Boss Jr. 57 Trim Sleeper

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
All CD/tape from 89+ were externally amplified. There is a short multi-pin interconnect from tape player to the lower cd player. There is a longer multi-pin from tape to under seat amp. There is an extender cable from the factory stereo connectors in the center console to the amp under the seat as well. I have this deck sitting in my garage. The cd transport failed and I could not find any aftermarket support for it. I was able to keep the tape player and radio working by replacing dried out caps and belts, but the transport was not repairable. So, I replaced it with an externally amplified cd/tape player (16815) from a 2002 tundra. It looks stock, same kind of buttons and same green lcd screen. Pretty much any Toyota HU up to 2002 will fit in the Supra. Had to finangle the multi-pin from the head to the amp. The signals are the same over the years, but the connector varies. I have my notes if you are interested.

You can find pictures here:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...placement-with-a-Toyota-Stock-Head-Unit-Radio

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Looking through your pictures I noticed that you were able to attach the stock heat shield to the Boss Jr. My Boss Jr. does not have the lugs to mount the shield. Was that something you added to the exhaust housing?

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
Thank you very much for the information 3p141592654. The TSRM is unusually vague about those details. Do you know what the part number is, both face plate and top sticker, for the correct 89-92 head unit? I believe the correct amplifier is either a 86280-14240 or 86280-14241, but am not sure what the difference is between those two units. It looks like all the connectors are "standard," so if I had to I could build the harnesses. My first try will be to see if I can source the correct 89-92 head unit, harness, amp, etc. first.

I've been staring at a 16815 in my '04 Tacoma for the last 11 years so, at least to me, it would look very incorrect in my Supra ;) . Of course, I understand why most would say it looks close enough to stock.

If I can't source the 89-92 head unit I will probably try and see if I can make the 16804 I have now work better with either another OEM (i.e MKIV) or aftermarket amp mounted under the seat vice in the trunk.

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
3p141592654;2049220 said:
Looking through your pictures I noticed that you were able to attach the stock heat shield to the Boss Jr. My Boss Jr. does not have the lugs to mount the shield. Was that something you added to the exhaust housing?

It has been so long I had to remember what I did, and was able to find the photo below. Basically, the heat shield is held on by the fastener in the elbow and the top turbo stay, which is only attached to the heat shield, not the turbo. So, the heat shield is only mounted on two points instead of the three it should be on, but it is still quite rigid and much better than having no heat shield at all. I now remember being ticked because they had specifically stated that all OEM heat shields could be retained, and it took a little work to make that happen.

p2049227_1.jpg

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
3p141592654;2049230 said:
Were you able to do anything with the bottom brace?

Nope, I had to omit the bottom brace. I was never really sure about the turbo selection for this build. I went back and forth between the Boss Jr. and the Greddy TD06 kit. I sort of wish I had gone with the Greddy kit, but I also know that would have come with its own host of issues too.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Referring to your post #40, the bottom CD player is an 8/12 14201 (86270-14051). I suspect the 8/12 means it plays both 8 and 12 cm disks.

The tape/radio unit is an 11701 (86120-14771).

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I have the brace that mounts to the underside of the center section of the exhaust manifold. You are not referring to that one are you?

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
No, I have the one that mounts to the exhaust manifold installed. The lower one called "Turbocharger Stay" and the upper one called "No. 2 Turbocharger Stay" in the TSRM cannot be installed because there are no mounting bosses on the turbine housing of the Boss Jr. turbo for them.

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
I finished up all the stereo work today. I ripped out all the aftermarket equipment mentioned above and am still using a 16804 externally amplified CD head unit. The one I have is date coded 1994, and has a 15 pin connector. I also have a 16801 CD head unit, date coded 1990, which looks identical but has a 14 pin connector. The newer 16804 unit was in better cosmetic condition so I used that one. As has been mentioned here, all the signals do indeed seem to be the same between models, just the pinout is different. Interestingly, the Metra 15 pin connector I used did not have the connector/wire for the low potential illumination (IL-) signal populated, but fortunately there was a spare wire I could use for that.

I cleaned all the pots in the head unit. I replaced all (~60) electrolytic capacitors in the under seat amplifier. Everything needed to run the wire harness between the head unit and amp and mount it was present in my 89, including all the notches in the correct locations in the carpet, so no one would ever guess it was not factory. All I had to do was drill a hole for the mounting screw, but a dimple was already present to mark the correct location.

Sound quality is actually better than I was expecting. All of my whine and noise issues are gone. It's far from perfection, but more than good enough for what I want for this car these days, and I probably shed 40 lbs.

p2051470_1.jpg

p2051470_2.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
Wow nice work. I have the same head unit/amp in my '92 and am very pleased with the sound. Say, you wouldn't by chance want to take a look at mine, see why it won't eject CD's? (I'd pay you)

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
MK3pizzadriver;2051488 said:
Say, you wouldn't by chance want to take a look at mine, see why it won't eject CD's? (I'd pay you)

Sorry, unfortunately these days I have far more projects than time available. The other reason is the problem is likely dried up rubber parts, of which I would have to do some searching to find replacments. Your best bet may be to find the newer 15 pin unit like I used from a MKIV since they will have less age, can usually be had relatively cheap, and look identical. However, you would need to make a 14 pin to 15 pin adapter harness or splice the 15 pin connector onto your amp harness.