BC Cams Performance

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
al- that's an excellent link. thanks for sharing! :)

-shaeff

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
YOU ARE KIDDING ME!! THOSE TWO IDIOTS ACTUALLY DO KNOW SOMETHING?!

Wow. I'm flabbergasted. I remember when I first saw that '2nr TV' show, and I just died in laughter.

Yes, what they just showed you was degreeing the camshaft(s). It's not some mystic voodoo - it's a damn standard way of building an engine properly.

Even if you don't have a cam card, you always want to know exactly where your cam events take place.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I didn't degree my cams because I didn't know I needed too. Now that the engine is in and running I keep getting told to degree them. It's not so easy with it in the car and I don't have the degreeing kit. I have adjusted them numerous times on the dyno so maybe their set close enough. I'd hate to know that not degreeing them is the reason my torque is so low instead of the overlap. Some 1jz's have the same torque as horsepower, but mine is 446 to 341........that's got to suck.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
You guys ever see the movie 'Falling Down'? That's me, with one more 'super trick' ;)

Seriously, if you are building a motor, you need to measure and document every single measurement in your motor. When you are building a motor for 2x-3x the stock power output, it's even more essential!

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
The ideal way, would be to degree the cams upon install, and then hit the dyno for some cam tuning.

I helped install some cams on a 2g DSM and we got ZERO more mph, or ET in the 1/4 mile. No gain at all. Nothing. Likely due to us not degreeing them.

I would suspect that crower did some work on the motor to find the place where they make the best power. Cam tuning can move that power around on the curve. Either get more mid range power, or more high end power. Additionally, all motors are different. Big valves and a worked head will change when one should open/close the valves.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Another thing, don't just go and scream 'OMG STAGE 2 CAM POWER YAY' and somehow throw it at your motor and think you've got tons of power.

You need to pair a set of camshafts that compliment your engine - it's a system, not just a specific piece, that makes the magic happen :)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Doward said:
You guys ever see the movie 'Falling Down'? That's me, with one more 'super trick' ;)

That was with Robert Duball I think. I remember watching it about five times when it came out. That was a great movie. I wouldn't have paid a dollar for that coke either.............:biglaugh:

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
suprahero said:
That was with Robert Duball I think. I remember watching it about five times when it came out. That was a great movie. I wouldn't have paid a dollar for that coke either.............:biglaugh:

Was't Robert Duval it was Michael Douglas - but yea a great movie

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Wayne G. said:
Was't Robert Duval it was Michael Douglas - but yea a great movie

I stand corrected. I sat here and kept telling myself it was Michael Douglas, but for some reason Robert Duvall's image kept coming in my head. I guess they were both in it though, so I wasn't completely wrong.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
figgie said:
man

the old art of degre lost to the young crowd.

Where is Moses/IJ. when ya need him! (sleeping about now) ;)

The 10 commandment of engine building!!!

LMAO Wayne :icon_razz

I ALWAYS degree my Cams to 0 by the timing tag, this way I have a baseline and then can play on the dyno to see where/how it shifts the powerband around.

I can also return to my baseline if things go bad.

There is no "Magic" and I'd be very surprised if BC had a running 7M to test this on and optimise them.