Arp Head stud issue i created... I got my head back with a minor problem Advice?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So i got my Head back today and this is what i was told.

Head was warped pretty good and that he had to go under the min to get it flat.

He Said the min was 4.560 i assume that's Inches
He measured my head in front of me at 4.545

Should i worry about it ? I've read some other threads about this and some say just don't run massive boost on it. My question is what's massive ?

I plan on running the car on 18psi with a CT26 60-1 using a composite head gasket.

This is just until my other motor is done being built So i want be running this for years or anything like that maybe 8months.

p1841813_1.jpg

p1841813_2.jpg

p1841813_3.jpg

p1841813_4.jpg

p1841813_5.jpg

p1841813_6.jpg

p1841813_7.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
So the head was warped and they just machined it flat instead of straightening it first?

Might be an idea to bolt it on a block put some cams in and see if they still turn... man some pros need a kick in the Nads....

A "shim" will need the same block prep as a MHG unless you put it on top of the gasket under the head... (never seen it done that way)

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1842046 said:
So the head was warped and they just machined it flat instead of straightening it first?

Might be an idea to bolt it on a block put some cams in and see if they still turn... man some pros need a kick in the Nads....

A "shim" will need the same block prep as a MHG unless you put it on top of the gasket under the head... (never seen it done that way)

Unsure how he went about getting it straight. really didn't go into it. he just said that he had to go under the min to get it flat. he also said to him it was not a big deal but that i could use a Shim to get it back to where i wanted.

So being the it is .015in or 0.318mm under i should be okay with just a felpro right?

Will this change the compression ?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So I just got done cleaning every thing including the threads in the block.

I'm re using my arp head studs and was wondering what u should use for lube since I don't have the stuff that came with the arp's and where can I get it ?

Also I put the lube on the bottom of the stud that goes into the block correct?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
You can use a small amount of engine oil and change the Tq spec to what ARP say in the leaflet that came with the studs, tiniest smear on the block end or they will hydraulic in the holes.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1842801 said:
You can use a small amount of engine oil and change the Tq spec to what ARP say in the leaflet that came with the studs, tiniest smear on the block end or they will hydraulic in the holes.

Unfortunately I don't have the leaflet anymore but I think people have posted the specs for using engine oil, ill have to search around for a bit.

Now does the weight or quality of the engine oil matter ?

Thanks Ian.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Nah not at all, you can buy Castrol LMM grease which is close enough to ARP's standard Moly Lube that their spec is fine, ARP shipped thier new UltraTq moly with my last set of studs.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1842806 said:
Nah not at all, you can buy Castrol LMM grease which is close enough to ARP's standard Moly Lube that their spec is fine, ARP shipped thier new UltraTq moly with my last set of studs.

I'll go see if i can find some Castrol Lmm and just go with 90ft lbs.

What does the new ultratq moly allow you to torque to ?