BC Cams Performance

Silvermk2

MkII Weenie
Apr 4, 2005
Stockton, CA
Who even has these things? I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th shipping date now. I think BC only made like 5 set of cams to shut people up.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
Silvermk2 said:
Who even has these things? I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th shipping date now. I think BC only made like 5 set of cams to shut people up.

Look up qwuickstrike's thread on the cams as he has 272 cams.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Silvermk2 said:
I don't understand what the theory behind that is... it'd be more work to set it up and then go back to something else then to just run a whole big batch of them.

7M-fanatic

Banned
Apr 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
mkIIIman089 said:
I don't understand what the theory behind that is... it'd be more work to set it up and then go back to something else then to just run a whole big batch of them.

So true......
I noticed the original thread is closed.
I guess they got tired of people complaining.

It could be that they are actually being farmed out to someone else.
(all or partly being made by someone else)
Or there is a quality control problem ?????

I have worked in industry a lot of years,
and know how the best laid plans can go south in a hurry.

Performance isn't an issue with me, 272 cams will make power.
I guess my concern is quality.
It wouldn't be the first time a US manufacture
(or someone trying to jump in the game)
failed to come through.
Either because of supply chain problems,
or quality control.

And the problems are 10 fold when things are sub-contracted.
Unlike companys like HKS, who have their own foundries
(their parrent company is SIGMA - Very Large industrial outfit in Japan),
taking on a project this large can be a real hand full for someone trying to break out on their own.

I my self was working on bringing out a high quality crank scraper for the 7M.
But the yahoo that had the abrasive water jet machine
was a total loss on getting things done in any type of time frame.
One excuse after another, so I paid him for his time,
and $#it canned the project.
(San Antonio has a VERY POOR manufacturing base)

Any way, I guess we will just have to hold tight, and hope for the best.
The only other alternatives are re-grinds (poor alternative),
welded & reground,
or some of the high dollar bump sticks from the likes of TODA, or JUN.
And I don't even think the guy who owns the selling rights for TODA here in the US gives a damn about 15 year old Supras or their owners.
At least that is the impression I got when I tried to buy shim-under sets from them.
I had to go to Japan to get them, after TODA-USA said they had no plans on bringing any in, even with a pre-paid order ! (typical US franchise)

Anyway, give Brian a chance,
it will be great to have a US manufacture trying to supply our needs.

On a side note,
Anyone getting the cams, and need different shims, I have a LOT of them.
And seeing that I now running the little 10mm dia. shim-under ones in both my engines,
I no longer have a need to keep an inventory of them around here.
I will either sell the whole collection outrite, or trade them out with guys needing a different thickness.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
7M-fanatic said:
Anyway, give Brian a chance,
it will be great to have a US manufacture trying to supply our needs.

I thought everyone who has paid for the cams has given him chance after chance? :dunno:

There's only one person (maybe more, I haven't looked at all of the build threads lately) that I've seen with pictures of the cams in his engine.

Sar-Supra

Powertrippin´
Aug 28, 2006
Currently in NY
I was about to place an order at MVP. I dropped Dusty a line and he told me that it´s gonna take alot of time... That´s been last year... If I would have had placed an order - Jesus.......... :nono:

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Maybe a better question would be to see if anyone has dynoed their car with the cams installed? I guess it is the same question but I guess more specific :) I have seen numbers drop from a particular cam that didn't work on these engines.

Duane

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
As said many times, they are a good thing for the money you spend. Sometimes this is just how long new products take to get produced. Oh, and nothing wrong with regrinds for the money you spend either.

supra90mkiii

Apr 2, 2005
Racine, WI
I installed my BC 264/264 cams. Have been driving around for a day or two, trying to tune. It has been taking me a while to tune because I'm using maftpro with speed/density, so all my numbers are messed up. The car deffinatly has a slight lope to it now, about as much of one as I would like. powerband starts above 2500rpm, that's where it seems to pick up. I haven't gone to WOT yet, I want to tune part throttle before I do that.

I'll try to get a sound clip up sometime... oh yea, also I'm running with the newest version of the SP61GTBB....with an open DP :naughty:

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
My BC 264's just shipped out yesturday according to HPF. As soon as I get my cams in, head on the block, and new engine installed, I will be dynoing ASAP. The BC cams should compliment my newly ported head with 1mm oversize valves.

If someone gave me free dyno time, I could do a before and after cam test to see if how much power the BC cams make over stock cams

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
upgradedsupra said:
I have seen numbers drop from a particular cam that didn't work on these engines.

Care to tell us which one? I go crazy when someone says something but then they don't finish. Was it the HKS? I read somewhere that they had some problems.

7M-fanatic

Banned
Apr 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
bowsercake said:
Care to tell us which one? I go crazy when someone says something but then they don't finish.

It may have not even been the cams........
Cam timing ?
Many times it takes multiple dyno runs to find the 'sweet spot' where a particular set of cams make the best power, and it will not be the same for all cams.

supra90mkiii

Apr 2, 2005
Racine, WI
Here ya go guys, I'm posting a video on youtube of my car running on Brian Crower's 264/264 cams. Idle was around 650, base timing at 10btdc. I don't have any dyno numbers yet, because I don't think it has a good enough tune with these cams in it. And because I'm running maft-pro speed/density, it is turning out to be a little bit more work than expected. But It seems to be getting better every day.

Cams were a straight forward install, nothing special.

Here ya go guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzdZJu0lgjE

Last edited:

supra90mkiii

Apr 2, 2005
Racine, WI
anybody else get these installed yet?

also, I was going to use some obx adjustable cam gears, but they didn't want to fit right, but the stock gears fit perfectly... So I just used the stockers.

7M-fanatic

Banned
Apr 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
supra90mkiii said:
anybody else get these installed yet?

also, I was going to use some obx adjustable cam gears, but they didn't want to fit right.....

Just what did you expect from a chinese cam gear.........
Unorthodox fit very well, Fidanza not quite as good, but still runable.

I wouldn't put an Oh-weBe-junX part on a lawn mower..........

And to think people actually put chinese (XTD) flywheels on cars......