Blow By

Status
Not open for further replies.

austin

Apr 4, 2012
alberta
I knew about the lexus afm and stock injectors hence why I removed it first thing. I thought you could run the stock gear up to 10psi? Fuel cut seems to be 11-12 with some people getting away with 13. The fuel pressure was set at 43psiI figured it would be a bit rich at that, wish I still had my wideband from my last build. The thermostat was the overheating issue, as soon as I replaced it it stayed cool. But I agree that it leaned out and detonated, didn't think it would happen at 10psi though. I think I am going to throw the bottom end from this car in the trash and build the other one I have. I have two of these cars and both were built by amateurs.

I just did a conversion and the AVCR said 0.55kg/cm2 before dropping to about 0.35 but the boost gauge read 10psi and then dropped to about 4-5. So one or both were lying.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Suprapowaz!(2);1833874 said:
http://supraclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=5005

I would have drove up there from TX with my good running MKIII, and drove your truck down for that trade.

So who is the member here? What name does he go by?

Who ever sold this man this car should be dipped in sheep shit, feathered and hung out to dry. Of course, as Mike said, if the car overheated on the drive down the buyer should have walked away.

austin

Apr 4, 2012
alberta
things happen for a reason. yes i should have turned tail and run but i would have felt guilty for making him drive down for nothing. I have a good friend who is going to make sure i don't dwell on what is lost but rather focus on what is left.
The car will be rebuilt and it will be bulletproof when we're done.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
austin;1833956 said:
things happen for a reason. yes i should have turned tail and run but i would have felt guilty for making him drive down for nothing. I have a good friend who is going to make sure i don't dwell on what is lost but rather focus on what is left.
Well, that's certainly a positive way of looking at things man. For what it's worth, I've (sorta) been in your shoes of making a poor buy. The car I currently have I WAY overpaid for. For what it's worth, 4 years later, I'm still paying off financial stupidity from 2008...

LunaVyohr;1833959 said:
I'm legitimately surprised that this thread hasn't been Wall-of-shamed yet.
Hmm, well if there's one thing I noticed about WOS threads, it's behavior that generally gets a thread put there. Sure there have been some legitimately poor choices made here, but people are being civil. :)

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
austin;1833956 said:

Good. It's time you stopped losing and started gaining from this deal. Yes, you got a raw deal, but the best thing to do with a pile of lemons is make lemonade... Looks like a decent foundation for a build. You can get anything you need in the classifieds section of this site.

However, now that you've decided to not give up, start here:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...read.-((NWS-potential))&p=1265349#post1265349

Once you've read that, go here:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...f-you-could...&p=534193&viewfull=1#post534193

And then finally here:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?16034-how-much-hp-for-boring&p=182731#post182731

After that... Start reading everything else on this site. Ask questions - learn from other people's mistakes before feeling the pain of your own.

te72;1833962 said:
LunaVyohr;1833959 said:
I'm legitimately surprised that this thread hasn't been Wall-of-shamed yet.
Hmm, well if there's one thing I noticed about WOS threads, it's behavior that generally gets a thread put there. Sure there have been some legitimately poor choices made here, but people are being civil. :)

Yea, this isn't Wall of Shame worthy... If austin was blaming it on other people, cursing all of us out, or being a dick? Yea. But in this case the guy just got a raw deal and he's feeling the pain. At least he's going to try to turn it around, that's the opposite of wall of shame worthy.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Shit, I didn't see this until now. Austin, you made a dumb decision from the sounds of it. But realistically we've all been there, got a scar from it and hopefully learned something. You're handling it like a fucking Rockstar. Keep up the good attitude and you're going places in life. Combine that mild mannered character with some more experience, knowledge and improved judgement and you're miles ahead of many on here and especially SF, haha.

Take the post above and read up, learn your way to a successful build in a gorgeous modern classic. :)

Don't hesitate to post up here if you're uncertain of a mk3 decision... You may find Supramania saving you some heartache in the future.

austin

Apr 4, 2012
alberta
I really did not consider it a dumb deal. I was willing to give someone a good offer for something I wanted in exchange. Not everyone is out to screw the next Guy over. Would have liked it better if the engine had held together at least until winter though.:biglaugh:

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
The used supra game is a crapshoot at best, i've gotten killer deals, but then i also got screwed over once before.
Learn from your mistakes, do your research, and you'll get there eventually.

austin

Apr 4, 2012
alberta
Here is what happened last time I rebuilt an engine that had blow by. after I rebuilt it I got bored grabbed a welder and went to the junkyard. I never even expected it to live past startup. It was in my 1986 mustang. Yes that is a twin turbo blowthrough carb setup and I used my old flowmaster gutted out for a carb hat :naughty:

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/cavey_03/?action=view&current=5iveohmustang.mp4

p1834191_1.jpg

p1834191_2.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well, if you managed to make that work, I wouldn't be too worried. A Supra can be a fickle bitch, but if you take your time and do your homework first, check, check, and check it again before doing anything potentially permanent... you should be fine. Might also help to read that "how to live with a Supra" thread linked in my sig too. ;)

Also, I always thought when dealing with carbs and turbos, you had to suck through the carb into the inlet of the turbo. I was under the impression that blow through carbs were rather expensive.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
austin;1834191 said:
Here is what happened last time I rebuilt an engine that had blow by. after I rebuilt it I got bored grabbed a welder and went to the junkyard. I never even expected it to live past startup. It was in my 1986 mustang. Yes that is a twin turbo blowthrough carb setup and I used my old flowmaster gutted out for a carb hat

I suddenly feel very proud of my amatuerish fabrication skills.
Was it fast? How did you modify the carb for force induction?

austin

Apr 4, 2012
alberta
Draw through is a cheaper way to go but there is the chance of turning the intercooler into a bomb if you have one and it's harder on the turbo. I rebuilt the edelbrock carb to handle the pressure of turbo application and the extra fuel needed so that saved me a lot of expense. I think the total I spent on the diy turbo build was under 700.00 that included the wideband, boost reference FPR, high flow edelbrock race pump, and boost gauge. When I did that build I knew nothing about turbo's. Learned how to weld on that project also. It failed as I knew it would but not in the way I was expecting. One piston had a flaw in it and the skirt cracked right below the oil ring, was the weirdest thing. I originally thought it was detonation but why would that cause the bottom of the piston to break? Also a piece of welding slag went through the intake.
I was pretty bitter about that and dumped the car for a off road rig. In the end I rebuilt it for the guy anyway lol, cool thing was that the company I bought the internals from sent me a replacement piston and rings free of charge. I had a blast building it and what I took away from the experience was worth losing it in the end.

Last edited:

austin

Apr 4, 2012
alberta
Suprapowaz!(2);1834221 said:
I suddenly feel very proud of my amatuerish fabrication skills.
Was it fast? How did you modify the carb for force induction?

It was pretty quick when I could get the tires to stop spinning. I originally had it as a cruiser so it had 3.73 gears in it and a 5 speed, this equals instant full spool and as such instant wheel spin. I used nitrophyl floats, modified the choke and drilled out the jets. Honestly though I can't remember it all it was a few years ago. Yeah those welds were horrible but they held lol.
link to build, some pics are gone now though. http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/the-turbo-'builds'-board/my-86-twin-turbo-build/

SPOOLINLUST

Feb 24, 2011
nnj
Well glad to hear you are keeping your supra and thumbs up to the guys encouraging you. I just recently made a small mistake buying a gas tank but life goes on and its value is in the fact that the person that sold it is a person you are aware of and know to stay away from. Good luck. PS small block boost is soooo much better lol my buddy has almost identical body mustang engine swapped from a 92 w/ 76mm. Sooo much fun!!

austin

Apr 4, 2012
alberta
OK update time. I have an opportunity to trade this car for a rhd mkiii with a 1jz. it has 92k on it and is completely stock. the owner has many supras and doesn't want a rhd car he also wants me to trailer my two cars 150km one way. should i do it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.