BC Cams Performance

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Damn! Ian, I wanted to say that, but figured... eh, why stir the pot?

Fact is, I doubt ANY manufacturer has actually bolted their cams to a 7M, and done real-world testing.

That's why I'll end up going custom cams, after I determine exactly how my powerband feels, and looks on the dyno graph. I'll use the stock specs (which I'll have on a spec sheet) to determine how much more duration I will go for, and a flow test of the head will give me a good idea how much lift I should go for, as well.

I'll play with the LSA to broaden the powerband wherever the turbo wants it :)

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
are you going to get the LSA preset into the cams different from stock LSA or are you just going to use adjustable cam gears?

7M-fanatic

Banned
Apr 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Doward said:
Fact is, I doubt ANY manufacturer has actually bolted their cams to a 7M, and done real-world testing.

Probably tru about US manufactures.
Kind of explains why BC claims that the stock cams are 256 duration
(they are not)

But I know for a fact that TODA, HKS, JUN, and TOMEI all raced the 7M back in it's day, and their grinds were developed on their race engines.

Pretty sad that all US manufacture's development time is spent flogging the 50 year old cast pig iron V8s......

I guess I'll stick with my JDM cams...........

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
I'm pretty sure the stock cams are 256 duration. That duration was measured at 0" not .050" like cams are usually measured.

7M-fanatic

Banned
Apr 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
bowsercake said:
I'm pretty sure the stock cams are 256 duration. That duration was measured at 0" not .050" like cams are usually measured.

Well, that then is giving an atificial duration increase because it includes the pre-ramp ground into the cams, and is too close to actual valve clearance.

I agree that the .050" is not correct for a cam & bucket style head.
Typically the .050" is used on US pig iron V8s with 100 year old push rod valve train. So much flex, that they had to go to that much lift just to get all the stamped sheetmetal parts to load up.

A more reasonable figure is a half a milimeter (.020").

I'll be pulling a head in the next few days, and will take the stock, and my HKS cam timing numbers.

I suspect that the stock cams come in around 248,
and my HKS cams will be spot-on.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
dude your over lap is crazy did you time in your cam gear per install with dagree wheel and lift guage

and ajustablte cam gear's shine when you have after market cams

supra90mkiii said:
Here ya go guys, I'm posting a video on youtube of my car running on Brian Crower's 264/264 cams. Idle was around 650, base timing at 10btdc. I don't have any dyno numbers yet, because I don't think it has a good enough tune with these cams in it. And because I'm running maft-pro speed/density, it is turning out to be a little bit more work than expected. But It seems to be getting better every day.

Cams were a straight forward install, nothing special.

Here ya go guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzdZJu0lgjE

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
that 7m sounds mean as hell with the cams. stupid question- i know u could tune the 264's with a safc but how much tuning is involved with running the 272's?

supramn21

May 2, 2010
idaho
supra90mkiii;652668 said:
I installed my BC 264/264 cams. Have been driving around for a day or two, trying to tune. It has been taking me a while to tune because I'm using maftpro with speed/density, so all my numbers are messed up. The car deffinatly has a slight lope to it now, about as much of one as I would like. powerband starts above 2500rpm, that's where it seems to pick up. I haven't gone to WOT yet, I want to tune part throttle before I do that.

I'll try to get a sound clip up sometime... oh yea, also I'm running with the newest version of the SP61GTBB....with an open DP :naughty:
I have the same cams installed on my head. Headwork: ported, polishd intake and exhaust, BC 264's, BC springs and Ti retainers, professionally installed with 1mm o/s precision valves. lotsa other work to support all this and 60-1 turbo etc etc etc. no MAFT pro tho...just curious what you ended up degreeing ur cams in at what timing...BC says 8 BTDC... any spec info would help. also i have adjustable cam gears ready to go, just kinda dont want to fiddle with this molarchy...cars been down for months i wanna drive it already and this last thing is annoying me. any help is help. thx