engine as of now, so its hard to tell if it effected anything negatively/positively, but time will sure tell.

This is what I had before, made it run but wasn't "correct".

Plugs from bottom to top right (two are from a SC300, and only one wire had a different color):
1UZ Black - EB1, 1UZ Black - EB2, MA70 Yellow - C-1.

Connections from bottom to top:
1UZ EB-1 - Black-Orange and Black-Yellow (runs between ECU and the EFI relay) connects to MA70 C-1 - White (the white wire supplies power to the HAZ Horn),
1UZ EB-2 - White (SC300) or Black Orange (SC400, supplies power to Ignition system) connects to MA70 C-1 Black-Yellow and Black-Orange
1UZ EB-2 - Black-Red connects to MA70 C-1 Black-Red (supplies power to ECU and many other components)

img3637.jpg

I don't have any good pics of the "corrected" wiring, mainly because I soldered two incorrect wires together, haha. After fixing that I then continued to wrap the harness up and the camera slipped my mind, but here is the "correction":

1UZ EB-1 - Black-Yellow and 1UZ EB-2 Black-Orange(White) connects to MA70 C-1 - Black-Yellow
1UZ EB-1 - Black-Orange connects to MA70 C-1 - Black-Orange
1UZ EB-2 - Black-Red connects to MA70 C-1 - Black-Red (remained untouched)

Aside from the odd Black-Orange(white) wire, it was simply matching colors.

Here is a shot of the harness loomed up again:

img3645p.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Had some free time this afternoon, found some empty black top and wanted to get a feel for the 1UZ, still getting used to the extra torque and power over the 7M, also getting used to the steering rack. It was fun, and I think I need a LSD bad, haha, good thing I have one waiting to go in. Since I don't wromp on it like this very much I thought I would share, not much of a drifter though, just like to drive, but enjoy!

[video=youtube;_fP3p0l2dso]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fP3p0l2dso[/video]

[video=youtube;I0Qrlsn-9cU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Qrlsn-9cU[/video]

[video=youtube;Z5LZlRIEZfg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5LZlRIEZfg[/video]

[video=youtube;QzbozYLv4kc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzbozYLv4kc[/video]

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Well this past Monday I left work and the engine just died. It was a good thing I was on a side road and not on the main drag, I at least had a little le-way when it came to passing cars, after doing some tests I came to conclusion that the fuel pump was the culprit. So on Wednesday night I pulled the tank, and of course it didn't go as planned. Other than that I have ordered a few goodies, a few have yet to arrive but they will shortly.

This is right after a shot of WD-40, before that it looked like they never have been touched since new.

img3659b.jpg

Got the bezel out with no probs:

img3657h.jpg

"Fun" part A, only managed to massage two of the four bolts holding the tank shield out, the other two just snapped upon torquing:

img3661.jpg

And "Fun" part B (The worst of the two) the supply line kinked when the tank was dropped, I didn't even notice it until it was to late. So I have to try to save this one.

img3678t.jpg

But on a up note I got a few cool things in the mail:

A new front-end cover for the Pre-89 Supra, for those long trips to Supra meets and vacations:

img3679f.jpg

img3680k.jpg

Bunch of cool OEM looking connectors, some actually should work with factory Supra connectors:

img3682.jpg

Look familiar?

img3684w.jpg

How bout this one?

img3685l.jpg

Also got some of the stuff to make rear O2 Sensor simulators, so the check engine light will go away.... until something else goes wrong, :).

img3681t.jpg

More to come shortly like a Walbro and a heck of a good time putting the tank back up! :) Thanks for looking!

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Looking very good! I'm excited to see this thing running, and apparently running well! Probably the most interesting thing is the sound... my brain keeps getting confused. I hear a V8... but see the 7m chassis. LOL

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks! I love the sound at lower rpms, I will need a muffler or two to make the higher rpms sound better, but for now I'm just enjoying it while I have it.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Well, after a weekend of fiddling around with fuel systems, and not getting my fuel pump/ filter in the mail, I got my car back up and running. Turns out the fuel pump was not at fault, I had a electrical gremlin in my swap harness in the dash that caused some weird side effects that just then made the engine not run, swapped some wires around and bam, the fuel pump kicked on and the engine started as usual, so I have a idea where the oddity is, but I don't exactly know the cause.

But after all this, I got pretty acquainted with the crusty underside of the Supra's rear. Had a heck of a time pulling the tank and putting it back in a few times, but I guess I'm better for the experience. I also found key clues to the year of my 1UZ harness, ends up I have a EWD from a 94 and the engine is a late 95/ early 96, witch doesn't mean much, but there are slight differences.

No pictures for this update, but surly there will be to come! Thanks for looking.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Well a small update a day late is turning into a big one, went out to go over a friends house and noticed my clutch feeling a little different, so I let it out and it came back so I figured it was fine. After letting the engine warm up I pressed the clutch in and it had no resistance, and it didnt return, took a look under the car and what do you know, a puddle of brake fluid under the tranny, seem the slave cylinder (witch is internal now) blew a line or blew it self. Now for a couple of pics:

Empty master cylinder:

img3694n.jpg

Drip from the tranny (dont mind the huge spot, I need a new camera)

img3697qi.jpg

Puddle of fluid :(

img3696b.jpg

So here she sits now untill the trailer get here:

img3699.jpg

Thanks for looking!