Arp Head stud issue i created... I got my head back with a minor problem Advice?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Ok so I took my had off after removing the arp studs from the block they all came out pretty easy with the Alan key.

Except for 2 that I can't seem to remove resulting in one stripped Alan hole on the stud.

p1840848_1.jpg

Second problem is the the studs are not fully threaded down in the block. Can I get away with this ? Is it a big issue?

p1840848_2.jpg

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You need to knee him in the Nads...

Ues 2 nuts and hold the top one tightening the lower so it locks on the upper then turn the lower to remove the stud.

Chase all the holes and clean out any debris, Yes the Studs even when bottomed will have a few threads visable above the deck.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I've never had the experience of learning how to chase the threads in anything until now.

What will I need to purchase?

Also do you think its still possible for me to save the stud knowing now that it needs to come out ? How should I go about taking it out ?

If I can't save it I was just gonna weld the nut onto it and then take it out.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1840859 said:
You need to knee him in the Nads...

Ues 2 nuts and hold the top one tightening the lower so it locks on the upper then turn the lower to remove the stud.

Chase all the holes and clean out any debris, Yes the Studs even when bottomed will have a few threads visable above the deck.

Oh okay thanks Ian

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Do what I suggested above, Stud should be fine as long as it comes out without tearing up the threads.

M12x1.25 Bottom Tap and a T handle, grease up the flutes in the tap and they will catch the crap and bring it out, make sure you apply even straight pressure on the tap so it's not cutting just following the threads.

You can buy proper chasers but the 20+ years of crud at the bottom come out easier with a tap.

Also keep in mind the Studs go back into the block finger tight.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Would you be concerned with using this head gasket ?

A friend had a spare lying around and gave it to me said it was a Toyota hg but after looking at it it definitely comes from a different company and has all the metal and copper inserts beside one small difference to my old Toyota gasket. First.photo shows this difference.

p1840915_1.jpg

p1840915_2.jpg

p1840915_3.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's got all the sealing parts. Also in that first photo the hg are not in the same position.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1841014 said:
Over the years I gave away 5/6 stock HG's that came in kits, only ever used a composite on my GE once..
Mine actually was pretty good to me i have a feeling it was more my fault it gave out then it's fault.

Although i am still building the other block for a Metal Head gasket this is just so i can still drive the love of my life for in the mean time.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I have spare set of suds from mix match set if you want one we could work some thing out

since if you ever do hg job with the motor in the car you wont be-able to remove the stud all to easy