Boss Jr. 57 Trim Sleeper

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
aljordan;1382632 said:
Jesse does good work.

I better considering the amount of time I've spent working on these freaking cars ;)

Alan put the 57 trim turbo idea in my head, and I'm thankful for that.

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
So you have the full greddy mk3 intercooler kit just using a HKS 3000 pipe? Any mods to the greddy kit to make the HKS pipe work? Also what size pipe does the greddy use?

Thanks
BJ

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
BJ91T;1401956 said:
So you have the full greddy mk3 intercooler kit just using a HKS 3000 pipe? Any mods to the greddy kit to make the HKS pipe work? Also what size pipe does the greddy use?

Thanks
BJ

Correct. I prefer the layout, design and size of the Greddy kit over the HKS kit. The Greddy pipe (and intercooler inlet/outlet) is 60mm. The HKS 3000 pipe is 70mm OD, so I just needed a 60mm to 70mm expansion coupling. Those are about impossible to find, but luckily 2-3/8" to 2-3/4" units are available. No other modifications were required.

The only thing about the Greddy intercooler kit is the bracket they give you to relocate the coolant reservoir is really lame. I ended up modifying a spare OEM bracket to move the reservoir up 1" or so, and it looks stock.

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
Cool Looks like I might try to pickup myself a greddy kit after looking at your engine bay shots, car looks amazing by the way. Thank you for the advice and keep up the great work.

BJ

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
Oh almost forgot do you happen to have a picture of the intercooler with the front bumper on? (kinda looking through the lower grille) just wanted to see how big it looks in the car from the front, lol Thanks

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
BJ91T;1402324 said:
Oh almost forgot do you happen to have a picture of the intercooler with the front bumper on? (kinda looking through the lower grille) just wanted to see how big it looks in the car from the front, lol Thanks

Not really a good picture, but one I had on hand. 99.99% of the population would never notice it.

Attachments

• DSC_0048_s.JPG
    DSC_0048_s.JPG
    518.5 KB · Views: 75

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
Awesome set-up, just awesome!!! I am going to start my build-up soon and like the decisions you have made also.

I have a JDM Trust Intercooler kit for the "old school" effect.

Tell me more about the HKS inlet install. I understand the expansion coupling but what other items had to be modded to hook up to this pipe vs the stock 3000 pipe?

Very interested in seeing the dyno sheet for this black angel as well.

Subscribed!!!

C-flo

Perseverance
Dec 3, 2008
Texas
Very Awesome build. Where do you shop for your performance parts at if you don't mind me asking? I'm fixin to really get deep into my build soon and would like some resources.

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
I think there's parts on the car from just about every single vendor out there. On some items, like the intercooler kit, there were big differences in prices; that item came from Titan. The turbo and exhaust all came from Suprasport, and they were excellent to work with. Other parts have come from HPF and MVP.

There's nothing special required for the HKS 3000 pipe. The OEM coupling to the throttle body can be used. You must remove the OEM bracket that attaches the 3000 pipe to the valve cover due to the increased diameter of the HKS 3000 pipe. So, the only thing that positions the HKS 3000 pipe is the PCV hardpipe and the ISC hoses on the front. With those items connected, it's fine. You'll see that on cars that have eliminated those OEM parts, the HKS 3000 pipe never is aligned quite perfectly and that's why.

Having had a big T4 turbo setup before, there certainly is something to be said for the intense power hit; it would scare the crap out of people. That said, the more I drive this car, the more I love it much more than the old setup. The power is much more usable and controllable, and it's still extremely fast.

If anyone knows where I can pickup a new HKS Super AFR I'm interested... The one I have seems to have an intermittent power dropout that had me chasing my tail for a little while. I need one before I head to the dyno, so that might not be until next year. I'm not running any piggyback right now and above 5,000 RPM I'm going down to ~10.5:1 and therefore hitting fuel cut around 0.8 bar (because I'm so rich), so there's a decent amount of power left on the table.

Stereo install should be done in another week or two - ultra stealth and designed for serious SQ....

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
C-flo;1404706 said:
So do you order a lot of the stuff over the net, or is it mostly in store bought?

Everything over the net. I don't drive to the store for anything these days unless I absolutely need it that day, it's not worth my time and the cost of gas. Of course, I also live in the middle of nowhere.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
turbotoy;1404701 said:
I
Having had a big T4 turbo setup before, there certainly is something to be said for the intense power hit; it would scare the crap out of people. That said, the more I drive this car, the more I love it much more than the old setup. The power is much more usable and controllable, and it's still extremely fast...

That is good to know. I know it is better than a CT26 by far, but I am glad to see a first hand account. I just bought by 57 jr from SupraSport. I want it streetable, and about 350-375 rwhp. Not 500, and scaring people or hard to control when it hits that hard.

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
Any progress turbotoy? Ho about the stealth stereo install you mentioned? We're all hungry to see what's next.
Maybe you are too busy playing with that Lambo?????

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
bhmsupra;1574767 said:
Any progress turbotoy? Ho about the stealth stereo install you mentioned? We're all hungry to see what's next.
Maybe you are too busy playing with that Lambo?????

Eh, too busy with grad school.

I finished the stereo over the winter, but ran into issues. I'm using a 93-94 ish MKIV head unit coupled to an Arc audio 4 channel mini amp. In the doors are Dynaudio 6.5" mids with Morel tweeters in custom fiberglass enclosures (all stealth) running through custom made passive XOs. Have an Alumapro Alchemy 10" sub in the hatch. However, the signal from the HU is proving very weak, and consequently I'm running into all sorts of noise issues I haven't been able to overcome yet. I really want to stick with a near correct period Toyota HU that fits and looks correct. I may just rip it all out, and go back to 100% original. The original deck was a cassette only unit, and is dead. I've been looking forever for an 89-90 CD HU (with built in amp) but they seem to be beyond rare. I'll probably just try to find a clean cassette only unit and run with that.

I've put a couple hundred miles on the car this year, and it is downright awesome. I'm running with nothing but the original Lexus AFM screw all the way in and hitting reasonable AFRs across the board. Running rich way up top, but that's fine, I really don't care. It pulls hard from 3000-6000, and that's fine. I'm seeing 85% injector DC with AFRs in the 11.5:1 range, so there's minimal margin left in the fuel system anyway. I also know from running the SP-63 and VPC setup before that I have minimal margin left before I can not supply sufficient fuel pressure. These two facts alone suggest that running a larger turbo using 550s/MKIV pump/stock fuel lines is likely not justified and will get you nothing but more lag and possibly a slightly greater peak HP number that means little on the road.

The biggest thing I wanted to report on was the suspension.... I've driven MKIIIs with the following setups (all on the same Racing Hart 17" wheels/rubber):

- stock springs/struts in poor condition
- Tokico springs/TEMS shocks, S/T sway bars
- Tein RA coilovers, S/T sway bars, nylon suspension bushings
- current car - 100% original (non-TEMS) and in excellent condition

Let me tell you, for rough upstate NY roads, the original suspension setup in good working order is BY FAR superior to anything else. Trust me on this. Yep, there is more body roll and it looks like it needs to be lowered visually, but it stays hooked up FAR better than any of the other setups. On a couple of the roads I play on frequently there are corners I can take dramatically faster than I could with the Tein RAs. On a road course I'm sure the Tein RAs would have shown their stuff, but the roads here are just too rough and on numerous occasions I would face rear-end step out due to bumps on corners. Eventually you realize that 99.99% of the time a MKIII spends is NOT on a road course.

My guess is that very few current MKIII owners have ever driven the car with good condition OEM suspension components.

Just my $0.02 after a lot of money and time spent.

Last edited:

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
I have an extremely mint 91 cassette unit from my MA70, if you are interested PM me. I put a amped CD out of a 91 MA70 so I got lucky I guess.

Agreed on the stock suspension. Looks bad but it was wayyyy a better ride. I have my old stock set-up still also.

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
Well, my car now shows 62,685 miles on the odometer. I spend far more time cleaning it than driving it, but oh well. There are two things that have been bugging me that I'm finally getting around to working on.

1) Replace the Lexus AFM with a HKS VPC. After having tried everything, I'm giving up on the Lexus AFM setup. No matter what I have tried I get random stalling after decel and poor idle control relative to stock. These issues were non-existent when running the VPC with 550cc/min ROM with this engine previously, which I still have, so that is what I'm going back to. I would really like to get my hands on a HKS AFM delete pipe for cosmetic reasons, and added a post in the WTB section looking for one. The HKS injection pulse monitor in the glove box will get replaced by the VPC.

2) Rip out the aftermarket stereo described above that uses a 16804 head unit from a MKIV Supra and go back to the correct OEM CD Player. I was never able to solve the noise issues in my current setup, although I know some of them are from the amp sitting over the fuel pump. However, I'm not feeling the need for a subwoofer anymore (getting old) and would rather have the trunk look 100% original anyway.

Question - I snapped this picture out of my 1989 Supra brochure. Does anyone know for sure a) what the model number(s) of this unit is/are and b) if it is internally amplified or not?

p2049201_1.jpg

My 1989 TSRM is very unclear regarding if the CD player is internally amplified or not. There are two units (boxes) shown, but it is unclear whether those boxes represent the two single DIN units (radio/tape player and CD player) or the double DIN unit as a whole and the remote mounted amplified under the seat. I've been looking all over and have not been able to nail down the answer to this question, but I'm starting to suspect that all 89-92 CD players were externally amplified. If that is the case, anyone have a cosmetically clean 89-92 CD head unit, amplifier, brackets, wiring harness, etc. that they want to sell? As long as it is cosmetically clean and the CD transport works I can deal with electrical issues, especially in the amplifier.