Carbon fiber feeler

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Throughout the years of observation in the MK3 community...

- What will sell are mostly small items.
- Let's not kid ourselves with the FFIM and wide body

What I predict will sell well?
- Jz spark plug covers
- A high quality intercooler plate like the discontinued CFX style.
- targa has always been demanded. A company in San Diego claims to make it, but has no product to allow anyone to test fit.

When selecting carbon fiber parts, it is important that the parts give either practical weight savings or high visual appeal/impact. Even better if the parts provide both advantages.

Let's take door sills as an example. Practical weight savings? No. High visual appeal/impact? No (The doors are closed 99% of the time. :dunno:)

Let's take door panels for example. Practical weight savings? Not really. High visual appeal/impact? :bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

I'd be first in line, with a quickness. (The pictured part is of a MKIV)
p1681682_1.jpg

Last edited:

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
How about a carbon dash cap overlay to hide the top of the dash (and the cracks).....but with a matte non-reflective finish?

cwd

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
spinningheadboy;1681699 said:
How about a carbon dash cap overlay to hide the top of the dash (and the cracks).....but with a matte non-reflective finish?

cwd

Not a bad idea. Dry carbon is non reflective.

Last edited:

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
A lot of the parts I'd like are some of the overlooked parts. The metal piece about the hatch windshield (with squirter delete) would be great as I've seen quite a few starting to peel and flake and the pump fuel lid on the tank (saw this on a honda) would be great as some tend to somehow rust.

Though already available, I think the CF lower windshield cowl is one of the absolute best products as it eliminates a "rust-worry, peel and flake" part of these cars.

Surprised this haven't been mentioned, but I think a lot of people would be interested in a CF interior roof panel...

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
I'd love a CF targa. there is a company that makes them, and a member here bought one, but had serious issues with communication and hardware on the part.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
spinningheadboy;1681699 said:
Empera is going to be selling dash mats soon, and can make them out of a CF-resmbling vinyl. I used the stuff for my shift boot and e-brake boot, and was the one to commission the dash mat, so it'll be of the same material.

Supra28;1681763 said:
A lot of the parts I'd like are some of the overlooked parts. The metal piece about the hatch windshield (with squirter delete) would be great as I've seen quite a few starting to peel and flake and the pump fuel lid on the tank (saw this on a honda) would be great as some tend to somehow rust.

Though already available, I think the CF lower windshield cowl is one of the absolute best products as it eliminates a "rust-worry, peel and flake" part of these cars.

Surprised this haven't been mentioned, but I think a lot of people would be interested in a CF interior roof panel...

I would love some window trim, considering how much the price is from the dealer, IF you can still get it in your area... I like the idea of the cowl panel too, but doesn't Retro-Spec already sell that piece?

Oh, and SupraofDoom had a CF targa panel, both the roof panel itself, and the matching interior panel. Almost picked it up. But I digress, a nice, well made (hardware built in, just like stock) would be something that I could see selling. I won't be driving a targa much longer myself, but if I were, I would consider one.

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
White Zombie;1681893 said:
I want a carbon fiber 7M engine block ! That would reduce lots of weight and have some visual appeal ! Lol

Would look great on an engine stand......
But would probably still leak at the head surface.
What the heck, I just discribed 85% of the builds I see here :aigo:

CF FFIM, seen one on a European race Supra, and 90% of performance BMWs over there.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
rodel;1681703 said:
Not a bad idea. Dry carbon is non reflective.

x100.. I've been trying to figure out a way to cover the dash without having to remove it.. a CF overlay would be awesome.

EDIT:

te72;1681862 said:
Empera is going to be selling dash mats soon, and can make them out of a CF-resmbling vinyl. I used the stuff for my shift boot and e-brake boot, and was the one to commission the dash mat, so it'll be of the same material.

YES.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
te72;1681862 said:
I would love some window trim, considering how much the price is from the dealer, IF you can still get it in your area... I like the idea of the cowl panel too, but doesn't Retro-Spec already sell that piece?

I've been following Retro-Spec's CF thread and didn't see any mentioning of a CF cowl, unless I've overlooked. I know Raptor Racing used to make the lower windshield cowl in CF, but ended that production I assume. It's no biggie as they can be sourced on ebay.

The piece I REALLY want in CF (hell, plastic would even do) is the one above the rear hatch windshield. Pretty much all metal window trim in CF would be great.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Yea, I think window trim all round, even if it was secured with a epoxy type glue would be a big improvment for some of our cars. The upper hatch peice on my 87 is starting to crack and peal so I vote that one first :).

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Cz.;1682242 said:
Stout Hood

He's already making some hoods for our cars, I would PM him on having a replica Stout made...

So far I'm seeing a decent agreement that some replacement trim would be pretty kick ass. Is it feasible to make, and will it do the job (sealing the windows, keeping leaks out) that the stock trim is *supposed* to do? Those are the questions that we would have to ask.