Blow By

Status
Not open for further replies.

austin

Apr 4, 2012
alberta
Hello everyone I am a new supra owner and hope I can get some insight from folks more familiar with these cars.
Story is I got this 91 supra with a new hks headgasket, arp studs and a few other things. I read about the bhg issues and figured this car would be a good risk. The turbo on the car would smell like burning oil after boosting so I thought maybe it was on it's way out. There was a spare ct26 that came with the car so I changed the turbos and did an oil change with castrol syntec 10w30. Now I have real bad blow by, a rattle/knock in the head, and bubbles in the rad. When I changed the turbo's I removed the IC pipes and they had a lot of milky oil in them. There was also a puddle of oil in the accordion hose and in the intake side of the turbo. Here are some quick vids:
[video]http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/cavey_03/supra/?action=view&current=MOV004.mp4[/video]
[video]http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m68/cavey_03/supra/?action=view&current=MOV007.mp4[/video]

Is this engine done? I have only had this car for about 4 days.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
You're getting compression into the oil jacket and the water jacket. Sorry man - bad news - that motor is toast.

If you're very lucky, all it needs is a headgasket. However you won't know until you tear it down and understand why it blew in the 1st place. Either the current MHG was installed improperly, or there's something else physically wrong with the head/block.

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
Yep -- you got took. Real bad blow-by like that can also mean a couple of toasted valves, especially considering you have a knocking coming from the head. The bubbling radiator is for sure a sign of BHG...and not just a "minor" leak at that. Sorry dude...I'd be looking for the guy you bought from and go beat his ass. He knew it was toast before he sold it to you...

austin

Apr 4, 2012
alberta
yeah I traded my 2006 F150 for it. I have one 88 turbo in my garage with a BHG and was supposed to drive this one while I rebuilt the other. Now both for sale.

austin

Apr 4, 2012
alberta
I realize this, but I no longer needed the truck and figured I could get a decent supra out of it. The mods list are as follows:
HKS SSQV BOV
LIPP 3” turbo elbow
Random Technology down pipe
HKS Dragger Exhaust
Apexi AVCR installed and runs
Apexi SAFC (installed, needs to be tuned)
K&N cone filter intake
Front Strut tower bar
The head has been ported polished with a 5 angle valve job and 1mm oversized valves
TRD Oil Catchcan
Spearco replica FMIC
Has the Suprastore brake up grade (SS lines, Slotted Rotors, and Ceramic Pads on all 4 corners)
Clear turn signal lenses
Also comes with a Lexus MAF

So I figured I was getting a car with mostly everything taken care of. If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1833040 said:
What would a 2006 F150 sell for?

Depends on the options. Around here, anywhere from $10-15K USD. I can't imagine they are much more/less in Canada.

austin

Apr 4, 2012
alberta
Aw cmon guys. To be fair the truck had 243000km's on it and wasn't in pristine condition. There was a rip in the drivers seat, and it needed a windshield.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
austin;1833048 said:
Aw cmon guys. To be fair the truck had 243000km's on it and wasn't in pristine condition. There was a rip in the drivers seat, and it needed a windshield.
Nevermind, that makes it all better. Totally worth trading for a car that is 15 years older with a blown motor.
-AM3

TRDownShift

Sep 19, 2010
Austin, Texas, United States
ah, bloody hell... real bad blow-by, knock/rattling sound coming from the head... yeah, my car did the exact same thing, You're motor is well on it's way out... Mine just blew up last week, pulling motor and rebuilding this week :(

Just dont drive it unless you have to >.<"

austin

Apr 4, 2012
alberta
I am pretty bitter about the whole deal, trying to dump both my supra's cheap now. I don't think I will ever entertain the idea to own one of these cars again.

Status
Not open for further replies.