Boss Jr. 57 Trim Sleeper

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
Well, this isn't much of a build thread, I've been too busy putting the car together to keep posting pictures along the way ;)

There's a picture of my old setup, which was a SP-63 on a Trust header on my 87.

I just picked up the black 89. When I picked it up it was 100% original (including paint) minus the tires and oil. 61k on the odometer. The built longblock was swapped out of the 87 into the 89, as it only had ~3,000 miles on it.

My goal with this car was to only modify things that needed to be modified and to try to keep the car as refined as possible. I think I succeeded. All the emissions systems are still in place. The car is quiet, has a RT cat so there's no smell and it has a very streetable powerband. I was even able to place the BOV such that I could use the OEM hose to the accordion hose. Everything on the car works perfectly. With the glove box closed it looks stock on the inside.

The major modifications are:

- Block with JE pistons, stock rods polished/vibratory stress relieved, balanced, etc..
- Greddy 1.5mm HG (results in 8.5:1 CR)
- Ported head
- Boss Jr. 57 Trim turbo/elbow
- RT downpipe and 3" cat
- HKS sport exhaust
- Greddy intercooler kit
- Lexus AFM/550s/AFPR/MKIV fuel pump
- HKS S-AFR/EVC-IV/IPM/FP gauge/Boost gauge/SSQV
- FJO WB

And lots more...

I have a set of Tein RAs, Tein EDFC, S/T sway bars, and nylon bushings in the 87. I haven't decided what I'm going to do suspension wise. Honestly, for the rough roads we have around here, the stock setup has it's advantages at times. I'm thinking I'm going to get rid of the Tein RAs and buy a set of Tein Flexs. Probably going for some sort of big brake kit in the near future too.

I just drove it on the road for the first time yesterday at 0.8 bar, and am quite rich so I have some tuning to do. Off idle throttle response is drastically improved over the VPC setup. That said, it spools very quickly and pulls quite hard. I'll have dyno numbers soon.

Attachments

• DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC_0051_s.JPG
    DSC_0051_s.JPG
    928.8 KB · Views: 599
  • DSC_0053_s.JPG
    DSC_0053_s.JPG
    773.1 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_0045_s.JPG
    DSC_0045_s.JPG
    548.6 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC_0055_s.JPG
    DSC_0055_s.JPG
    629.5 KB · Views: 1,335
Last edited:

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
More pictures...

Attachments

• DSC_0056_s.JPG
    DSC_0056_s.JPG
    659.5 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0058_s.JPG
    DSC_0058_s.JPG
    646.7 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC_0037_s.JPG
    DSC_0037_s.JPG
    430.3 KB · Views: 303

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Great execution! I really like your glovebox shot, and the way you did that. I've been considering an arrangement that allows the DOOR to open, but have all the electronics statically mounted behind the door. Still thinking, but YOUR approach is an interesting option.

Be sure to post that dyno sheet. I'm curious what your setup will show with the Jr.

-crisp

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
crisp;1381802 said:
Great execution! I really like your glovebox shot, and the way you did that. I've been considering an arrangement that allows the DOOR to open, but have all the electronics statically mounted behind the door. Still thinking, but YOUR approach is an interesting option.

-crisp

I thought about doing the same. I think you'll find that you will have a very difficult time getting adequate visibility of the gauges with your proposed arrangement. I did anyway :)

I can actually see the gauges well enough from the drivers seat with the glove box open. In some ways it's better than the pillar mounted setup I had before; they were just too close to the drivers face.

Something to consider for your setup - the white faced gauge in mine is a 0-5 VDC gauge for monitoring the Vf signal. I'm very glad I put that one in, though I wasn't able to find a backlit unit.

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
Some more pictures, in no particular order. There's not a lot of pictures out there of the Boss Jr., so hopefully that one helps people considering this turbo. The stage 3 turbine wheel is substantially larger than the stock CT-26 wheel. The wastegate port is also much larger.

Attachments

• DSC_0008_s.JPG
    DSC_0008_s.JPG
    446.5 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC_0066_s.JPG
    DSC_0066_s.JPG
    338.7 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC_0001_small.JPG
    DSC_0001_small.JPG
    367.2 KB · Views: 1,344
  • DSC_0002_small.JPG
    DSC_0002_small.JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC_0025_s.JPG
    DSC_0025_s.JPG
    470.2 KB · Views: 345

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
More. The oil line was a tight fit, but it works. Greddy intercooler kit is just awesome and was worth every penny.

Attachments

• DSC_0021_s.JPG
    DSC_0021_s.JPG
    465 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC_0004_s.JPG
    DSC_0004_s.JPG
    393.2 KB · Views: 175

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Wow, you have two really clean and beautiful Supras! They look really mint. Are those wheels Racing Hart's? Sorry if you already mentioned that.

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
Supra28;1381860 said:
Wow, you have two really clean and beautiful Supras! They look really mint. Are those wheels Racing Hart's? Sorry if you already mentioned that.

The Burgundy one is now pretty empty and will either get fully parted out or get sold as a rolling chassis if someone is interested. Never seen salt, or rain in the last 10 years, but it's a "10 foot" car.

The black 89 is a "1 inch" car. Pictures do not do it justice. It looks like it rolled off the showroom minus a few small dings. I didn't get it cheap, but it was worth it. I should point out, every single modification I made can be reversed. All the OEM parts are getting carefully wrapped and placed in storage, should I ever want to go back to 100% original.

You are correct, those are 17" Racing Hart C2 3 piece forged wheels.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Fantastic. Did you keep the original wiring feeding the MKIV fuel pump?

Is that an Espada you have as well (at first I thought it was a Pantera, but the details were a little off)?

Last edited:

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
turbotoy;1381803 said:
I thought about doing the same. I think you'll find that you will have a very difficult time getting adequate visibility of the gauges with your proposed arrangement. I did anyway :)

Ahhh... yes, this is so... however, I'm not going to have any gauges in there, just PFC-Fcon, FCD, Scanner/bear tracker unti, etc... so no worries.;) I'll only ever need to drop the lid for maintenance or adjustment to the "squelch", since my power and speaker controls for the scanner are remotely located.:naughty:

(Of course, in my configuration... all of the Griswald's Christmas lighting-esque gadgetry of my HK$ Alphabet SOUP and ancillary devices are arrayed in the "cockpit" to blind the casual night-rider...:aigo:)

3p141592654;1381879 said:
Is that an Espada you have as well (at first I thought it was a Pantera, but the details were a little off)?

Ha! Thought the same thing... but that would be the Lamborghini, I believe.;)

(Looks like the earlier S1... possibly S2?)

-crisp

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
3p141592654;1381879 said:
Fantastic. Did you keep the original wiring feeding the MKIV fuel pump?

The fuel pump wiring is all stock. The pump was designed for it (i.e. it will not hurt it to be supplied 9V), it's quieter and close to stock; all of which were modification objectives.

You are correct, that's an S2 Lamborghini Espada (the exact year is hard to nail down, but '70-'72 ish). Kind of a long story how I ended up with it, but it has sat since 1990 and is very rough, but complete. The car needs a total restoration and has significant rust, like any of them that saw a drop of rain. People see it and either totally love or totally hate the way it looks. However, everyone loves a 4 liter aluminum V12 with 6 double barrel Weber side draft carbs!

The following pictures were taken right after we removed it from storage.

Attachments

• DSC_0058.JPG
    DSC_0058.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC_0047.JPG
    DSC_0047.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0045.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 142

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
TT, that Espada is really, really neat! Having modern day automotive SEATING industry experience, those SEATS are FAR OUT!!!:aigo:

I was about to ask for the engine shot! that thing is truly a mechanical beauty! G/L with that project... as I'm sure it poses a LOT of challenges...

HEY! Worst case... you can ALWAYS donate the motor to the next IJ project!:biglaugh:

-crisp

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I've got a soft spot for 70's italian cars, so sexy but engineering definitely took second fiddle. I still have nightmares of snapping bolts and cracked castings from the last one I owned.

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
crisp;1382248 said:
TT, that Espada is really, really neat! Having modern day automotive SEATING industry experience, those SEATS are FAR OUT!!!:aigo:

-crisp

Interesting you mention that. The Espada gurus tell me the car has what Lamborghini termed the "executive" interior, which as you can see is multi-colored and VERY detailed. All other Espadas are single color and much more simple. This is supposedly extremely rare, as in there have been pictures before, but I'm not sure if anyone knows of another car with the executive interior that exists anymore.

I need to talk to some leather experts about what to do with it though. All the stitching is rotten and will come apart. The leather itself is in decent condition, there are a few tears on the drivers seat, but that's it.

Thanks for the comments on the garage. That's the reason I haven't been posting in the Supra community for the last 3 years :) You're looking at about two-thirds of the garage, which is the whole walkout basement of the house. The other side of the garage has 14' high ceilings and is setup to have a lift. I still have lots of benches to build, have to install the Bridgeport and lathe, etc. It's all living space above the garage, about 2,000 ft^2 per storey.

3p141592654, I know what you mean.... Design wise, the engine is very very well respected. Metallurgy wise, I shudder knowing what I know from the nuclear industry and knowing how most of the Espada parts were made. Then there's the electrical system... However, supposedly once sorted out the Espada is about as reliable as the Italian exotics of that era got.

Well, I retorqued the head on the Supra and have put some more miles on it. I am LOVING the turbo. It spools just a touch slower than a stock CT-26, which is amazing. Maybe I'm getting old, but I've finally come to the conclusion that I'll gladly trade a touch of top end torque for a powerband that starts below 3,000 RPM vice 4,000 RPM. The car is much more fun for real world driving.